Letters throughout the process

rogerinca did a very good post in another thread by differentiating between two types of letters... I thought I would take that one step further and see about identifying the various letters that appear to be done by some during the process:

1. Submitted with petition:

a. Affadavit to marry letter, K1. Sometimes this can be extended a little bit to include how you meet and some timeline info which finishes with the comments on intention to marry.

b. Background Letter. I hesitate to call this an evolution of the relationship since it's often not really a long courtship and much more time transpires before an interview. So this should describe how you meet, and some have done a timeline approach of what you have done together.

c. Divorce information. Another consideration is whether to provide information about either partner's 'ex' spouse, since this is being asked for more frequently in blue slips. If done, should probably go as part of the background letter and provide their name, SSN, address, phone.

2. RFE:

a. Item USCIS identified. Return the necessary info/evidence. Include a cover letter is optional but probably good to do.

b. Item USCIS did not identify. you can include other corrections if you notice one they didn't request; use a cover letter to explain the additional issue and provide any supporting doc as needed; return with the RFE.

3. NVC, CR1 only:

CR1s spend a few months doing the paper shuffle with NVC... if something is found to be incorrect during this stage, try to fix it with NVC. But consider if it's minor or really needs correction since the petition has been approved; will it affect a namecheck? If yes, then fix it now.

4. Submitted back with P3 docs:

a. Relationship letter. I don't really recommend filing a relationship letter mid-stream of process and they don't really expect it at this juncture... but I recall someone who did...

b. Correction. Sometimes there is something to correct on a previous stage of the filing and it was not caught but you want to fix it. That can be done by returning a cover letter with P3 and explaining the correction. Usually this is something like a name or DOB issue. Include a copy of a birth certificate. But consider if it's minor or really needs correction since the petition has been approved; will it affect a namecheck? If yes, then fix it now.

5. Interview:

a. Letter of introduction. Some will write-up a letter to introduce the couple to the VO and may also include a list of evidence on hand that one is ready with. Seems to be accepted in very few cases despite it's seemingly good intention. Keep to one page if possible.

b. CD on hand. One member's SO was able to get the VO to look at a CD disk of pictures. This is undoubtedly a rare event... never seen it happen again. I would not necessarily spend time to do this.

c. Evolution of the relationship. This is a preemptive letter which some have written and is usually not accepted by the VO since if they want something specific it's probably not in there anyway. But this kind of letter can repeat to a small degree how you meet, trips taken to china, and time spent together; Thus it covers the relationship since the petition filing. keep to one page if possible.

6. Overcome/Blue Slip:

a. Evolution of the relationship. This is asked for more frequently and usually has specific requests for information. So it's best to stick to the points requested. Often the VO wants to know how you meet, how the trips to china were paid for, a timeline showing certain stage (period from divorce to trips to china), etc.

b. Divorce information. Sometimes a VO requests information about either partner's 'ex' spouse. Often they ask for the 'ex' spouse's name, SSN, address, phone, and some type of bill showing the address is current.

----

NOTARIZATION:

While letters are usually not needing to be notarized, I would tend to notarize most letters (except cover letters) I wrote since I am not the one handing it over in some cases... and prevents a request for a notarized copy. I would type these letters unless as part of a request, then follow the request.

-----

I'll update this as I see examples of submitting letters, corrections, etc not mentioned above.

rogerinca did a very good post in another thread by differentiating between two types of letters... I thought I would take that one step further and see about identifying the various letters that appear to be done by some during the process:

1. Submitted with petition:

a. Affadavit to marry letter, K1. Sometimes this can be extended a little bit to include how you meet and some timeline info which finishes with the comments on intention to marry.

b. Background Letter. I hesitate to call this an evolution of the relationship since it's often not really a long courtship and much more time transpires before an interview. So this should describe how you meet, and some have done a timeline approach of what you have done together.

c. Divorce information. Another consideration is whether to provide information about either partner's 'ex' spouse, since this is being asked for more frequently in blue slips. If done, should probably go as part of the background letter and provide their name, SSN, address, phone.

2. RFE:

a. Item USCIS identified. Return the necessary info/evidence. Include a cover letter is optional but probably good to do.

b. Item USCIS did not identify. you can include other corrections if you notice one they didn't request; use a cover letter to explain the additional issue and provide any supporting doc as needed; return with the RFE.

3. NVC, CR1 only:

CR1s spend a few months doing the paper shuffle with NVC... if something is found to be incorrect during this stage, try to fix it with NVC. But consider if it's minor or really needs correction since the petition has been approved; will it affect a namecheck? If yes, then fix it now.

4. Submitted back with P3 docs:

a. Relationship letter. I don't really recommend filing a relationship letter mid-stream of process and they don't really expect it at this juncture... but I recall someone who did...

b. Correction. Sometimes there is something to correct on a previous stage of the filing and it was not caught but you want to fix it. That can be done by returning a cover letter with P3 and explaining the correction. Usually this is something like a name or DOB issue. Include a copy of a birth certificate. But consider if it's minor or really needs correction since the petition has been approved; will it affect a namecheck? If yes, then fix it now.

5. Interview:

a. Letter of introduction. Some will write-up a letter to introduce the couple to the VO and may also include a list of evidence on hand that one is ready with. Seems to be accepted in very few cases despite it's seemingly good intention. Keep to one page if possible.

b. CD on hand. One member's SO was able to get the VO to look at a CD disk of pictures. This is undoubtedly a rare event... never seen it happen again. I would not necessarily spend time to do this.

c. Evolution of the relationship. This is a preemptive letter which some have written and is usually not accepted by the VO since if they want something specific it's probably not in there anyway. But this kind of letter can repeat to a small degree how you meet, trips taken to china, and time spent together; Thus it covers the relationship since the petition filing. keep to one page if possible.

6. Overcome/Blue Slip:

a. Evolution of the relationship. This is asked for more frequently and usually has specific requests for information. So it's best to stick to the points requested. Often the VO wants to know how you meet, how the trips to china were paid for, a timeline showing certain stage (period from divorce to trips to china), etc.

b. Divorce information. Sometimes a VO requests information about either partner's 'ex' spouse. Often they ask for the 'ex' spouse's name, SSN, address, phone, and some type of bill showing the address is current.

----

NOTARIZATION:

While letters are usually not needing to be notarized, I would tend to notarize most letters (except cover letters) I wrote since I am not the one handing it over in some cases... and prevents a request for a notarized copy. I would type these letters unless as part of a request, then follow the request.

-----

I'll update this as I see examples of submitting letters, corrections, etc not mentioned above.

David question??

Number 4, part B!

My feng's I-129F had the wrong birth city, but her birth certificate, DS-230 and G-325A all agree and we have been approved. Ignore it or include a correction page??

Also we turned in the original bith certificate for mom and daughter along with her divorce papers. Will we need originals down the road??

I would have PM you but figured someone may have the same question.

Mark

Number 4, part B!

My feng's I-129F had the wrong birth city, but her birth certificate, DS-230 and G-325A all agree and we have been approved. Ignore it or include a correction page?? You missed the opportunity at P3 submission to add the correction page. You could EMS it to GUZ, but at this point of time I would let it go (JMHO). If questioned at interview about it, I would have Feng say with a shrug of her head that "my fiance is just a confused man at times who did not listen to me at first, but with my help now all is correct on every other paper that has been submitted and approved".

Also we turned in the original bith certificate for mom and daughter along with her divorce papers. Will we need originals down the road?? Yes. Read and memorize these 2 links, it will do you good in the future. All is from the big dogs mouth and provides many useful tips and information. She will need a complete set at the medical which will become part of your POE package never to be seen again by you. You should also have at least 2 complete sets of the papers to have in the USA for all future needs. It would really suck to have to go back to China for the papers in the future when you can get them now.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/

Number 4, part B!

My feng's I-129F had the wrong birth city, but her birth certificate, DS-230 and G-325A all agree and we have been approved. Ignore it or include a correction page?? You missed the opportunity at P3 submission to add the correction page. You could EMS it to GUZ, but at this point of time I would let it go (JMHO). If questioned at interview about it, I would have Feng say with a shrug of her head that "my fiance is just a confused man at times who did not listen to me at first, but with my help now all is correct on every other paper that has been submitted and approved".

Also we turned in the original bith certificate for mom and daughter along with her divorce papers. Will we need originals down the road?? Yes. Read and memorize these 2 links, it will do you good in the future. All is from the big dogs mouth and provides many useful tips and information. She will need a complete set at the medical which will become part of your POE package never to be seen again by you. You should also have at least 2 complete sets of the papers to have in the USA for all future needs. It would really suck to have to go back to China for the papers in the future when you can get them now.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/

We turned in original divorce and birth papers with I-129F. So get four original copies for future use and to bring here??

We turned in original divorce and birth papers with I-129F. So get four original copies for future use and to bring here??

Ok, I will go more slow. :angry:

You will need a complete set to turn in at the medical exam prior to interview, look at the GUZ website (link I provided) under visa packet contents and what you will need at the interview and P4 and medical.

The ones you sent in with the I-129F are moot at this point of time, your lawyer probably made you do it and it was not necesary (copies only).

It is an extremely good idea now to get 2-3 complete sets of birth and divorce for each person to have in the USA for future use as they do not expire (first notary is most expensive, the 2nd and 3d copies are quite cheap if done at the same time). You never know when an original will be kept or asked for (hence the extra copies), so it is easier to get it now than in the future when she is already here. The ones that expire (single and police) are not needed in the USA, so no extra copies are needed.

Ok, I will go more slow. :huh:

You will need a complete set to turn in at the medical exam prior to interview, look at the GUZ website (link I provided) under visa packet contents and what you will need at the interview and P4 and medical.

The ones you sent in with the I-129F are moot at this point of time, your lawyer probably made you do it and it was not necesary (copies only).

It is an extremely good idea now to get 2-3 complete sets of birth and divorce for each person to have in the USA for future use as they do not expire (first notary is most expensive, the 2nd and 3d copies are quite cheap if done at the same time). You never know when an original will be kept or asked for (hence the extra copies), so it is easier to get it now than in the future when she is already here. The ones that expire (single and police) are not needed in the USA, so no extra copies are needed.

That is what I thought but after talking to the Mrs. this morning for 3 hours, early. I have a headache!! :angry:

That is what I thought but after talking to the Mrs. this morning for 3 hours, early. I have a headache!! :blink:

:ph34r:

It was daughter's birth certificate that was wrong. I told her to get the new ones and turn in with medical at the proper time and it should be fine??

Four each- birth certificate for daughter, Mom, birth certificate and divorce papers. I also told her might as well update the rest while there, police paper and other stuff expires 3/22/2008!! :blink: Also daughter is 16 on 3/13, so if not there by then will need police certificate for her! :D :D