What does "delayed" mean?

It has been a year since my wife's I485 was transfered to CSC. I called last week to check on the status and received the following email yesterday:

The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required investigation into your background remains open. Until the background investigation is completed, we cannot move forward on your case. These background checks are required to be completed on all applicants who apply for the immigration benefit you are seeking. We will make every effort to make a decision on this case as soon as the background checks are complete. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please contact us by calling our customer service number provided below.

What does delayed mean? Is USCIS still working the case or just blowing her off? Is she officially in name check hell? Will an appointment or anything speed things up?

Thanks

Edited by jdogg (see edit history)
It has been a year since my wife's I485 was transfered to CSC. I called last week to check on the status and received the following email yesterday:

The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required investigation into your background remains open. Until the background investigation is completed, we cannot move forward on your case. These background checks are required to be completed on all applicants who apply for the immigration benefit you are seeking. We will make every effort to make a decision on this case as soon as the background checks are complete. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please contact us by calling our customer service number provided below.

What does delayed mean? Is USCIS still working the case or just blowing her off? Is she officially in name check hell? Will an appointment or anything speed things up?

Thanks

Here is a good series of post on this topic.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26628

We waited almost 1 year just for the first NVC name check. They can take a long time. I am not sure how long I will wait for this one, I-485, but i imagine a long time.

In most cases a name check taking more than a year has more to do with a communication issue between the FBI and USCIS, or that the file is just buried under a stack of papers somewhere.

Sometimes having your congressman's office inquire as to the status of the case can get someone to locate the file and figure out they should have done something. It can't hurt and sometimes it helps.