Need some information, please

Before I start, I would like to say this is the best forum I've found for information related to visa and other matters involving Chinese/western couples.

I married the most wonderful Chinese lady on December 21, 2007, in Chengdu after months of web cam, yahoo chat and voip. I live in Danville, VA and am in the process of moving to Chengdu in the next month or so. It is our intention to live off my SSA benefits and I will also teach technical english. In the meantime, while we are living in Chengdu, we will proceed with the K-3 spouse visa application for my wife. What I need to know is, what papers must I remember to take with me when I relocate. I already have certified copy of divorce papers and my birth certificate, also my passport of course. I will take a copy of my 2007 tax return. Is there anything I'm forgetting? We can print out our chat sessions and emails from pc in Chengdu, or should I go ahead and do that and take them with me?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

if I was you I would live there 6 months and file DCF, may be quicker and she would get conditional green card without all the hassles of adjustment when she first gets here. JMHO

This was another option we have considered. At this time, we don't intend to live in the US, but will visit family, friends and be a tourist. This will depend on whether my wife wishes to stay after we have been in the US for a while, I am remaining flexible. We do plan on purchasing an apartment in Chendu, probably a few months after we are re-united. We could always rent out the Chengdu apartment while we are in the US, if we decide to stay here.

Thanks for the lightning-fast reply.

Bill

You can't file DCF unless you have a Z visa, no matter how long you live there. Maintain domicile in the US. File your taxes even if you don't owe any. Take any and all documents you have including tax returns for the last three years. If you are planning on living there most of the time skip the K-3 and just file the I-130 for spouse. It will result in a CR-1 visa eliminating the need to adjust status once she is in the US.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

If you proceed with the K-3 visa you need to understand that for most cases you will need to be in the US to process AOS. If you go with the CR-1 processing she will receive a green card shortly after arriving in the US, the same holds true with DCF, but as mentioned you are required to have a Z visa to go that route.

if I was you I would live there 6 months and file DCF, may be quicker and she would get conditional green card without all the hassles of adjustment when she first gets here. JMHO

This was another option we have considered. At this time, we don't intend to live in the US, but will visit family, friends and be a tourist. This will depend on whether my wife wishes to stay after we have been in the US for a while, I am remaining flexible. We do plan on purchasing an apartment in Chendu, probably a few months after we are re-united. We could always rent out the Chengdu apartment while we are in the US, if we decide to stay here.

Bill

As others have said.. you should probably go CR1.. but then I would do it DCF style... much higher rate of success....

BTW: Some have reported being able to just show a residence book (and not a Z visa); and others have said they didn't need 6 months to file... Call the local consulate and ask what they will accept...

Guest Rob & Jin

Bill

As others have said.. you should probably go CR1.. but then I would do it DCF style... much higher rate of success....

BTW: Some have reported being able to just show a residence book (and not a Z visa); and others have said they didn't need 6 months to file... Call the local consulate and ask what they will accept...

Good point David, i remember reading that too.

But heres the question, so what we all should do is marry in china, just file DCF at a consulate that does not care your viza type, and wham, bang green card in 6- 8 months, no GUZ no AOS.

Wish I had known that 8 months ago :clapping:

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

Bill

Good point David, i remember reading that too.

But heres the question, so what we all should do is marry in china, just file DCF at a consulate that does not care your viza type, and wham, bang green card in 6- 8 months, no GUZ no AOS.

Wish I had known that 8 months ago :blink:

The feedback has been absolutely wonderful. I had done some searching for information on this forum and the visajourney forum before asking for advice, and I had thought that if I were to move to China that the DCF avenue might be the quickest to get Tianqiong over to the US, but I was not real certain. Since we will not be in a rush, I had felt that the K-3 route would be the way to go. Now I just need to get everything sold here (buyer coming with deposit tomorrow from out of state), pack my clothes and set up the account in Chengdu where the SSA can send my check every month. Will visit the Consulate in Chengdu and let everyone know how things go :boxer: Thanks again.

Bill

and set up the account in Chengdu where the SSA can send my check every month. Will visit the Consulate in Chengdu and let everyone know how things go :P Thanks again.

Bill

I had called the HSBC Chengdu branch when I was in Chengdu 9 days ago, and they said the best bet would be, for a joint account of PRCC and USC, to get a HSBC Premier Account. You need 100K RMB , or about 14K USD , to open one of those. I'm opening one on the 2nd visit towards the end of this month.

OTOH, hey ! there are many ATM machines in Chengdu that will use your current USA Bank-issued ATM card. If you really are thinking to move lock/stock n barrel without maintaining a US Residence address, I'd go the HSBC Premiere Route, otherwise if you need to maintain that US Residence Address - have yer mail address set up with a relative ? You can always view yer statements online anyway, and a relative should be able to alert you to any 'interesting' postal mail.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

and set up the account in Chengdu where the SSA can send my check every month. Will visit the Consulate in Chengdu and let everyone know how things go :lol: Thanks again.

Bill

I had called the HSBC Chengdu branch when I was in Chengdu 9 days ago, and they said the best bet would be, for a joint account of PRCC and USC, to get a HSBC Premier Account. You need 100K RMB , or about 14K USD , to open one of those. I'm opening one on the 2nd visit towards the end of this month.

OTOH, hey ! there are many ATM machines in Chengdu that will use your current USA Bank-issued ATM card. If you really are thinking to move lock/stock n barrel without maintaining a US Residence address, I'd go the HSBC Premiere Route, otherwise if you need to maintain that US Residence Address - have yer mail address set up with a relative ? You can always view yer statements online anyway, and a relative should be able to alert you to any 'interesting' postal mail.

Thanks for the heads up on the HSBC. I have a Bank of America account and they have a partnership with China Construction Bank. BoA said I could use my ATM card at any CCB branch and there would not be any ATM fee assessed..... sweet! No relatives to check mail, but a good friend will volunteer (be commandeered?) to screen my mail. I've tried sending a photo CD to my wife and it never arrived, are there alternatives to sending mail to a PRCC's address?

Thanks again for all the great help.

Bill

Guest Rob & Jin

and set up the account in Chengdu where the SSA can send my check every month. Will visit the Consulate in Chengdu and let everyone know how things go :lol: Thanks again.

Bill

Thanks for the heads up on the HSBC. I have a Bank of America account and they have a partnership with China Construction Bank. BoA said I could use my ATM card at any CCB branch and there would not be any ATM fee assessed..... sweet! No relatives to check mail, but a good friend will volunteer (be commandeered?) to screen my mail. I've tried sending a photo CD to my wife and it never arrived, are there alternatives to sending mail to a PRCC's address?

Bill

use USPS/EMS you can track your mail. remember to write her name and address in both english and chinese and put her phone # too.

and set up the account in Chengdu where the SSA can send my check every month. Will visit the Consulate in Chengdu and let everyone know how things go :ph34r: Thanks again.

Bill

Bill

use USPS/EMS you can track your mail. remember to write her name and address in both english and chinese and put her phone # too.

I had written her address in english and mandarin, but did not know to include phone #. Also, please excuse my ignorance, what is EMS?

An interested party looked at my house today, asked about a lease purchase. If I can show income from such an agreement, plus add in my SSA benefit check each month, how difficult would it be for me to obtain a mortgage in, say, Chengdu? My wife has very limited income, and what she does have is from self-employment.... raising dogs, dog grooming, etc. Would a Chinese bank require that I show a history of local employment?

Thanks!

Bill

Guest Rob & Jin

EMS is the chinese carrier for USPS , phone # can be important as many times the post office dont deliver to a residence, just call to tell you the parcel is ready for pickup.