I-131 Travel Document

I am having difficulty understanding on how exactly to fill out the I-131 travel document that I intend to file with our I-485.

I have viewed the sample form on VJ, yet still find confusion.

I am filing the I-131 now in hopes to save time and money soon. Perhaps during the wait, my wife and I may travel to Mexico for a weeks vacation in May or June.

I have checked box "a" in part 2 for the above scenario, is this correct?

If this is correct, how do I answer part 5?

Or, should I check box "d" in part 2 for the above scenario?

If so, it tells me to skip to part 7 then states:

On a separate sheet(s) of paper, please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant

issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered.

????

Also, the form I am using expires on 11/30/2007. Is there an updated form anyone can provide a link to?

Thanks for the help.

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

I am having difficulty understanding on how exactly to fill out the I-131 travel document that I intend to file with our I-485.

I have viewed the sample form on VJ, yet still find confusion.

I am filing the I-131 now in hopes to save time and money soon. Perhaps during the wait, my wife and I may travel to Mexico for a weeks vacation in May or June.

I have checked box "a" in part 2 for the above scenario, is this correct?

If this is correct, how do I answer part 5?

Or, should I check box "d" in part 2 for the above scenario?

If so, it tells me to skip to part 7 then states:

On a separate sheet(s) of paper, please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant

issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered.

????

Also, the form I am using has and expires on 11/30/2007. Is there an updated form anyone can provide a link to.

Thanks for the help.

Clayton

Hi Clayton. :(

You should check (d) in part 2.

Do not complete part 5.

We just attached a separate, typewritten and signed letter explaining that she needs to return to China within the next few months to take care of some business related to property she owns. Needing to visit an elderly or sick family member is also a reason some have given. Either or both should be sufficient. :(

Don't worry about the expiration date. When they update them, they'll put them on the website.

Thanks Dave.

By chance, is a vacation to a nearby country out of the question for travel with this document or is it more for more appropriate reasons such as you have listed?

Clayton

I see no reason to mention any other country besides China. :rolleyes: You need to convince them that she has a pressing need to travel outside the US and return. I'm sure Wen Li has some property or elderly relatives that she MUST return to China to see to right? <_< :ph34r:

Once she has the document, it don't matter what country she actually visits.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure you won't be required to provide documentation of the elderly relative or property. We didn't.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Make sure you research the country"s visa requirements you are going to. For instance Canada will allow green card holders to travel there without a visa but requires a visa without one. Case in point, A Chinese woman I know here in Portland had AP and went to China to visit. She booked a return flight with a 3 hour layover in Vancouver BC. They wouldn't let her on the plane because she didn't have a transit visa for Canada.

I have a silly question. My wife has her K3 visa. I thought this visa allows the holder to travel without any more paperwork. We are planning on returning in December to bring her daughter here. I doubt that she will have AOS by then. Will this K3 Visa be enough or does she need to file more papers other than the AOS to return to China?

thanks

I have a silly question. My wife has her K3 visa. I thought this visa allows the holder to travel without any more paperwork. We are planning on returning in December to bring her daughter here. I doubt that she will have AOS by then. Will this K3 Visa be enough or does she need to file more papers other than the AOS to return to China?

thanks

Yes - K-3 is a multiple entry visa. She can travel all she wants during the 2 years that it is valid, or until she gets the green card.