My Sweetie is busy, busy, busy, busy

My Sweetie is really busy preparing for my Spring Festival visit. We have a family dinner for the 3 of us on 2/6, then an engagement dinner for the family, then an engagement dinner and clubbing for her friends, and then we go to Guilin for a few days.

She's also making me a traditional Chinese jacket to wear at the engagement parties....

The jacket will cost 900 RMB...

The dinners cost 1500-2000 RMB/table...

The photographer for our "Chinese wedding pictures" costs 988 RMB...

My Chinese mother & father asked for a gift of American money...

I'm going to be spending some money on this trip.

I keep telling her that will are not getting married on this trip because all of the time that we have waited will be lost... I don't know, I think she has plans for us to marry this trip. The frenzy wrapped around this visit reminds me of getting married in a church. :crazy:

You don't know? It sure sounds like your getting married this trip. Perhaps not legally, but symbolically... it sure sounds like it. :unsure: :blink:

My Sweetie is really busy preparing for my Spring Festival visit. We have a family dinner for the 3 of us on 2/6, then an engagement dinner for the family, then an engagement dinner and clubbing for her friends, and then we go to Guilin for a few days.

She's also making me a traditional Chinese jacket to wear at the engagement parties....

I keep telling her that will are not getting married on this trip because all of the time that we have waited will be lost... I don't know, I think she has plans for us to marry this trip. The frenzy wrapped around this visit reminds me of getting married in a church. :lol:

Sounds like you know that legal marriage kills the K1 and you are back in the starting gate.

On the other hand, if this is a 'symbolic' marriage or informal ceremony, be very very very sure she doesnt mention it or bring pics of it to the interview.

I think some folks believe that by showing the VO pics of this informal 'ceremony', it will be proof they have a true relationship.

However, that can backfire.... I think some blue slips have been given out in the past for 'symbolic' marriages because the VO was suspicious it was a real marriage.......and marriage is a big no no on a K1.

Have a great trip, but as far as the visa is concerned, assuming you dont get legally married, show everything to the VO about your trip EXCEPT that part of it!

Sounds like you know that legal marriage kills the K1 and you are back in the starting gate.

On the other hand, if this is a 'symbolic' marriage or informal ceremony, be very very very sure she doesnt mention it or bring pics of it to the interview.

I think some folks believe that by showing the VO pics of this informal 'ceremony', it will be proof they have a true relationship.

However, that can backfire.... I think some blue slips have been given out in the past for 'symbolic' marriages because the VO was suspicious it was a real marriage.......and marriage is a big no no on a K1.

Have a great trip, but as far as the visa is concerned, assuming you dont get legally married, show everything to the VO about your trip EXCEPT that part of it!

I respectfully disagree, Ken. Our immigration attorney told me the not long that he has successfully handled over 300 immigrations from China and 10 times that amount from the middle east. He states that pictures of the ring exchange banquet can be very valuable added evidence as having a valid relationship.

JimJulian and Yuqin's ring exchange comes immediately to mind.

I respectfully disagree, Ken. Our immigration attorney told me the not long that he has successfully handled over 300 immigrations from China and 10 times that amount from the middle east. He states that pictures of the ring exchange banquet can be very valuable added evidence as having a valid relationship.

JimJulian and Yuqin's ring exchange comes immediately to mind.

I agree with Dennis - rumors get started when someone shows pictures like these, and then is blue-slipped for relationship evidence. If they want to delay your visa, they will. They just need any reason to fill in the blank. USCONGUZ has assured us that they know the difference between a ceremony and a wedding.

Griz,you make me think of that happy day with your post. I've got a burgundy/bright red with black outlines traditional "emporers" jacket I wore at our ceremonial wedding with our family.... I just bought it off the rack in a shop, and drew a crowd as I was tryin' them on :ok: .

We have very serious third part intervention fears, and my "wife" has been thru one big wedding, so we have to sneak around in her city, and when asked about a big wedding she says, "I no needa "other people" tell me okay I marry you, I understand I love you, I no needa other, I no care". So we had her great family together with us.

My China family and I had a ball at our "wedding" dinner, we blasted off 50 pounds of fireworks on the sidewalk in the city, ate like kings...er...ah...emporers, they drank like crazy, we laughed and sang kari-jokie and they got to see my best Frank Sinatra, Steven Tyler, and David Lee Roth impressions as I sang (I even ad-libbed some Chinese songs). and I showed them some fancy moon-walk dancin' as well as the funky chicken and some (three stoogies) Curly dancin'...hell, as well as dancin' with the lil' rabbit, I danced with her son, each of her older brothers, mama, two nieces, and even tried to get baba (the Communist) on the dance floor :lol: He loved it and laughed till he cried and then took my hand and held it for two blocks when we left.

Being the only Communist in the family, ol' baba knows what I went through in Vietnam...At the party I got him to wear one of my combat air medals I gave him and I put all four of the 60's Chairman Mao buttons he gave me on my emporers jacket. I love ol' baba.

I hope you have a great time Griz, man you sure gave me some great memories when you brought this up.

Fairdinkum, I am.

tsap seui

Boy.... I miss my wife and family, they are the greatest people on earth.

Being the only Communist in the family, ol' baba knows what I went through in Vietnam...At the party I got him to wear one of my combat air medals I gave him

I keep telling her that will are not getting married on this trip because all of the time that we have waited will be lost... I don't know, I think she has plans for us to marry this trip. The frenzy wrapped around this visit reminds me of getting married in a church. :P

Good luck Griz and enjoy that party, the family, and the...... well you know!! ;)

Not a bad trip $$ wise compared to what you would spend here I guess. The money to family, well I did the $999.00 and in two envelopes!

Let's hope you get your NOA2 while there and have a real party!!

:drunk: :D :toot: :ph34r: :cocktail: :eatyum: B) :romantic:

Surely VO's know that one can have "wedding" banquets, photos, etc without a Red Book legal marriage.

Yes, of course they know the difference. In K1 cases, they can and do ask to see the engagement and dinner photos at interview.

Hmmmmmm... thery never asked to see ours ... just to see some pics of our travels ... and it's a good thing too.

We don't have any engagment or dinner pics

Surely VO's know that one can have "wedding" banquets, photos, etc without a Red Book legal marriage.

Yes, of course they know the difference. In K1 cases, they can and do ask to see the engagement and dinner photos at interview.

Hmmmmmm... thery never asked to see ours ... just to see some pics of our travels ... and it's a good thing too.

They didn't ask us either and we didn't have any. :D If you're concerned just have your fiancee reply to any request for pics at the interview with: "Yes, I have photos, including some from our engagement banquet."

They didn't ask us either and we didn't have any. :) If you're concerned just have your fiancee reply to any request for pics at the interview with: "Yes, I have photos, including some from our engagement banquet."

We have dinner, meet the family, answer many questions with translator photos, and yes she has them!!

Do we want to show the VO the ones where Mom was smiling, or the one with the expression, what is my daughter doing ones?? :D

Edited by Shenzhen K-1 (see edit history)