Married or not?

Has this question ever been discussed? What is ones status in our governments eyes if you have a marriage license from China and are waiting for the interview. Take this further. What if the process ends with a white slip that says "not a bonefide marriage."? Interesting question I thought.

To answer the first part presuming you applied for a K-1 visa: You can probably end up with your visa and GUZ won't know. But remember, that is not the end of the story, you still must do AOS. That is where you will provide proof of marriage, and then what do you do? Either marry again in the USA or show that your K-1 visa was provided to you based on fraudulent information.

As for the second part of your question, there have been several people who are K-3 or CR-1 who have been given a white slip for this reason.

Has this question ever been discussed? What is ones status in our governments eyes if you have a marriage license from China and are waiting for the interview. Take this further. What if the process ends with a white slip that says "not a bonefide marriage."? Interesting question I thought.

To answer the first part presuming you applied for a K-1 visa: You can probably end up with your visa and GUZ won't know. But remember, that is not the end of the story, you still must do AOS. That is where you will provide proof of marriage, and then what do you do? Either marry again in the USA or show that your K-1 visa was provided to you based on fraudulent information.

As for the second part of your question, there have been several people who are K-3 or CR-1 who have been given a white slip for this reason.

The OP is K-3 if you check out their signature (I-130 + I-129F)

In the government's eyes a marriage is a marriage no matter where it takes place.

You just need to provide evidence of relationship to show bona fide relationship.

In the government's eyes a marriage is a marriage no matter where it takes place.

You just need to provide evidence of relationship to show bona fide relationship.

Ah, I missed that, Don. I assumed that pb115's question was hypothetical. Thanks for bringing me back in line.

I am in a similar position as you. I have seen in one case where the VO looks at the marriage certificate from China and said that she did not believe it was real and they were denied. I also know of one other CFL member in your shoes exactly and they got the visa on the I-130 after being denied on the K3. The evidence of the bonafides of the relationship is paramount but it is not a guarantee. Myself I have enlisted the services of a very qualified attorney, questioned and followed his advice, and submitted the I-130. My back up plan is to move to China. To be totally honest, I have absolutely no trust in the Consulate in GZ and their system. It has many flaws. Their system of profiling is broken and in bad need of repair. All one can do in our cases is do our best to play their game, hope for a lot of luck, pray, and have a back up plan.

Ah, I missed that, Don. I assumed that pb115's question was hypothetical. Thanks for bringing me back in line.

His name is Dan. :cheering: We're on a roll.

Oh, my. What's in that cup of coffee I had this morning? :cheering:

ILS I have had many of those cups of coffee. That's why I switched to green tea but it still did not help me. I am glad to see others make mistakes so I feel I am not the only one. :cheering:

As long as the laws of the country where the marriage took place are followed, the US Gov recognizes the marriage. As far as the white slip goes, I would think that it is just the opinion of the VO based on the evidence presented, but I wouldn't think it totally negates the marriage certificate.

I doubt seriously it's the coffee that affecting you................... :cheering:

I think maybe it's a little too much 'Sunshine' !!!!! :cheering:

His name is Dan. :lol: We're on a roll.

Oh, my. What's in that cup of coffee I had this morning? :)

I doubt seriously it's the coffee that affecting you................... :ph34r:

I think maybe it's a little too much 'Sunshine' !!!!! :lol:

Yes, I am finishing up final exams today, and tomorrow I begin my journey to bring her home with me! I am excited!

The US Government recognizes and honors marriage no matter what country the marriage takes place.

Webster's Definition of Bona fide

1. made in good faith without fraud or deceit <a bona fide offer to buy a farm>
  2. made with earnest intent : sincere
  3. neither specious nor counterfeit

GZ often questions the integrity of marriages based on an extremely subjective view instead of an objective view. It seems to vary from VO to VO what constitutes the bona fides of a marriage and their determinations at times seem random. :mbounce:

The most difficult part of a K-3 being issued a white slip or NOID is that when the CR-1 arrives in GZ they could automatically flag it for denial it as they have already recommended a denial be issued by the USCIS. But that is not always the case.

Remember the DS-156 for the CR-1 interview has question 31 where they ask Have You Ever Been Refused a U.S. Visa?, it must be answered honestly for no other reason than you have the same A# as the K-3 case and not disclosing the correct answer is could be considered an attempt to commit visa fraud at the interview and an automatic denial and visa ban, or if you get the visa and someone ever notices it in the future is reason for deportation even after becoming a US Citizen. :shutup2:

Unfortunately, GZ is so far behind in returning these cases to the US for review and it seems there is little to be done to get them to follow the directives of the DOS, who states these should be returned to the US within 30 days. So contesting their decision is pretty much out of your hands unless you are extremely lucky. If for some reason you get a notice of intent to deny from the USCIS you need to aggressively address this and get their decision overturned and returned to the consulate with an order for a new interview.

So the best thing to do now is work on your evidence for the CR-1 interview, don't wait as this takes time to create and organize.

1. Pictures of the two of you with family, friends and places of interest in China.
  2. Boarding passes, one trip to China for the purpose of marriage isn't enough and having one trip after the white slip is good evidence.
  3. Phone records, all of them from the beginning.
  4. Letters, postcards or packages (real letters sent using the postal service by both of you)
  5. Emails

She needs to be intimately familiar with all the evidence. The more English she speaks the better.

The final thing is for you to be in GZ for the interview and IF she is presented with a White slip you want to be prepared to hire a local attorney to go fight for you to allow you to file overcome evidence. It would be expensive, but your fighting for your family and any delay at that point could add years to your journey.

Don't confuse a legal marriage with what GUZ considers a bona fide marriage. A marriage can be completely legal and legitimate, but if the VO feels that it was entered into for fraudulent purposes (e.g., to secure a visa to the US for the beneficiary and/or for monetary gain for the petitioner), the visa will be denied.

That is where the "relationship evidence" is necessary, to prove that it's not simply a business proposition.

Pretty simple, get caught married in China on a K-1 and you sent back to the start, do not collect $200.00, start over!! :blink: