Ok....good news bad news

Today Yanlan and Lulu got their PRC cards. WHOOHOO!!!! What a relief until I read Yanlans , wrong name on the card.

I called uscis like the papers said. The gal I got there wasn't very pleasant on the phone. What she said was I need to send the card back, (ok I know), Then I need to send in the I_485 again and all supporting documents back to the office that handled my case to prove that the Government made the mistake.

Is this real? Do I need to send all that crap back to Nebraska again? :smartass:

Guest Mike and Lily

Remember, the applicant is always wrong until he/she proves otherwise.

Look at the bright side. This is a piece of cake compared to what you've already been through! :smartass:

You use for I-90 to get it corrected.

If your card was issued with incorrect data due to USCIS administrative error, you must mail a new I-90 application using Application Reason "d" My card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS administrative error, and any supporting documentation, to the USCIS Service Center/National Benefits Center(NBC) that processed the application/form from which the incorrect card was created. Check the envelope that your I-551 permanent resident card came in to find the mailing address of the Service Center/NBC that mailed you the card. The Service Center/NBC address can also be found on the I-797 "Notice of Action" issued for the application from which the incorrect card was created. In addition to the new I-90 application, applicants are required to send the original I-551 card containing incorrect information, plus the supporting documentation for the requested correction. A replacement application based on a USCIS administrative error must also include an explanation.

There is no fee required. Total filing fee - $0.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Check I-485 NOA1, NOA2 (Welcome) letters, is her name correct on them? If so then it is an error on their part and NO fee should be paid.

Send only photo copies of the NOA letters to them.

Looks like we will be refiling, with the new fees. The NOA I-797C for the EAD has the correct name and the issued card, but the NOA I797C for the I-485 is the wrong name. No-one caught it. Not me, or Yanlan, or the lady at the in person interview.

I knew I was too damn happy!

Looks like we will be refiling, with the new fees. The NOA I-797C for the EAD has the correct name and the issued card, but the NOA I797C for the I-485 is the wrong name. No-one caught it. Not me, or Yanlan, or the lady at the in person interview.

You should be able to get it changed without re-filing, just file I-90 for replacement, and attach evidence of correct name, such as marriage cert, copy of EAD NOA letter, ect.. I suspect code "e" is what you have to check.

Fee for I-90 is $370

You should be able to get it changed without re-filing, just file I-90 for replacement, and attach evidence of correct name, such as marriage cert, copy of EAD NOA letter, ect.. I suspect code "e" is what you have to check.

Fee for I-90 is $370

Thanks. What I meant was paying the $370.00 :(

Now............ which brach of the Government is it I own now??????? :happydance:

Edited by rlheim (see edit history)

Rick ... if the I-485 you originally filed had the correct name I would file for a no fee administrative correction and not include or mention the I-797C. Sure they can look up the I-797C but why draw attention to it.

Simply say you filed the I-485 with the correct name ... and here's the copy, you went through an interview with the correct name, and the card came with an admin error.

Don't send along a check "in case" they might not agree to no fee.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

We got a free "admin error" reissue for my wife because I (foolishly) put her maiden name on the I-485 and in a cover letter asked for the card to be issued in her married name. That's much more our fault than the error on your wife's card is your fault ... ours sailed right through, no questions, no fee.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

Rick ... if the I-485 you originally filed had the correct name I would file for a no fee administrative correction and not include or mention the I-797C. Sure they can look up the I-797C but why draw attention to it.

Simply say you filed the I-485 with the correct name ... and here's the copy, you went through an interview with the correct name, and the card came with an admin error.

Don't send along a check "in case" they might not agree to no fee.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

We got a free "admin error" reissue for my wife because I (foolishly) put her maiden name on the I-485 and in a cover letter asked for the card to be issued in her married name. That's much more our fault than the error on your wife's card is your fault ... ours sailed right through, no questions, no fee.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

Thanks Jim.