EAD and Your Drivers License

well we are finding out first hand that your EAD is not only your working permit but alot more.

its the only dated identification that matters before you have your GC.

i dont know about other states but as far as florida you can not get your DL without either your non expired original k1 visa, or your non expired EAD.

So now we wait till her EAD comes in order to renew her drivers license. what a freakin head ache.

we would have had her EAD already but they could not find her in the system and sent it all back saying you need to file AOS in order to file for EAD. we sent a copy of the AOS and recieved the NOA for the EAD.

im hoping she can get a 30 day permit to hang over the access time it takes for EAD to get here.

ive really become an expert waiter. :whistling:

If she came here on K-1, you should not file for EAD before AOS anyway.

K-1 EAD is a 90 day one that expires same time as I-94 card, and since EAD takes up to 90 days to get, you end up with a useless EAD card.

K-1 must file for EAD with or after filing AOS, based on bending I-485, this results in 1 year EAD card.

If she came here on K-1, you should not file for EAD before AOS anyway.

K-1 EAD is a 90 day one that expires same time as I-94 card, and since EAD takes up to 90 days to get, you end up with a useless EAD card.

K-1 must file for EAD with or after filing AOS, based on bending I-485, this results in 1 year EAD card.

This is their renewal after 1 year, and yes, the EAD is extremely important for anyone who does not get their green card within 3 or 4 months.

so basically EAD is a necessity, not only to work.

Yes it proves to many agencies that are here legally after the I-94 in passport expires, and before getting green-card.
Guest Mike and Lily

There are similar problems with the California DMV ... hang in their Bill!

The CA DMV won't let my Lao Po take the driving test at this point because of her status here. Her visa has technically expired. Does anyone know if the CA DMV will accept the EAD as proof of legal residence for the puprose of getting a driver's license?

The CA DMV won't let my Lao Po take the driving test at this point because of her status here. Her visa has technically expired. Does anyone know if the CA DMV will accept the EAD as proof of legal residence for the puprose of getting a driver's license?

I think they'll accept EAD + SSN ... there's a list on the DMV website. I believe the license/permit will expire when the EAD expires.

YES, they will accept EAD card, or even and Aproval letter for EAD or Green-card.

SEE: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

What bites my butt is that my wife, who came on a K1 visa, isn't even allowed to take the "permit" test for her Texas driver's permit until she receives her Resident Alien Card (I-551), Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688) or her EAD.

A K1 visa has a I-94 that always has a maximum expriration date of 90 days.

According to the lady at the DPS office we visited today and this TXDPS website her Form I-94 must have been issued for a period of at least one year and have at least six months validity remaining.

Cars are a necessary evil in today's society especially in Texas. Most of us live miles away from our jobs that require transportation to make the weekday commute.

Living in a Chinese city you either walked, took a bus or a cab if 3 of you were going together.

How would you feel if you were unable to travel to anywhere because you aren't allowed to drive? Yes, other people can drive you places but only when they themselves have the time to drive you.

Would you feel trapped if could only "get away" from your house as a passenger in your own car?

What bites my butt is that my wife, who came on a K1 visa, isn't even allowed to take the "permit" test for her Texas driver's permit until she receives her Resident Alien Card (I-551), Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688) or her EAD.

A K1 visa has a I-94 that always has a maximum expriration date of 90 days.

According to the lady at the DPS office we visited today and this TXDPS website her Form I-94 must have been issued for a period of at least one year and have at least six months validity remaining.

Cars are a necessary evil in today's society especially in Texas. Most of us live miles away from our jobs that require transportation to make the weekday commute.

Living in a Chinese city you either walked, took a bus or a cab if 3 of you were going together.

How would you feel if you were unable to travel to anywhere because you aren't allowed to drive? Yes, other people can drive you places but only when they themselves have the time to drive you.

Would you feel trapped if could only "get away" from your house as a passenger in your own car?

Try her Social Security card and her foreign passport (two forms of supporting documentation). We got her TDL on the same day we got the EAD.

edit: OK I'm confused, but we had gotten her a State of Texas ID card first. Maybe that was the secondary documentation.

Go to the DPS office south of Chinatown (I think it's on south Gessner)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Try her Social Security card and her foreign passport (two forms of supporting documentation). We got her TDL on the same day we got the EAD.

edit: OK I'm confused, but we had gotten her a State of Texas ID card first. Maybe that was the secondary documentation.

Did your wife have a Texas learner's permit during the period between the time she arrived in America and when her EAD arrived?