Re-setting the clock

I leave for Spring Festival with the Visa clock at 190 days.

If I decide to marry during Spring Festival, that resets the Visa clock, correct? <_<

I see two reasons to endure that setback:

- solidifying the commitment

- family integrity/face

Are there other reasons that should be considered as well?

I know some of you have taken the setback. What were your reasons? What are you thoughts?

If I decide to marry during Spring Festival, that resets the Visa clock, correct? <_<

- family integrity/face

I know some of you have taken the setback. What were your reasons? What are you thoughts?

Another consideration is by marrying her you can apply for a CR-1 visa which gives her immediate residency, allow her to get a SSAN without work restrictions, bypasses the 90 day restriction on having to get married and the associated adjustment of status along with the associated fees.

The down side is that in two years she will need to apply for removal of Conditional Resident status for that of Immigrant Resident status which is good for 10 years.

After three years of continuous residence in the US she will also be eligible for US Citizenship (which my wife dearly wants).

The only fees I paid in the entire process from beginning to now have been:

1) The I-130 filing fee

2) State Department income verification fee

3) Visa Application fee

4) Medical Exam Fee (in China)

5) Removal of Conditional Status/Biometric fee

In a couple years we will be paying the Naturalization fee, but each and every one while high was not onerous, but worth every penny to me.

If you want to go I-129F/K3, you MUST first file and pay for the I-130/CR1 (after you marry of course).. thus, you would of paid for all three petitions by the time you get to the K3 !

I'd investigate the K1 before making a decision; I think after a certain time, USCIS will research a delayed case to see what's going on.

And if you make the jump, I'd seriously consider just doing the CR1 path; Realize that the K3 path is optional filing afterwards... and costs...

You guys are sending me back to the FAQs again... <_<

There are FAQs and WHWs (what has worked). I'll take WHW over a FAQ any day. I started the visa process well before I ever heard of Candle and was happy to know I did the right things and in the end things did work out and she got here.

You guys are sending me back to the FAQs again... :roller:

There are FAQs and WHWs (what has worked). I'll take WHW over a FAQ any day. I started the visa process well before I ever heard of Candle and was happy to know I did the right things and in the end things did work out and she got here.

I am glad it worked out Carl!! I am always cautious of reading anything from a former "rocket"!! <_<

Yes you will start over filing for another visa and perhaps be looking at another year or more apart.

We decided to get married before my K-1 petition could be processed. What should I do?

If you get married, your K-1 petition will no longer be valid. Your spouse will need to file a different petition, Form I-130, with the CIS

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/kvfaq.html

If you do decide to abandon the K-1, you may consider the CR-1 visa (I-130 without I-129F filing), this visa is a true immigrant visa without needing to file to adjust status, it can save a lot of extra pain. CR-1 takes a few months longer than K-3.

You've already got 180 days invested in waiting, getting married sets the clock to 0 and you begin again with the same people doing the same thing with the same sense of urgency.

You might consider a ceremonial wedding, not a legal wedding, to demonstrate your commitment.

Remember you filed during the time of the mass rush to file petitions before the price increase, and you have received NOA 1. I'd bet NOA-2 is not far off.

Getting married at this time may demonstrate commitment, but it also

guarantees that you will remain separated for considerably longer.

Griz just checked VJ and the average is now at 144 days! You are not too far off of that, give it until mid January or so. My check did not get cashed until May even though they got it in April?? So I still feel your pain, but no RFE so not that bad yet! :drunk:

You guys are sending me back to the FAQs again... :redblob:

I am glad it worked out Carl!! I am always cautious of reading anything from a former "rocket"!! :greenblob:

But I did live in Oregon for many years, so I guess that makes me an honarary "DEEEEE-UCK." But then I went to college at Portland State so I will always be a Viking.

One thing that was different in my case is that there was some circumstances in China that caused me some concern for my Ying's mental well being (Look up some of my old posts from about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago) which caused me to contact Maura Harty, then Dept Secretary for Consular Affairs. Her personal assistiant got Ying's info from me, then contacted the Chief of Counsel in GUZ who assured her that Ying's case would be expidited to some extent. As is the wait was still about 15 months, but on the Dec 20th we celebrated Ying's second anniversery here in the states.

If I decide to marry during Spring Festival, that resets the Visa clock, correct? :)

- family integrity/face

Griz..... After reading this over again you can still do what you want without getting in "visa" trouble. We were going to get married my second trip to show the family that is was for the long haul, after meeting they could see that I was and are now waiting to have a big party when I go to get her. Get married and have a gathering, just do not get the license??

If I could marry her without resetting the clock, I would do it in a heartbeat at the Spring Festival. ...but with the time invested, I think we must wait. 揠苗助长 now is a bad thing.

After Yu got her K-1 visa last year we had a "wedding" in Guilin for her family and friends, nothing legally binding, just a engagement party. We then married in the states at the court house, and later had a nice reception in the USA for friends and family.

One note: If you do an engagement party, be extra careful not to refer to each other as "Husband/Wife" around consulate officer, visa interview, POE. Until after you are in the USA.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)