Regarding the photo scrap book?

One way to reduce the size of photo book pages is to scan them and print on a color laser printer. Then just hand the printed pages in.

I did the whole thing digitally. Digital pics, simply organized in PowerPoint (Word works too but is a little more cumbersome to format) 4 to a page with descriptive labels (date, location, people) printed underneath. As I recall we had eight pages or about 32 photos. I rehearsed Lao Po several times to make sure she understood the labels and could pronounce everything reasonably well.

Regarding the date function on cameras, I believe it adds little/nothing as one can easily Photoshop on any date you'd like.

In my mind the most important thing about the photos is that they show both of you together at varied locations and also include family where possible.

How big is 8x11? A4 paper size? How thick is the window slot? 1"?

So if I go find a 1" thick scrap book and tape our pictures with written detailed dates, names, locations on them, it should be fine and able to pass through the window, right?

Amy, I think you are correct.....8-1/2 x 11 is the A4 size. As for the scrap book, I think 1" is ok, but I dont know if a stiff cover would work. If I am correct (and I could be wrong) the surface is not flat so a stiff book wouldnt slide under. I think Roger correctly explained that there is a trough under the window, and the book would have to bend. To play it safe, just use the sheet with the photos, or if you use a binder, make sure it is a soft cover.

One way to reduce the size of photo book pages is to scan them and print on a color laser printer. Then just hand the printed pages in.

I did the whole thing digitally. Digital pics, simply organized in PowerPoint (Word works too but is a little more cumbersome to format) 4 to a page with descriptive labels (date, location, people) printed underneath. As I recall we had eight pages or about 32 photos. I rehearsed Lao Po several times to make sure she understood the labels and could pronounce everything reasonably well.

Regarding the date function on cameras, I believe it adds little/nothing as one can easily Photoshop on any date you'd like.

In my mind the most important thing about the photos is that they show both of you together at varied locations and also include family where possible.

Jim, on the pictures - we only have pictures together, with her daughter and with her family. Many people comment like you that they work with their "Lao Po" to know the names of everyone.... She knows me and her family. My question is: Did you include pictures of your family that she has not met? That does seem to support "a relationship". :blink:

Amy, I think you are correct.....8-1/2 x 11 is the A4 size. As for the scrap book, I think 1" is ok, but I dont know if a stiff cover would work. If I am correct (and I could be wrong) the surface is not flat so a stiff book wouldnt slide under. I think Roger correctly explained that there is a trough under the window, and the book would have to bend. To play it safe, just use the sheet with the photos, or if you use a binder, make sure it is a soft cover.

ah, thanks for the reminder! I might just adopt Jim's way then. I'm too low tech to do photoshop, but still can handle powerpoint. =D

Amy, I don't know what the alpha/numeric paper size code is for the standard 8.5x11 photo paper. However, I can assure you that 8.5x11 photo paper measures 8.5" wide and 11" long. :(

Next, I did not take my tape measure with me to the ACH's, but as I recall, the slot would most likely easily accept a 2" folder and maybe even slightly larger, if it were flexible. The slot is like a trough and dips down and back up, so if the item is too thick and not flexible to bend, it will not get past the window. BTW, they use a speaker/mic system for two-way speech between VO and beneficiary.

Amy, I am not sexist and mostly a very P/C guy; but since you raised the issue/question, I will answer you. IMHO, based on your personal photo within your profile page, you easily pass the 'girly' test for me !!! :blink: :(

And yeh, Gino is very 'detail oriented'. He just has trouble comprehending that it is you and not your Lao Gong, who does the posting here !!! ;) :o

Thanks, Roger~ I thought this interview is more personal than the regular visa interview, so still glass wall with 2-way speaker/mic, huh? they make me nervous... =X

Thanks for letting me pass the "girly" test. Is it because of the big flower on my head? HAHAHA~

Jim, on the pictures - we only have pictures together, with her daughter and with her family. Many people comment like you that they work with their "Lao Po" to know the names of everyone.... She knows me and her family. My question is: Did you include pictures of your family that she has not met? That does seem to support "a relationship". :rolleyes:

No. Not in my opinion.

Jim, on the pictures - we only have pictures together, with her daughter and with her family. Many people comment like you that they work with their "Lao Po" to know the names of everyone.... She knows me and her family. My question is: Did you include pictures of your family that she has not met? That does seem to support "a relationship". :rolleyes:

No. Not in my opinion.

Thanks Jim. No need to create an extra burden for her then.

I haden't considered this whole window thing either. I was picturing something completely different.

QUESTION: do the pictures need to have dates on them? We don't have the habit of turning the date function on our camera, as it blocks part of the picture. Will that make the pictures not evidential enough?

IMHO, Amy :P or Doug @~@

The photo book is the most important thing to prove the relationship during the interview and you should take your time to do it. I use a "presentation folder" for ours. The first page is the clear time line of us. Then I put each picture on a 8X11 paper that I created with photoshop to indicate the date, place and person's name in the picture, in the order of the date. I also put the supporting items related to the picture (receipts, credit card statement, ticket, boarding pass......) in the next page to the picture. You should indicate the date and the name of the persons of each picture. Really...

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Amy...........I am doing the same thing Gino has suggested, but I scanned all the non-photo stuff and then printed them out on photo paper, better quality!! I also put in a outline for each section in English and then had my girls add a page in Chinese, easier for them to remember. I have my passport, ticket stubs, hotel bills, like Gino suggested. A clear time line of my trips. I also added pictures of the family and us together, the one where Mom was smiling!! Do not forget the famous Gino wear your ring edict!!!! :o

Amy, I don't know what the alpha/numeric paper size code is for the standard 8.5x11 photo paper. However, I can assure you that 8.5x11 photo paper measures 8.5" wide and 11" long. :redmad:

Next, I did not take my tape measure with me to the ACH's, but as I recall, the slot would most likely easily accept a 2" folder and maybe even slightly larger, if it were flexible. The slot is like a trough and dips down and back up, so if the item is too thick and not flexible to bend, it will not get past the window. BTW, they use a speaker/mic system for two-way speech between VO and beneficiary.

Amy, I am not sexist and mostly a very P/C guy; but since you raised the issue/question, I will answer you. IMHO, based on your personal photo within your profile page, you easily pass the 'girly' test for me !!! :o :unsure:

And yeh, Gino is very 'detail oriented'. He just has trouble comprehending that it is you and not your Lao Gong, who does the posting here !!! :P :roller:

Thanks, Roger~ I thought this interview is more personal than the regular visa interview, so still glass wall with 2-way speaker/mic, huh? they make me nervous... =X

Thanks for letting me pass the "girly" test. Is it because of the big flower on my head??? HAHAHA~

Wrong !!! :violin4:

Do not forget the famous Gino wear your ring edict!!!! B)

Yes, indeed. That ring is very important!! :P. I forgot to mention one thing....The bigger the diamond, the better chance you have to pass the interview :smoker: :blink: Just kidding! :smartass: But that ring really make the VO start to type something.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

haha, of course! Doug always nags when I forget to wear my rings (engagement & wedding) out...

I think a good sized diamond can only be purchased outside of China, normally people do U.S. or HK. So that should tell something! X=D

Do not forget the famous Gino wear your ring edict!!!! :P

Yes, indeed. That ring is very important!! :bangin:. I forgot to mention one thing....The bigger the diamond, the better chance you have to pass the interview :shutup: :lol: Just kidding! :roller: But that ring really make the VO start to type something.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

haha, of course! Doug always nags when I forget to wear my rings (engagement & wedding) out...

I think a good sized diamond can only be purchased outside of China, normally people do U.S. or HK. So that should tell something! X=D

My feng has told me, only one ring is needed?? Your thoughts Amy??

Mark! :unsure:

My feng has told me, only one ring is needed?? Your thoughts Amy??

Mark! :whistling:

well, if you're K-1, only 1 ring, the engagement diamond ring, is needed. but traditionally in the western world, married women wear both the engagement diamond ring and the wedding band, both on the same finger. In China, married women are starting to wear rings too, even some married men. But since they don't do the engagement thing, they're more practical and just get married, they only wear 1 ring, usually more fancy than the traditional wedding band, more like a combination of the diamond ring and wedding band, like wedding band with little diamonds on it. So to me, since I'm doing K3, and I do have 2 rings, I'll wear both as I usually do. =)