My wife received a mailing from BCIS today welcoming her to the US and congratulating her on her permanent resident status. It indicated that the green card should arrive in the mail within three weeks. So far the process has gone very smoothly for her her state-side. Getting here was the hard part.

Glad to hear things are going smoothly for you guys Owen. After the ordeal you had to endure to get your visa, you deserve it. In fact, after all they put you through, they should deliver the green card in person with a letter of apology.

BTW: What the wife recieved was technically a "Notice of Action - Notice Type: Welcome Notice"

Mick, I understand that you are still having troubles with you-r wife not being in the computer files yet. The letter my wife received has a National Customer Service Center number: 1-800-375-5283. You might try calling that number to ask some embaressing questions.

Some excerpts from the letter:

"It is with pleasure that we welcome you to permanent resident status in the United States."

"As of March 1, 2003, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) is part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. -- While we have reorganized, you will continue to: ....Use all documents and forms issued by the INS"

"We will soon mail you a new Permanent Resident Card. You should receive it within the next 3 weeks. You can use it to show your new status. When you receive your card you must carry it with you at all timesif you are 18 or older. It is the law."

"Your new card will expire in ten years. While card expiration will not directly affect your status, you will need to apply to renuew your card several months before it expires."