Hi,

Has anyone out there had experience using a lawyer or firm to complete the visa process? I am considering this in the hopes that it will speed up the K1 process a bit. Did any one have a bad/good experience using a particular firm? If so, I would be much obliged if you could share it with me. Thanks!

Nothing that a lawyer can do will speed up the process. They will take your money, and fill out forms that you, yourself are quite capable of doing.

We have done K-1, and Adjustment of status all by ourselves.

Visa Journey has an excellent guide for K-1 paperwork, Candle has excellent support for preparing for the consulate part, and interview, and VJ has great guides for adjustment of status.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=examples

You only need a lawyer if there is something complicated about your background that will need to be overcome.

Hi,

Has anyone out there had experience using a lawyer or firm to complete the visa process? I am considering this in the hopes that it will speed up the K1 process a bit. Did any one have a bad/good experience using a particular firm? If so, I would be much obliged if you could share it with me. Thanks!

You can open up a can of worms with this question. Many years ago I hired a lawyer to do a k-1 visa and he was a real shyster... took me for a lot of money. I would not post his name on any board as the fear of a lawsuit....There are members of the legal profession who are members of this board and they could offer good advise as to what to look for.What questions to ask in your hunt for a good one if you feel you may need one.

The first thing my "lawyer" informed me was by using him I could speed up the process...He knew who to call and could get through to a person of "a higher level" to move the case along . That was a big smoke screen. No lawyer can speed your case up. Some even make mistakes and slow it down. Going through this process I have found out that unless there are some "issues" in dealing with your case. An example would be a student overstay of your intended .You should be able to do this yourself and save several thousand of dollars. Many times people have mentioned that by using this board and this board http://www.visajourney.com/forums/ you can do it yourself if you have the time . Most of this immigration stuff is leg work done by you.....getting your birth certificate, employment letter ect.. You fill out the forms or your lawyer does this for you....for a price. This said some people feel better having a lawyer handle everything. You collect your needed information. Give it to your lawyer along with a check. ( the fee seems all over the board. )$1500-2500 may be a good range for a k-1 case.My shyster lawyer was recomended to me by a friend and he charged me $5000 and never did finish the paperwork and he wanted another $5000 to file the paperwork for the child to join. I am sure many others will join in this discussion. This board is here to get you through this. Just ask questions and use the search button on this board. We also need to know at what stage you are in . Are you in China ,the US,have you even met yet.

I agree with dnoblett that you can complete the forms yourself.

However, there are other issues you should take into consideration:

* Do you have the time to go through the paperwork?

* Does your gal really understand everything you say?

* Do you really understand everything that your gal tells you?

* Can you prep your gal for the interview?

Roger Lin in Nanning (Roger Lin's website) has done a fine job for Xiaoyuan and me. I can recommend him without hesitation. His fees are very reasonable, especially considering the consulting services he provides for the gals. For instance, I send my gal money through a US bank account that I gave her access to with an ATM card. She did not know how to use the ATM card. Roger went to the ATM machine with her one day and taught her how to withdraw funds from the account. I doubt that an immigration lawyer will provide such service.

A lawyer fills out the forms and checks them for errors. You still have to do all the leg work and gather up all the information. A lawyer will not speed up your visa. It takes as long as it takes. I have seen no higher success rate for those with a lawyer oppossed to doing it yourself. Save your money. Read and ask questions.

This question comes up quite often, but I can't add much more than has already been said.

I will give you my thought process.

1) The brunt of the work in the process is gathering information, papers, evidence, and filling out the paperwork. Only part a lawyer is going to do is fill out the paperwork and will they give it the care and concern you would if you filled it out?

2) The lawyer then acts like a middle person between you and the rest of the process. I'd rather contact USCIS, the consulate, and others directly when needed. I also like getting NOA1, NOA2, and the NVC letter sent directly to me.

3) No lawyer can speed up the process. If they make that claim I'd consider reporting them.

So, what am I getting for a lawyer? If my case had more issues like multiple divorces, someone is a felon, etc., then an experienced attorney could possibly help, but you better do your work and find a good one.

I had a friend that has filed many K1 and K3 visas before and when he found out I was starting he offered to help - for free. I turned that guy down as well and did it myself.

So far everything has been smooth. The hardest part is waiting for all these months being separated.

I cant add much either. Unless something major occured (such as a denial), I decided we can do the paperwork ourselves. I dont see how an attorney can add to a normal process, and as some have stated, ni some cases the attorney has actually caused problems and/or delays.

I looked at it this way: one of the most important factors in obtaining a visa is a bonafide relationship. I figured that instead of spending $1000, $1500, $2,500 for a relationship with an attorney, it would be better used toward my bonafide relationship with now wife, Jie, and I used it for an additional trip to China.

This question comes up quite often, but I can't add much more than has already been said.

I will give you my thought process.

1) The brunt of the work in the process is gathering information, papers, evidence, and filling out the paperwork. Only part a lawyer is going to do is fill out the paperwork and will they give it the care and concern you would if you filled it out?

2) The lawyer then acts like a middle person between you and the rest of the process. I'd rather contact USCIS, the consulate, and others directly when needed. I also like getting NOA1, NOA2, and the NVC letter sent directly to me.

3) No lawyer can speed up the process. If they make that claim I'd consider reporting them.

So, what am I getting for a lawyer? If my case had more issues like multiple divorces, someone is a felon, etc., then an experienced attorney could possibly help, but you better do your work and find a good one.

I had a friend that has filed many K1 and K3 visas before and when he found out I was starting he offered to help - for free. I turned that guy down as well and did it myself.

So far everything has been smooth. The hardest part is waiting for all these months being separated.

All good points here, I did use a lawyer!! The paper work at first was a bit overwhelming!! :lol:

Then I found VJ and then good old CFL!!

I used a Chinese American in Chicago who speaks both English and Mandarin! The only real help was on some forms, but he did call my feng three times to answer her detailed questions!

So would a use one again, maybe!! The form examples here and on Vj are just great, him speaking to my feng and answering all her questions in Chinese, priceless I think??

Mark

Thanks for the input everybody. It seems most are advising against a lawyer. I am living in China and my GF and I have known each other for more than a year. But there is one issue that makes me want to consider getting a lawyer. She is married. She has been in a dead relationship for a long time, but it has taken a lot of work on her part to convince those involved that a divorce is the best course of action. She is trying to battle tradition. Anyway, I am worried about how this will reflect upon our K1 application if we start the process right after she completes her divorce (in the process of doing so now). This is why I am wondering if a lawyer could be of help.

Thanks for the input everybody. It seems most are advising against a lawyer. I am living in China and my GF and I have known each other for more than a year. But there is one issue that makes me want to consider getting a lawyer. She is married. She has been in a dead relationship for a long time, but it has taken a lot of work on her part to convince those involved that a divorce is the best course of action. She is trying to battle tradition. Anyway, I am worried about how this will reflect upon our K1 application if we start the process right after she completes her divorce (in the process of doing so now). This is why I am wondering if a lawyer could be of help.

I'm using a lawyer. We all look through this forum with a bit of hindsight. It all seems easier now. There's plenty of support here for most any situation. If you're more comfortable with a lawyer just do some homework. PM me and I'll tell you what I paid for reference. It is a flat fee. Covers me through the change of status here too. Now that I have the support of CFL I would probably go it alone.

Right here is all the SUPPORT you could possibly need, and its all GREAT info from all these people.

I hired a lawyer the first time around to the tune of $1400 and all he did was fill out the forms, and I did the China Shuffle from documents from the wife etc.etc. And when I got the denial, I called the lawyer, his response was, "all the documents were correct" because it got that far to GUZ. Nothing he could do about the denial.

Since I filed my I-130 myself, here's where I go for info.

I didnt know this site existed until after the deed was done.

Now if I have a question, I put it right out here and receive great advice.