Illinois Driver's License

Congratulations!

Christine has had her Rules of the Road since she got here as well. Did you get Lixin professional driving instructions or did you do it yourself?

I'd be very interested to hear how she progressed through the process as Christine will be doing the same.

Dave, she had a Chinese license, and knew how to drive. SOS didn't mention anything about a translator. Having one this far south of I-80 is merely a pipe dream. Now, had she been a Mexican, EVERYTHING would have been available in Spanish. I recommend a driving school, and you are closer to Chicago than we are, by a bunch, so maybe you can find one in Chinatown. George

Thanks George.

Christine has a Chinese license as well, but hasn't driven in at least 15 years. <_<

So I'm gonna give it the old college try and see if I can teach her. If not we'll be looking for a driving school nearby. Chinatown is a good suggestion. It's not real close but she may be more comfortable with someone from there.

Thanks again.

Dave

Ying had never driven a car. She started reviewing the " Rules of Road" in Beijing. Once here, when I was driving I would relate the rules to the real world. Ying passed the written test on first try. I got her used to starting, stopping, turning - get the feel of the car in a parking lot. We progressed to local roads, but she was timid to do what I said - go faster, etc. We hired a pro for 3 lessons. The instructor forced her to do what she did not want to do ( pushing her leg on the gas pedal) Something I could not do. The instructor also familarized her with what would be required on the test. The pro pushed her over the edge, so practicing with me would be effective. Ying passed the drivers test on first try back in April. She is doing well, the learning process is not over - snow season is approching

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)

Ying had never driven a car. She started reviewing the " Rules of Road" in Beijing. Once here, when I was driving I would relate the rules to the real world. Ying passed the written test on first try. I got her used to starting, stopping, turning - get the feel of the car in a parking lot. We progressed to local roads, but she was timid to do what I said - go faster, etc. We hired a pro for 3 lessons. The instructor forced her to do what she did not want to do ( pushing her leg on the gas pedal) Something I could not do. The instructor also familarized her with what would be required on the test. The pro pushed her over the edge, so practicing with me would be effective. Ying passed the drivers test on first try back in April. She is doing well, the learning process is not over - snow season is approching

This sounds like the approach I'll end up taking. I'll get her started and familiar with the basics and then let a pro take over to finish things off.

Snow season? Maybe I'll drag out the instruction process until about May. :lol:

This sounds like the approach I'll end up taking. I'll get her started and familiar with the basics and then let a pro take over to finish things off.

Snow season? Maybe I'll drag out the instruction process until about May. ;)

Sounds like a good choice as well! I will have her take the written test with a translator down town Chicago and the driving part out here. I can not wait to have her park in a spot while backing up!!!

:Dah: ;)

No back up beeper like a Chinese car!!! :blink: