How to bring my son in China to USA?

He is 8, studying in Beijing. The problem is he's not a registered resident of Beijing. To apply for a passport, he has to go back to hometown city during vocation. Last summer, my mom took him to the Police Department but failed to get a passport for him. However, he got his ID card then. As his only custodian, I must accompany him (Child under 16) to the PD to apply for a passport.

I have not got my AP yet, so I can't leave. I want to bring him here asap, if possible, next time when I go back to China.

I don't know if a passport is needed for a minor in the documentations? can we file I-130 for my son who does not have a passport for now? Till we get his interview date(guess several months later?), and hopefully I'll get my AP by then, I can leave for China to apply for his passport (takes 15 days) before his interview, accompany him to GZ for interview and come to US together.

Is this plan practical for us? Any advice highly appreciated, especially from those who have similar situation like us.

Yes you can file the I-130 before the person has passport, the passport is needed before visa interview.

So yes your plan is practical.

Note, have your US citizen spouse file the I-130 for your son. US Citizen spouse's "Step-son"

Yes you can file the I-130 before the person has passport, the passport is needed before visa interview.

Note, have your US citizen spouse file the I-130 for your son. US Citizen spouse's "Step-son"

Thanks a lot. Yes, he will file for my son.

Do you know how long before the interview date that I'll receive the notice of date?

Thanks a lot. Yes, he will file for my son.

Do you know how long before the interview date that I'll receive the notice of date?

It is usually a month or more, but the real delay you will have at the moment is waiting on the I-130 to be processed because the USCIS is far behind in processing now.

I would estimate the I-130 approval to be complete somewhere between 9 - 12 months and then it will take the normal times for NVC and GZ to complete their part.

I hate to say this, but you will probably have your green card before the interview is scheduled.