Conversion from PRC to USA Passport for Lao Po

At what point in the process, can Lao Po and child, qualify for/be issued a US Passport ??

I understand the spouse and/or foreign born child, do not have to be USC¡¯s to obtain a US Passport; but am not clear as to how soon after the AOS and the Green Card is issued, they can apply for the US Passport ?? I do not recall any recent discussions here, in this regard.

My wife¡¯s PRC passport expires in about 2.5 years (daughter¡¯s in 5 years) and I am wondering what most other's do, after their Lao Po¡¯s PRC passport expires, or is close to expiration ??

At what point in the process, can Lao Po and child, qualify for/be issued a US Passport ??

I understand the spouse and/or foreign born child, do not have to be USC¡¯s to obtain a US Passport; but am not clear as to how soon after the AOS and the Green Card is issued, they can apply for the US Passport ?? I do not recall any recent discussions here, in this regard.

My wife¡¯s PRC passport expires in about 2.5 years (daughter¡¯s in 5 years) and I am wondering what most other's do, after their Lao Po¡¯s PRC passport expires, or is close to expiration ??

She must wait for three years after getting her green card, and then apply for citizenship. Only US citizens can hold US passports.

The green card along with her Chinese passport allows her easier access to some countries (I'm not sure which ones, so I won't try mentioning them).

She must wait for three years after getting her green card, and then apply for citizenship. Only US citizens can hold US passports.

The green card along with her Chinese passport allows her easier access to some countries (I'm not sure which ones, so I won't try mentioning them).

Hmmmm, I was not aware that actual citizenship was required for the Green Card holding spouse of a USC, to obtain the US Passport........

So, it sounds like, for travel purposes, my wife will have to renew her PRC passport at some point in the next two years ?? In that regard, I am assuming she can accomplish this at the regional PRC Consulate (San Francisco) and not have to return to the PRC to do ???

Hmmmm, I was not aware that actual citizenship was required for the Green Card holding spouse of a USC, to obtain the US Passport........

So, it sounds like, for travel purposes, my wife will have to renew her PRC passport at some point in the next two years ?? In that regard, I am assuming she can accomplish this at the regional PRC Consulate (San Francisco) and not have to return to the PRC to do ???

Yes - more than a few people from CFL have done that and reported on it. I think the rules changed recently so that she will have to go in person, or through a visa agency who will handle it for her (not necessarily in SF). They used to accept renewals by mail.

Thanks B)

Yes - more than a few people from CFL have done that and reported on it. I think the rules changed recently so that she will have to go in person, or through a visa agency who will handle it for her (not necessarily in SF). They used to accept renewals by mail.

Thanks again so much Randy !!! :D

You know, I don't care what David Z. says about you guys from the great state of Texas; I think you are all a bunch of great guys !!!! :ph34r:

So to travel back home???

1. GC with married name.

2. Current Chinese passport with name change in it??