The Rise of China and the Future of the West...

David Zixuan,

I'm afraid this conversation would get too political for CFL. I have some examples that I would like to bring up of how China is not in fact isolationist, mostly having to do with certain "parts of the country" that well, let's just say march to the beat of a different drum. But this is not the place for all that. Plus, I really like your kitchen sinks so I wouldn't want to risk getting into a row with you. Hehe.

[if people would stop worrying and stop posting the word POLITICAL, then maybe more could be accepted; but too many make much ado about it sometimes--not picking on you Pha.. I'd like to hear you out].

I think the point is that people think we CANNOT talk about anything political at all... :( That has never been the case... :D But getting into US politics is just not possible here without a fight breaking out... :o as has been proven many times... :mf_sleep:

But in talking about China we do not seem to get into the same kind of fisticuffs so please pha, feel free to tell us what is on your mind... :) :P

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to different parts of the country marching to a different drum... this is a very true historical issue.. the further you are from the central government, the more freedoms one exhibits and the less interference that occurs...

I remember there's a chinese saying that goes something like 'the sky is wide and the emperor is far away'

the chinese are nothing if not practical :ph34r:

As to different parts of the country marching to a different drum... this is a very true historical issue.. the further you are from the central government, the more freedoms one exhibits and the less interference that occurs...

I remember there's a chinese saying that goes something like 'the sky is wide and the emperor is far away'

the chinese are nothing if not practical :D

another saying went: 'to attend the emperor is like sleeping with a tiger'.

Confucius said about the same: 'A harsh and oppressive government is more ferocious and fearsome than even a tiger'.

It's interesting that both daoism and confucianism advocated a government which does less [and what would result]: if the government would not interfere [in people's lives], the people would not cause a disturbance... which implies they would put their energy to more useful endeavors...

David Zixuan,

I'm afraid this conversation would get too political for CFL. I have some examples that I would like to bring up of how China is not in fact isolationist, mostly having to do with certain "parts of the country" that well, let's just say march to the beat of a different drum. But this is not the place for all that. Plus, I really like your kitchen sinks so I wouldn't want to risk getting into a row with you. Hehe.

My point was they appear to have some history of isolationism that might of been a part of why they didn't emerge earlier in history on a global scale...

I'm not saying they are necessarily as much of one now... and I'm sure there are examples of non-isolationism in their past (obviously they traded for a long time); my thinking is about that aspect of it which may of been used intentional (in the past_ to just keep them not worrying about being global leaders. Certainly, today is different and the thinking is different...

Your free to share issues about china and it's history as it pertains to 'their rise' or the future of the west.. that is the topic...

As to different parts of the country marching to a different drum... this is a very true historical issue.. the further you are from the central government, the more freedoms one exhibits and the less interference that occurs... I think the split in the Song Dynasty was a force in this direction... and maybe no doubt that the merchantile ports in the south were so successful... and why opium trade persisted beyond the ban set by the northern captial (BJ)...

[if people would stop worrying and stop posting the word POLITICAL, then maybe more could be accepted; but too many make much ado about it sometimes--not picking on you Pha.. I'd like to hear you out].

Yeah,what is it with the "fear" to post politics on this board.Discussions,debate,very healthy.No one should be afraid of other peoples opinions and beliefs.At the end of the day,we are still a CFL family.

Yes, I agree 100 per cent. But, I live in a country that is not free. People are not allowed to speak their minds and many have gotten their lives destroyed by what we would consider healthy debate. Also, I have to consider the people around me when I decide to make controversial statements in writing. How will this effect them? That's part of the reason why I am coming home in the first place. For those who want to continue, I'll pick up where I left off in a few months.

Guest knloregon

Well,

I'm certainly enjoying everyones ponit of view here, about central power of the Emperor---which I think closely reflects Beijing's central authority and control---the traditional saying I have heard: "The Emperor's rule is law, but there are many mountain ranges between here and the Emperor.."