All about I-134...

Hi everyone,

Really glad to be part of this group. This is my first post. I have been browsing a lot of the posts here and its obvious that there is some real camaraderie among the users here. I like it!

First a little background. I met my ÇØ°®µÄ in Nanjing in November 2006 through one of my American friends who is teaching English at her University. He lives in a town 2 hours away by train to Nanjing. He came to Nanjing to visit me and brought three of his students (she being one of them). A week after I met her, we began talking to each other every night on the phone, and it has remained like that ever since. In September 2007 we got engaged on the Great Wall. Then we sent in our I-129F for K-1 Fiance visa. The USCIS received it on October 18, 2007. That's where things stand now.

Ok, now my questions.

1) Regarding the I-134, when should I send it in to USCIS? Before or after our I-129F is approved?

2) I am starting grad school in the fall of 2008 in the U.S. At first I was planning to fill out my FAFSA with my soon-to-be wife included to receive funding, but after seeing the I-134 where it stipulates she must prove she will not be a "public charge", I am wondering if that idea is blown out of the window. Should I assume that?

3) I tried calling USCIS -- California Service Center to answer some questions, but could not talk to an actual person. Does anyone know how to get around that? I figured there was no way except to use this excellent group as an outlet.

Thanks in advance!

-Brandon

1) NO, it is required at the K-Visa interview.

2) US Citizen petitioner provides the I-134, and if the US citizen cannot meet 125% povertyline when counting self, fiancee, and any dependents then you need to employ a Joint Sponsor that can meet this requirement. The joint sponsor will also provide an I-134, and perhaps later you can use the joint sponsor for the stronger I-864 used for Adjustment of Status for Green-card

3) No way to call USCIS CSC, you can call the national 800 number but many have indicated getting bad information from them, you are better off asking questions of others on this board who have already dealt with this.

One thing about I-134, the directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Dnoblett,

A little confused still about the procedure for the I-134. On the USCIS web site (on the 'Immigration Forms' section), it says "Once the [i-134] form is affirmed, it should be mailed to the same USCIS office where the application was filed." That leads me to believe that once I have my fiance's sponsor (my mom) fill out the I-134, my mom will then need to send it to the USCIC Calif. Service Center. Am I misinterpreting what the USCIS web site says?

Seems that the I-134 isn't necessary according to what people say on this discussion board.

Can anyone give me an official web site which has explicit instructions on what to do for the I-134/financial bit of this K-1 process?

Again, glad to be a newbie of this group.

-Brandon

1) NO, it is required at the K-Visa interview.

2) US Citizen petitioner provides the I-134, and if the US citizen cannot meet 125% povertyline when counting self, fiancee, and any dependents then you need to employ a Joint Sponsor that can meet this requirement. The joint sponsor will also provide an I-134, and perhaps later you can use the joint sponsor for the stronger I-864 used for Adjustment of Status for Green-card

3) No way to call USCIS CSC, you can call the national 800 number but many have indicated getting bad information from them, you are better off asking questions of others on this board who have already dealt with this.

One thing about I-134, the directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

Dnoblett,

A little confused still about the procedure for the I-134. On the USCIS web site (on the 'Immigration Forms' section), it says "Once the [i-134] form is affirmed, it should be mailed to the same USCIS office where the application was filed." That leads me to believe that once I have my fiance's sponsor (my mom) fill out the I-134, my mom will then need to send it to the USCIC Calif. Service Center. Am I misinterpreting what the USCIS web site says?

Seems that the I-134 isn't necessary according to what people say on this discussion board.

Can anyone give me an official web site which has explicit instructions on what to do for the I-134/financial bit of this K-1 process?

Again, glad to be a newbie of this group.

-Brandon

Again as I said USCIS has not updated page or the form's directions. This form is only used for NON-Immigrant visas, and is only used at the consulates. It is not needed for the I-129F submission, just needed to be in hand for the visa interview at the consulate.
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm back! :blink:

Since my last post, we have received our NOA2 and are now waiting for P3.

I am still wondering and worrying about the I-134.

My mom is going to be the sponsor and she has already filled out the I-134 and has given me all her pertinent financial information.

I'm in China right now but will be leaving in late July (which just so happens to be right around the time we are expecting her GUZ interview).

I won't have a job when i go back to the U.S. because i'll be a new full-time student.

My question is... since I already have a sponsor (my mom), do I need to fill out a I-134 for myself as well? And what about my taxes? I didn't even file in 2007 because I was in China, and I haven't filed for 2008 yet either. I mean, I make such little money that it isn't necessary to file... unless its going to come back and bite me with this visa thing...

• 2 months later...

I too have some questions about the I-134.

Here is my situation:

I was deployed for the military from July 2006 to November 2007. I made plenty of money in the military to cover me and my fiance, but......when I left the military I stayed in the states for a month and then I came to China to be with her. I have been teaching English in China since January and although I make pretty good money by China standards while here in China, I do not make more than 125% of the poverty level at home. This is not a huge problem though because my mother is going to sponsor me and my fiance.

My questions:

1.) Should I still fill out a I-134?

2.) I am in China, if I need an I-134, where should I get it certified/notarized?

3.) Is there anything that I should be doing extra because I have a sponsor?

Thanks, any information is greatly appreciated

Guest Rob & Jin

you both still need to file a tax return for 2007 :lol:

My understanding you need a I-134 for yourselves as well as any co- sponsors.

Notary could be done at any US consulate

Good luck :)