Question about I-485

Is the deadline to mail the I-485 application before the 3-month fiancee visa period, or does BCIS have to process everything before the 3-month period? Or does that 3-month period only require marriage, which we've already done?

Anyone who has applied for the I-485, please advise. Thanks.

This is indeed a gray area Jatuke. I am not quite sure I understand the law completely. However, I can state from personal experience that BCIS will not have everything processed within three months. In our case, three months have passed and they haven't even begun. ;)

My limited understanding is that for sure you have to get married within three months. Further, I would expect that you need to file AOS within three months of the entry date into the country. I think most folks have followed this pattern and I know we did. According to the person I spoke with at BCIS Info Line last week, the I-94 actually expires on the day a person gets married. How long one acutally has to file AOS is not clear. I have heard that some couples have waited up to a year to file. However, I would advise against this. I would recommend that you play it safe and file prior to the end of 90 days. You raise a good question. Does anyone know the actual law about this? :lol: :D :D

I was told by a board certified immigration attorney that the only requirement is that you marry within 90 days of her entry, and that the I-485 does not have to be filed within 90 days. However, I would NEVER take a chance on that, and I would make absolutely sure that your I-485 is filed within 90 days of entry. Call me paranoid, but I could see some bureaucrat somewhere deciding that it was not timely filed if past 90 days. And Mick, as usual, is absolutely right - this is a very murky area of the law.

Since we filed within 90 days, I did not bother to find the answer concerning how long you can wait, but I will attempt to do so and post my immigration attorney's response.

According to the FAQ from the GuangZhou Consulate page it says that a K-1 Visa is good for a period of 6 months, but the marriage most be in 89 days of entry. But everyone is right about this being a gray area, because this is the same sheet they had before 9/11. :lol: <_<

Even many of the questions that they ask our Fiancee's to fill out on the DS-156 and DS-156K are very gray.