Two years of marriage abroad

As they say in Chinese "let's look at this from a different perspective"

While I have recently filed a 129F to bring my sweetheart over on a K1. It recently has occurred to me that I can just as easily live on either side of the pond. It would just take a few months to tie up my business affairs here, and back to Asia I would go. Other than China's nightmarish pollution I rather enjoy life there. I've lived there before and I'm mostly comfortable with my language skills. Why not do what I can to be with the woman I love?

Of course, there is a lot to consider before doing this.

First, I suspect I would have to cancel the K1 process.

Second, it is uncertain we would at some time return to the USA to live, but if we did, and if we had already been married in China and lived together as a married couple for two or more years, and could prove it. Would there be any kind of streamlined process to bring her to the States should we decide to return? Also, any idea of how easy it would be for her to get a tourist visa, should we just want to return to see family?

Deciding to spend our lives together was one step of commitment. I now realize that being willing to have my life in China again is yet another step that makes our relationship all the closer. Such is love's journey, huh?

thanks! Michael

I usually choose not to comment on these things, but being around for a while now, I have picked up on some generalities...

For persons living in China, there's a direct consulate filing that can help expedite your process vs. the normal US petitioner filing.

One thing that comes to mind is that many who live and work in China have some difficulty showing/proving having the financial means of support plus having an established residence here in the US.

I offer these few things to ponder until the rest of the US Candle members awaken to give you more precise advice. :headbang:

Good luck and best wishes, nonetheless.

You can only file DCF if you have a visa that allows you to live and work in China. A tourist visa won't cut it regardless of how long you live there.

Very true. After my husband and I were married for a few years, we moved to China and lived there for over six years. My husband had different types of visas during the years in China and when we were applying for my immigrant visa, he held a temporary business visa which still didn't qualify him for filing DCF.

This is absolutely true, of course. We are in the last stages of such a "direct" filing, and the US Embassy in Beijing wouldn't look at our I-130 until they saw my "Z" visa. However, it is possible to come to China on a tourist visa and find a good job here, and then get a "Z" visa while you're here. Then you can go to the nearest Consulate or Embassy and file. I have a friend here who is doing just that.

The process does seem somewhat quicker, but, as has been pointed out on this forum um-teen times, there is always the question of demonstrating both a US residence and adequate income in the US for the I-864 (Affidavit of Support). If these hurdles can be addressed the DCF is a good option. Quicker, they say, and you definitely get to be with the one you love during the long process.

You can only file DCF if you have a visa that allows you to live and work in China. A tourist visa won't cut it regardless of how long you live there.

Very true. After my husband and I were married for a few years, we moved to China and lived there for over six years. My husband had different types of visas during the years in China and when we were applying for my immigrant visa, he held a temporary business visa which still didn't qualify him for filing DCF.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Should I decide to move back to China, I will be sure to attend to making sure I have the right visa that will facilitate this process, should we decide to return to the US.

It is interesting to me that I would have to prove a place to live in the US if I had been living beyond its borders for a number of years. But, then, I suspect the INS is viewing things from INSIDE the boundaries of the country, while as any of you know who have lived abroad, one's vision changes when you are outside the country long enough.

Anyway, I really appreciate everyones comments, and will be sure to set things up in China with an eye to how to best acquire a visa for the delightful Miss Wang, should we decide to go to the States. Heck, at the very least I should take her there for a vacation. Right? ÖxÖx´ó¼ÒÀ²£¡

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Should I decide to move back to China, I will be sure to attend to making sure I have the right visa that will facilitate this process, should we decide to return to the US.

It is interesting to me that I would have to prove a place to live in the US if I had been living beyond its borders for a number of years. But, then, I suspect the INS is viewing things from INSIDE the boundaries of the country, while as any of you know who have lived abroad, one's vision changes when you are outside the country long enough.

Anyway, I really appreciate everyones comments, and will be sure to set things up in China with an eye to how to best acquire a visa for the delightful Miss Wang, should we decide to go to the States. Heck, at the very least I should take her there for a vacation. Right? ÖxÖx´ó¼ÒÀ²£¡

During the years in China, we didn't maintain any residence in US. Husband always used his parents' address as the domicile.