Single's Certificate for someone under 20

Guest Rob & Jin

umm.... I cant see why not , as long as she is single. Maybe will need to show some proof as to leaving china to marry, but then again maybe not. ;)

A letter from her parents might be a good idea / or even a requirement if she is below the legal china age, I dont know, but I'm sure some do.

Good luck

Hi,

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but can my fiancee who is under 20 get a single's cerfiticate (she lives in Shanghai). I saw a few post about a few couples being under 20, but no mention of this.

wlchan

From the Chinese Consulate!! :headbang:

Upon receipt of an application to register a marriage, the civil affairs office will ascertain that both parties are of minimum marriageability age (generally 22 for men and 20 for women, although a higher minimum may be established by the local civil affairs office) and that both parties are single and otherwise free to marry. Persons who have been married previously will be asked to submit original or certified copies of final divorce or annulment decrees, or of death certificates if widowed. The American partner to a marriage in China will generally be asked to submit the following:

a current passport

if both parties are foreigners, one side should present a Chinese residence permit

a "certification of marriageability" which can be prepared at the Embassy on the basis of an affidavit in which the American citizen swears or affirms before a Consul that he or she is currently legally eligible to marry (persons who have previously been married need to show a certified divorce decree, annulment decree, or death certificate both to the Embassy when preparing this certificate and to local authorities. Since proof of termination of all previous marriages will again be required when you file an immigrant visa petition on your spouse's behalf, we recommend that you do not surrender the certified copies of death certificates or divorce or annulment decrees to the civil affairs office. You should take a good photocopy with you when you go to register the marriage. Generally, if you present the certified copy with the copy for their review, the Chinese authorities will accept the copy. This is also true for your spouse if he or she has previously been married.) Please be aware that both the American citizen and his/her Chinese financee are required to appear in person at the Embassy for the above said marriageability certificate.

three photos of the marrying couple, taken together

a registration fee

The Chinese partner to the marriage will be asked to submit the following

a certificate of marriageability (obtainable from the office which has physical control of his or her file)

household registration book

health certificate (obtainable from a regional level local hospital)

Chinese ID (Shen fen zheng)

All English-language documents must be translated into Chinese. Translation of documents usually takes about a month, but can be completed within 10 days at double the original cost. Translations should be obtained from and certified by one of the Municipal Public Notary offices.

Hi,

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but can my fiancee who is under 20 get a single's cerfiticate (she lives in Shanghai). I saw a few post about a few couples being under 20, but no mention of this.

wlchan

From the Chinese Consulate!! :headbang:

Upon receipt of an application to register a marriage, the civil affairs office will ascertain that both parties are of minimum marriageability age (generally 22 for men and 20 for women, although a higher minimum may be established by the local civil affairs office) and that both parties are single and otherwise free to marry. Persons who have been married previously will be asked to submit original or certified copies of final divorce or annulment decrees, or of death certificates if widowed. The American partner to a marriage in China will generally be asked to submit the following:

a current passport

if both parties are foreigners, one side should present a Chinese residence permit

a "certification of marriageability" which can be prepared at the Embassy on the basis of an affidavit in which the American citizen swears or affirms before a Consul that he or she is currently legally eligible to marry (persons who have previously been married need to show a certified divorce decree, annulment decree, or death certificate both to the Embassy when preparing this certificate and to local authorities. Since proof of termination of all previous marriages will again be required when you file an immigrant visa petition on your spouse's behalf, we recommend that you do not surrender the certified copies of death certificates or divorce or annulment decrees to the civil affairs office. You should take a good photocopy with you when you go to register the marriage. Generally, if you present the certified copy with the copy for their review, the Chinese authorities will accept the copy. This is also true for your spouse if he or she has previously been married.) Please be aware that both the American citizen and his/her Chinese financee are required to appear in person at the Embassy for the above said marriageability certificate.

three photos of the marrying couple, taken together

a registration fee

The Chinese partner to the marriage will be asked to submit the following

a certificate of marriageability (obtainable from the office which has physical control of his or her file)

household registration book

health certificate (obtainable from a regional level local hospital)

Chinese ID (Shen fen zheng)

All English-language documents must be translated into Chinese. Translation of documents usually takes about a month, but can be completed within 10 days at double the original cost. Translations should be obtained from and certified by one of the Municipal Public Notary offices.

Sorry, I should of clarified that I was planning on bringing her over here on a K1 visa and getting married here in the States. I read that she needs a single certificate for the embassy.

Sorry, I should of clarified that I was planning on bringing her over here on a K1 visa and getting married here in the States. I read that she needs a single certificate for the embassy.

This might be interesting then??

The age in China is 20 and 22, what if coming here?? Legal age here is 18, well not including some states!! :headbang:

This might be interesting then??

The age in China is 20 and 22, what if coming here?? Legal age here is 18, well not including some states!! :headbang:

It all depends on if the notary office in China will issue this certificate, they typically do not for women under the age of 20, has nothing to do with if you are allowed to marry here in the USA under the age of 20.

Not sure what would happen if she were under 20. She still needs a single certificate. This is from GZ's website

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Here is a link to the GZ FAQ on what you need to take to interview.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/kvfaq.html

This is a good question for GZ speaks.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Not sure what would happen if she were under 20. She still needs a single certificate. This is from GZ's website

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Here is a link to the GZ FAQ on what you need to take to interview.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/kvfaq.html

It also would raise many red flags!! :ph34r: :lol:

Guest Rob & Jin

how old is she ?

if shes 19, if you filed now would she be 20 by the time of the interview ? which would be about 10 -11 months from filing.

Remember the "single" cert is presented at the interview, not with the filing of the I-129f.

Maybe she should take a trip to her notary office explain things and see whay they say.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up...A/2._OF-169.pdf

On the guangzhou embassy of the US, it states that "Unmarried persons, at marriageable age, must submit a certified copy of their unmarried certificate (with one year validity)."

Since she isn't "at marriageable age" in China, does that mean she doesn't need a singles certificate?

You can find out, if you don't mind getting a possible blue slip.

You can play word games, but the bottom line is that they require what they will require. It is best to be prepared with some sort of single verification - UNLESS you can verify ahead of time that it's not needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob&Jin had good advice. If she is 19, then you should be fine, because she will probably be 20 before the interview anyway. It's advisable to wait until a few months before the likely interview to get the certificate anyway as GUZ doesn't like certificates that are too old.

Now if she is only 18, you might want to direct this question to the consulate directly.

Guest Mike and Lily

Rob&Jin had good advice. If she is 19, then you should be fine, because she will probably be 20 before the interview anyway. It's advisable to wait until a few months before the likely interview to get the certificate anyway as GUZ doesn't like certificates that are too old.

Now if she is only 18, you might want to direct this question to the consulate directly.

My wife was only 19 at the time, but we decided to try to get one anyway. Her "certificate" stated that a single ceritficate is unnecessary because she is not of a legal age to marry. It is not required though. It states on the packet 3 instructions that the single certificate is not required for anyone under 20. You may even have difficulty obtaining a single certificate for a female under 20 in China, because they are not legally able to marry until age 20. Good Luck!