Is IMBRA really a problem?

I've read the articles and posts about IMBRA. The law stinks.

My question has more to do with whether the fact that I met my gal on chinesekisses.com will come back to bite me in the butt. I doubt that website sent her my criminal record (one speeding ticket a few hours after Nixon lowered the speed limit) and did all of the other stuff that it is supposed to do according to the law.

Has IMBRA directly hit you?

If so, how?

Is there a way to mitigate the problem?

I have yet to read a post here or on VJ about someone having a problem with IMBRA.

Summer 2006 IMBRA caused major problems because USCIS had to recall every K-1 petition back from NVC and consulate, in order to get an IMBRA questioner sent out to petitioner's and returned and attached to the I-129F. I Missed this nightmare by a month.

VJ has an IMBRA forum you can look through.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=126

The USCIS very enthusiastically embraced IMBRA by waiting until the last minute before it took effect to even look at their forms for possible revisions, and then delaying everyone's cases for the RFE's.

Seriously, I think the net effect is that they will pass along any information about your criminal record to your SO. The question of whether you used an IMB or not is moot, since they haven't made a determination as to which sites are IMB's. Whether you answer "yes" or "no", all they can do with that information is reply "Gee, that's nice!"

Just my perception of what they're doing - basically, a minimal interpretation of IMBRA

I've read the articles and posts about IMBRA. The law stinks.

My question has more to do with whether the fact that I met my gal on chinesekisses.com will come back to bite me in the butt. I doubt that website sent her my criminal record (one speeding ticket a few hours after Nixon lowered the speed limit) and did all of the other stuff that it is supposed to do according to the law.

Has IMBRA directly hit you?

If so, how?

Is there a way to mitigate the problem?

Griz, I can assure you, that the speeding ticket you received, after the 1974 Federal speed limit went into effect some 34 years ago, did not make it onto your NCIC file and into the data base; unless you were physically arrested and a booking sheet was produced, along the way.

Unless there is a physical arrest and booking (such as with a DUI) neither a traffic misdemeanor, nor a traffic infraction, will ever be entered into your NCIC file, which is maintained by the FBI, and built upon arrest information supplied by local, city, county, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.

Moreover, as Randy and Dan have said, other than the initial delays in 2006, due to the RFE¡¯s during the transition period, there has not been any negative fallout, for most of us here, with respect to this new provision.

Therefore, I am not sure why you feel this law ¡°stinks¡±.

IMO, while no law may be perfect in its language and or application; in this case, I think the positives outweigh any negatives, with respect to some level of protection, for the collective group of woman, that we so much care for.

Again, this is just my view of things.

Therefore, I am not sure why you feel this law ¡°stinks¡±.

...I think the positives outweigh any negatives, with respect to some level of protection...

The law stinks because it was passed and signed into law in the first place! It is a control on the 1st Amendment rights of American men.

...positives... Are there positives?

If there is any level of protection for women communicating with American male predators...then I applaud it.

...but we all know better than that, Roger. It is simply another control to be imposed selectively on a small group of people who used to be free.

<RANT = ON>

Laws are imposed on law abiding citizens because government and law enforcement doesn't have the will or the courage to impose laws on the law breakers.

<RANT = OFF>

Fortunately, this law appears to be gathering dust - which I did not know and was the reason for the post. However, as long as it exists it is what people in the security business (like myself) would classify as a threat.

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)