Social stability in China...

The stability of China is where ultimately the rubber meets the road for those of us hoping to live there. We may go on and on about the damn dams, corrupt officials, the skyrocketing RMB and even sweatshops...but lets face it if China is unstable socially or politically then it will NOT be a place where any of us is going to want to live... :ph34r:

Something tells me that you don't have anything to worry about except worrying itself. I think China has far removed itself from any type of revolutionary uprising as it experienced in the past century. They are a strong economy now and the people there in large are more happy than they have ever been. Within the last year my wife did witness a group of old people blocking the streets and train tracks in her city to protest the lateness of their benefit checks but that is about as far as it will go.

Okay I just like to worry then...BUT...Suppose that the economy falters severely...The tacit approval of the Chinese populace to being run by the Communist Party is that the economy continues to be up, up and away...Does anyone here seriously believe that 10%+ growth is sustainable??? What happens to the "social/economic" contract between the government and the governed if there was something like our own 1930's Depression??? I know that China has experienced very bad times before but the political landscape today is totally different as are people's expectations... :unsure:

Any economy is subject to falter, even our own. Our income after we retire will be coming from the US so we will have money. China will always be producing food. I hear what you are saying about China's megagrowth at this time. Will it crash and burn or just level off? These are questions that we simply cannot answer at this time. Try and not worry too much. You can always change your mind later that is if you can do without those Hainan banana daquries. :lol:

Yeah I could survive without the daquiris... :cocktail: but what about all that incredibly good, live and cheap seafood??? :sosad:

You ARE planning on getting a boat and catching your own, right??

I've thought of the posssiblity...Is there a foreigner fishing license in China??? :blink:

I am certain that for the right amount of money anything can be obtained. But that is a good question. I think I will google it!

Looks like Griz beat us to that question in another forum: http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=33634

Well it doesn't sound like the most authoratative answer... ;) and what if I want to buy a shrimp boat or run a line of lobster traps??? I am thinking mostly about surf fishing from the beach at Bo'ao...but I'll have to get one of those portable shelters so wifey can stay out of the sun... :bangin:

I am thinking mostly about surf fishing from the beach at Bo'ao...but I'll have to get one of those portable shelters so wifey can stay out of the sun... :P

Roger, if you set up a crab or lobster shack in Bo'Ao, I'll definitely come for lunch sometimes. :blink:

Deal Lance...I can see it now...Laowei's Seafood Shack... :)

This is quite an assertion, Chilton:

>>>...the people there in large are more happy than they have ever been.

They may have more money than they have ever had, but your statement does not jive with my experience.

The Chinese I met in Shanghai in 1978 were as happy as the happy Chinese people I meet today. IMO China has the best citizen disposition of any country I have visited. Sadly, the richness of family experience is fading as young people abandon traditions, that does not bode well for happiness.

As for the stability of China, IMO China will do just fine if we get our nose out of China's business and allow her to move along its own road to improvement.

Sadly, the richness of family experience is fading as young people abandon traditions, that does not bode well for happiness.

In my wife's case, getting away from the traditions is the best thing that could have ever happened to her so some do bode well for happiness.

I agree with you in the fact that some "blanket" statements are incorrect at best.

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)