After getting K-1 Visa

Hi,

My fiancee will be coming next month. POE is SFO. :D

1. Is there a New Immigrant counter to get her paperwork processed, or just use the Vistors?

2. Should I mail the I-485, I-765, and I-131 materials, or go to the San Francisco District Office personally?

Thanks.

Guest enight

hi yan & luke...

you meant paper work for entrance in SFO or for AOS?

if for entrance, she only needs to bring the brown enevlop, passport, x-ray film and hand them to the custom in immigrant line, they will stamp on it, and nail I-94 on the visa.

if for SSN, she can go apply for it as soon as she arrives.

if for AOS, after got married, she can download those forms from BCIS homepage, then mail or deliver in person, it depends on your local office requirment. :D

As for the SSN, it will be much difficult than it looks. They now have a policy, in which you must show proof that you actually need a SSN. So you can't just go to your local SS office and apply.

You will need to get a government agency-related reason for a SSN to be given out. For example, you can get proof from a government agency that requires a SSN, like the DMV. Go to the SSN website for more info. There was a thread about this topic last month.

As for the SSN, it will be much difficult than it looks. They now have a policy, in which you must show proof that you actually need a SSN. So you can't just go to your local SS office and apply.

You will need to get a government agency-related reason for a SSN to be given out. For example, you can get proof from a government agency that requires a SSN, like the DMV. Go to the SSN website for more info. There was a thread about this topic last month.

Not always true. SSN offices will act differently, as many in here have found out. So much for federal "unity" in policies.

In KS ( thank God, we're now in FL :D ) , we got the SSN, no question asked. Once they checked with BCIS POE entry record that is. Not even a "whaddaya need that for? " stare.

Is there a new SSA memo I missed ?? :P ;)

Hi,

For AOS, I checked SF district office. There is an X indicating mailing in the forms. That means they accept AOS forms by mail only? But I don't know what's next. Do they send you a receipt notice? Nothing to stamp on the Chinese passport indicating AOS status and she can stay is US? The 90 day visa will expire if nothing amends it. From a friend, he said AOS interview will take about 8 months to occur.

Also, I heard it is a pain to change her last name to mine. It seems like if she carries the marriage certificate everywhere she goes, she can explain the name change right away.