At what point do I need a co-sponsor

Hi everyone. my second question on the site. I'm American and work and live in China. I married a Chinese woman one year ago, here in China. I want to start the visa process to bring her to the USA, but do not have a co-sponsor yet so..... Can/ or should I start the paper work now. Some people I meet here say yes start the process now, then find a co-sponsor, others say, you can't start the paper work without the co-sponsor. So... which is it ?????? I must have a co-sponsor, but can I start the process now ? For people who already went through this, any facts would be of great help thanks.

Hi everyone. my second question on the site. I'm American and work and live in China. I married a Chinese woman one year ago, here in China. I want to start the visa process to bring her to the USA, but do not have a co-sponsor yet so..... Can/ or should I start the paper work now. Some people I meet here say yes start the process now, then find a co-sponsor, others say, you can't start the paper work without the co-sponsor. So... which is it ?????? I must have a co-sponsor, but can I start the process now ? For people who already went through this, any facts would be of great help thanks.

IMHO, and this has been awhile I suggest that you begin to get the co-sponsor arranged right now.

When I processed Yin's (wife) my K-3 Visa (about 1.5 years ago), there was paperwork involved, Income tax statements. We only had to present one year's worth. What would happen is USCIS asks for 3 years worth from you? The same rules apply for both the applicant and the co-sponsor. Hopefully, you will only have to give one year's worth. But these circumstances can change quickly!

1) First I had to arrange someone to be a co-sponsor. Many in my own family balked at the thought of such a commitment. This issue will double their concern when some is asked for a 10-year commitment for the 864

2) Then Yin needed both 134s and the prior year's Tax paperwork for both myself and the co-sponsor, prior to the interview.

3) I eventually found a career, so that I didn't need a co-sponsor. You're circumstances may be different. It has been awhile and the rules at GUZ may have changed slightly. However, the 864 issue will definitely up later at AOS.

You probably have enough headaches processing paperwork, tickets, worrying about the interview, pink and/or blue skips, overcome paperwork (God forbid). Why wait until the last minute?

Summary: Get the co-sponsor arranged right now. You don't need the aggravation of running around making last minute arrangements. The rules are clear, 125% above poverty line or get a co-sponsor. If you haven't got this total, you don't have this total.

Make the arrangements for the cosponsor, now.

if you have a work visa, then you should really look into filing the I-130 directly to the consulate, usually called DCF (Direct Consular Filing) as an unofficial term.

While you can begin to make arrangements as Dave mentions above, it's not a prerequisite for filing; you won't provide any sponsorship materials till the interview (if you go DCF).

Look at this thread about some DCF comments and there's a DCF FAQ you can look at as well:

Recent DCF Thread:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26043

DCF FAQ:

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_DCF_Final1.htm

Yes, I second everyone's comments. It's not that difficult to start the process now. Figure out who your co-sponsor is going to be and ask them to get their tax transcripts for the last 3 years. You also need letters from your employers and start collecting recent pay stubs. Download the I-134 and take a look at it. You can get this stuff done early because the interview comes up quickly once you get near.

In my case,I did not submit any proof.

My parent submitted an I-134 and employment/tax documents.

My parent sponsored my fiance,and my parent's name is printed on my fiance's visa.

In my case,I did not submit any proof.

My parent submitted an I-134 and employment/tax documents.

My parent sponsored my fiance,and my parent's name is printed on my fiance's visa.

FYI: This is a K1 experience and does not compare to the needs of a DCF.

Hi so I was reading the DCF FAQ, and saw that I need a residence book ??? Is that for me, or my Chinese wife ? I've been in China for almost two years and have never heard of a residence book, that I may need ? So..... is it for me or my wife ?

This would be a residency book for you, as the USC in China... but I think there are other examples mentioning just having to show the work visa; go prepared with both but they might just take the work visa as good enough.

You do not need to have I-864 (Affidavit of suppoet) prepared until the visa interview, and don't need co-sponsor to file the paperwork.

Since you live in China you should consider DCF (Direct Consulate Filing), you file the paperwork (I-130) at the consulate or Embassy in China.

DCF results in an IMMIGRANT visa, the results in a green-card issued upon entry to the USA, DCF.

DCF interview requires you to provide I-864 for the interview, I-864 has 2 major requirements, First that you maintained US Domicile while abroad, and second you need to provide a copy of past year's IRS return. US citizens may be exempt from paying tax on foreign income, but are not exempt from filing a return to the IRS.

You can show domicile, if you kept a mailing address in the USA, and show the mail, and if you still have a valid US driver's license, and current bank accounts in the USA.

You can use a joint sponsor in the USA, but you are still the primary sponsor.