Must Chinese Passport Renewal be in person?

If a Chinese Passport needs to be renewed here in the US. Is it accurate that you must appear in person at the State's respectively assigned Embassy? ......which appears to be Washington DC for my State of Idaho. It is difficult for me to imagine they make people travel such long distances to do this!

If a Chinese Passport needs to be renewed here in the US. Is it accurate that you must appear in person at the State's respectively assigned Embassy? ......which appears to be Washington DC for my State of Idaho. It is difficult for me to imagine they make people travel such long distances to do this!

In person, sorry..

You can go to San Francisco but you must go in person unless she is old or her health is so bad she is physically incapable of going. If your wife has taken your name it is a good idea to get an amemdment showing she uses that name in her passport while you are at it.

You can go to San Francisco but you must go in person unless she is old or her health is so bad she is physically incapable of going. If your wife has taken your name it is a good idea to get an amemdment showing she uses that name in her passport while you are at it.

This must be something fairly new my wife sent hers in some time in 2005 and they returned it extended. I believe this was changed I quess.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

It was changed last January. We had to go to SF last May to renew her's. They won't extend them anymore. Now you have to get a new one.

Here is the thread from when my wife renewed hers.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=307567

This is from the Chinese Consulate website.

B. Chinese nationals in foreign countries may go to Chinese diplomatic/consular missions and authorized institutions for passport-concerned applications, such as renewal, endorsement or page-adding, etc. The applicant is required to go to the embassy or consulate or other authorized institutions in person to submit the application, fill out application forms, interview with consular officers, and submit relevant supplementary documents. The following documents are required:

----Chinese passport or certificates of the applicant's Chinese nationality, in both original and photostat copy;

----Valid certificate of residence issued by the foreign government or other identity certificate of the applicant's lawful status;

----Completed application form;

----Other relevant supplementary documents required by the consular officers.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)