A Co-Sponsor Question

I might need a co-sponsor just in case the interviewer looks for all three years in tax and income info. Don't want to risk the chance of walking out of the place with a frown.

For 2008, I calculated and will make over a little above $21,000 annually.

2005: $8000.

2006: $8000.

2007: $4000.

I stayed in China with my boyfriend for half a year. ^^;

I have a friend who has been making over two years of good stable income so far that is above $24,000. A few years before that, he made a little less. We have known each other for almost two years now. Can he be my co-sponsor? He used to work in California but he decided to move to Arizona and has been there for almost a year. Can he still be my co-sponsor? Is there another specific requirement for a co-sponsor besides the money?

But since I am making above 125% poverty level this year, will I be fine without a co-sponsor? I got my first job after turning 18. Will the interviewer make any exceptions?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Claire (see edit history)

maybe more importantly... what will you be making in 2009.. which is when the interview will occur?

So if your 2009 will look the same or better than 2008, you shouldn't need any help; You could have prepared the 2008 taxes and 2009 employer letter showing ongoing income levels (if it's already 2009 for the interview, you'll might have W-2s or have filed also by then).

maybe more importantly... what will you be making in 2009.. which is when the interview will occur?

So if your 2009 will look the same or better than 2008, you shouldn't need any help; You could have prepared the 2008 taxes and 2009 employer letter showing ongoing income levels (if it's already 2009 for the interview, you'll might have W-2s or have filed also by then).

My fiancee and I are looking forward to our interview date somewhere in Febuary 2009. I will still be making just about the same, $21,000 or so for 2009.

I'm so worried. :(

Why not just get a co-sponsor so you can stop worrying about it?

Your friend might be a little marginal. I haven't run the numbers but as I recall the drill the co-sponsor's calculation is made including his dependents (if any) plus one for your BF. What state the co-sponsor lives in is not germane.

Also in K-Visa cases the Co-sponsor is only sponsoring from time of entry to the USA until adjustment of status. You can be solo sponsor for adjustment of status which should have 2 solid years of good income by the time you do that.
Guest Rob & Jin

Yeah my friend will help me if I need him to co-sponsor me and my boyfriend. He's single and has no dependents. :lol:

Can a friend act as co-sponser, I thought it had to be family and a USC ? I could be wrong , it has been known before <_<

Yeah my friend will help me if I need him to co-sponsor me and my boyfriend. He's single and has no dependents. :)

Can a friend act as co-sponser, I thought it had to be family and a USC ? I could be wrong , it has been known before :whistling:

Friend, Enemy, it dont matter.

Can you be my co-sponsor then? :lol:

I agree with David that 2 years steady income 125% or above of the poverty guidelines should be adequate. Technically the I-134 isn't a required document and isn't even always asked for. What is required is that you can show you either have assets or income enough to guaranty your fiancée won't become a burden on the state. When you file AOS only one year of tax returns is required now, It might be a good idea to have a co-sponsor lined up but I doubt you will need it.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)