A long stay in China over the winter

I'll in China in 10 days (12/11) for a 47 day stay (until 1/27/08). I'm still waiting for my NOA2. I plan to bring a copy of I-129F, our up-to-date email, msn, snail mail and phone correspondences along with my tax transcripts for the last 3 years with me so that we can start to assemble the kitchen sink while I'm there. Is there anything else I should bring? Anything I should do and collect in China?

Various scenarios may play out while I'm gone. There is still a slim chance that my NOA2 may be approved before I go. This would be the best scenario. But if not, it would be mostly likely during my stay in China. I don't think my extended stay will hurt in this case because it takes time to move my petition from VSC to NVC to GUZ. Is my assumption on this reasonable? This is the second best scenario. The worse possible scenario is, God forbidden, that I would get an REF while in China. In that case, I would be able to submit the evidence until my return. What should I do?

Your advices would be much appreciated.

I'm in exactly the same boat you are with an identical receipt date. Toplaw from CFL estimates that my P2 should arrive by 12/21 based on his research. The P3 is now taking some time to go from the NVC to GZH. So, my best advice to you is get your stuff ready for P3...and wait until it comes. New estimates are now at 3 months from P2 to P3 although every persons experience is different ( some are longer and some shorter). The info for P3 is good for one year, so there isn't much harm getting it ready now. Good luck.

Marc

quote name='Jing Quan' date='Dec 2 2007, 12:34 PM' post='358422']

I'll in China in 10 days (12/11) for a 47 day stay (until 1/27/08). I'm still waiting for my NOA2. I plan to bring a copy of I-129F, our up-to-date email, msn, snail mail and phone correspondences along with my tax transcripts for the last 3 years with me so that we can start to assemble the kitchen sink while I'm there. Is there anything else I should bring? Anything I should do and collect in China?

Various scenarios may play out while I'm gone. There is still a slim chance that my NOA2 may be approved before I go. This would be the best scenario. But if not, it would be mostly likely during my stay in China. I don't think my extended stay will hurt in this case because it takes time to move my petition from VSC to NVC to GUZ. Is my assumption on this reasonable? This is the second best scenario. The worse possible scenario is, God forbidden, that I would get an REF while in China. In that case, I would be able to submit the evidence until my return. What should I do?

Your advices would be much appreciated.

Guest Mike and Lily

Getting your SO's birth, single and police certificates is probably a good idea. If you are around GUZ, going to ACH is also a good idea. Keep records on vacations and trips you take together as you will likely want to submit them as evidence for the interview. I was also in China when my NOA2 arrived. Remember that the USPS will not forward that document! You will need that document for AOS later on. So your address needs to be updated to a location that it will not be returned. It cost me $200 and many headaches to get a replacement NOA2. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Guest Mike and Lily

Is there a time frame within which an RFE must be answered?

Just that much more delay in approving your application.

Not that I know of. I know that a few people have waited several months after the RFE was issued and submitted the required evidence and they got right back on track. I know of no written policies addressing the subject.

This is good to know. Thanks for the head up. I'll arrange for someone to forward RFE, if any, to me in China and I'll respond from there. Would that work?

The RFE will show a date it must be received by at the service center. If not received by on that date your application will be consideded denied and void (start again).

This is good to know. Thanks for the head up. I'll arrange for someone to forward RFE, if any, to me in China and I'll respond from there. Would that work?

The RFE will show a date it must be received by at the service center. If not received by on that date your application will be consideded denied and void (start again).

Of course it will be fine. Just make sure you know how to post it to them from China by airmail and you have any documents you may need with you for the RFE. Why not give someone power of attorny back home to do this for you. File a G-28 first, so they can sign for you. Just review the RFE and response before they post it back to the USCIS. Then again, what are the chances of you getting an RFE?

G-28 is another good idea. Thanks. Where can I download the form? The chance for an REF is slim but I'm just trying to prepare for all eventualities.

Of course it will be fine. Just make sure you know how to post it to them from China by airmail and you have any documents you may need with you for the RFE. Why not give someone power of attorny back home to do this for you. File a G-28 first, so they can sign for you. Just review the RFE and response before they post it back to the USCIS. Then again, what are the chances of you getting an RFE?

G-28 is another good idea. Thanks. Where can I download the form? The chance for an REF is slim but I'm just trying to prepare for all eventualities.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-28.pdf