Yet another Question about I-134

I may be getting ahead of myself here, as I just mailed my I129F yesterday, but I just want to get prepared for things to come. I've looked into the I-134 requirements and how I'll be judged by the requirements for the I-864P and I-864 and I think I know what I need to do, but I still have some questions based on the specifics of my situation.

Ok here it is...obviously, I need a notarized I-134 (no problem). Also, I need a letter from my employer (fine). I want to throw in a few months worth of pay stubs too. But here is where I'm not exactly sure what I should do. It's my understanding that I DON'T need to provide the last 3 years of my tax returns; that this is competely voluntary, correct? I want to include only my most recent years tax return. Here's why:

The past 2 of the 3 years I was in grad school making $10,000 as a teaching assistant. Then for the rest of the time while I was looking for a career I was working in an Alaskan fish hatchery knee deep in salmon sperm (yes, it is as glamorous as it sounds) making less than $10,000. But now I have a really good career and I make more than enough for my SO and I to be above the 125% poverty level, which will be reflected on my taxes this year (see my line of reasoning?). But, be that as it may, should I still include information about my bank account, 457 ( b ), Roth IRA, and bonds info because of my past when I wasn't making enough? I had a good excuse, I was in college. But this is the US Govt, common sense doesn't apply. Should I think about getting a co-sponsor? I don't want to do this, but I will if I absolutely have to. Or, does it look like I'll be ok (this is what I'm hoping for)? Have I missed anything else important that I should include?

As always thanks for the encouragement and help!

Edited by ZackinIL (see edit history)

Your doing well to think ahead, but your overthinking it...

As K1, it's all completely voluntary to bring whatever you want... the consulate may or may not ask for any financial supporting materials.

it's more likely they will ask for something rather than not, but there's no way you will know what they will want until they ask for it !

So, usually we simply tell people to cover their bases with a few things.. I usually recommend at a minimum:

- I-134

- employer letter

- 1 year of taxes

There are cases where the VO asked for one of these and the SO didn't have it.. and offered another one.. and the VO took it. So its not like there is only ONE thing they will take (*sound of knocking on wood*); The VO just wants some basic proof of your income.

The I-134 is the most requested item, and only asks what annual income you make... so you put in your current income...

This is just our experience. Take from it what you will.

We had a pretty rock-solid, straightforward case. No complications like divorces etc. Her interview went quick. All he asked for was pictures and taxes. So asking for taxes in a seemingly simple case is not unheard of.

We had three years worth ready. The VO just said "Can I see the taxes?" and my SO handed him everything, tax forms,I-134 and employer letter. He quickly flipped through all of them and handed them back. So there's no way of knowing if he would have accepted just one year or not.

I agree with David. Just have the I-134,employer letter and 1 year of taxes ready to hand over. If they feel they need to see more or find a problem, most likely you're going to get a blue anyway. Then you can give them the more involved stuff.

Thanks guys!!!

The consulate website ask for at least one year of taxes. Some where else they said three years. They took my last year of taxes and my last three W-2s. Being in graduate school is not bad, just have an attachment explaining it. They want to see trends and long term potential not just a single snapshot. As David said this information is not 100 % required, but a VO can make it required if they want.

Thanks guys!!!

The consulate website ask for at least one year of taxes. Some where else they said three years. They took my last year of taxes and my last three W-2s. Being in graduate school is not bad, just have an attachment explaining it. They want to see trends and long term potential not just a single snapshot. As David said this information is not 100 % required, but a VO can make it required if they want.

Thanks. I think I like the idea of providing some sort of attachment explaining that I was in college. I think I'll throw in an official school transcript for good measure.

Zach,

I also had an "unusual income year" in 2006, and was a bit hesitant to show my 2006 taxes as well. I think a good approach (if you can do it) is before your SO's interview, go to ACH and explain your situation to the VO. It may be a bit complicated for your SO to fully explain your situation when she is under the bright spotlight and pressure of the interview, so going to ACH beforehand and getting them to document this about your case will help you.

The VO did ask for my I-134 and last year's taxes during my SO's interview last month. We had no problems. I did go to ACH to explain my case.

Since future income, not past income, is more important, I think your explanation won't be any problem. I think all the VOs are college grads, and have eaten their fair share of ramen noodles while hitting the books (but doubt they have been knee deep in salmon sperm) :)

ILS

Edited by I love Sunshine (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

I know I have to submit two original I-134s but does all the supporting evidence have to be in duplicate (Two employment letters, two 3 years of taxes, 2 of each W-2s, etc)?

I did Zack and on a color copier!! Easy to do these days!! :P

So once I get my tax trascripts from the IRS I can make a copy of those and use that as my duplicate copy and its cool?

I know I have to submit two original I-134s but does all the supporting evidence have to be in duplicate (Two employment letters, two 3 years of taxes, 2 of each W-2s, etc)?

I did Zack and on a color copier!! Easy to do these days!! :ph34r:

So once I get my tax trascripts from the IRS I can make a copy of those and use that as my duplicate copy and its cool?

I know you mentioned employee letter, do not forget a letter from your bank!!

Then again do you just put your cash under the bed!! :eatyum:

I did Zack and on a color copier!! Easy to do these days!! ;)

I know you mentioned employee letter, do not forget a letter from your bank!!

Then again do you just put your cash under the bed!! :huh:

Thats my secret hiding place that no one is suppose to know about :lol:

A letter from your bank is really not required.

II. Supporting Evidence.

A. Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions where you have deposits, identifying the following details regarding your account:

1. Date account opened;

2. Total amount deposited for the past year;

3. Present balance.

Guest Rob & Jin

A letter from your bank is really not required.

II. Supporting Evidence.

A. Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions where you have deposits, identifying the following details regarding your account:

1. Date account opened;

2. Total amount deposited for the past year;

3. Present balance.

I think thats only really required if your going to have difficulties establishing 125% with your tax docs.

Its all case dependant but I think its foolish to weight your fiancee/wife down with a mass of documents she is going to have a hard time finding unless it supports a weakness in your case. If you clearly exceed the 125% a bank letter is pointless. JMHO