The practical eye over the stylist eye

Reading in another thread the OP asked what are you doing to prepare for your SO's arrival?

Got me to thinking...

I have learned the biggest cultural difference, IMHO, is how practical Chinese women are. And, this is something that bridges most economic levels too (maybe, it's just that the new rich still have their practical nature). You can almost throw 'style' out the window, for their eye will be on practical use of space over space to showcase art.

Just keep this in mind when you see them nest. It's unlike our western gals who'll spend hours decorating; whereas, the Chinese woman will be looking at how best to use the space for storage. Maybe, it has more do to with smaller living quarters in China.

How say you who have her/him here with you?

A big DITTO on the practical thing. The phrase I hear from Christine more often than any other is "Up to the situation." Whether it's about something we need to buy or do she always thinks about it in a practical sense. Very little sentimentality involved.

And that's the way I like it. ;)

OK here they are sized, so that we all can see them. :huh:

I don't know, Dennis and Dave. You guys have actual experience, so I must defer to your knowledge.

I will be surprised, however, if Ping nests in the manner you describe. Decorating is very high on her list of things to do when she gets here.

Because she has pictures of everything in our Houston home, she has been sending things here with instructions on where to hang them or place them. Some of these things are beautiful works of art. She has talked a lot about the importance of a woman's touch in decorating our home. Every room will be repainted to the colors that she wants, and I have taken down mirrors and artwork to accommodate what she wants in a particular location.

Storage? About a mile away I have a fully climate controlled storage facility that is accessible 24/7.

Here are some of the things Ping has had me working on. I needed two people to hang the tapestry, and some day when I have a second person, I will stretch it tighter, but at least I got it up on the living room wall where Ping wanted it.

http://i19.tinypic.com/4v506eh.jpg

You can see the holes in the wall where I took things down so I could hang wedding photos where Ping wants them to hang

http://i16.tinypic.com/53t2j4h.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/4qnt8wn.jpg

So far the exercise equipment has not been on the hit list. Ping also wants to use it. Use your tool bar at the bottom to see the whole set up. All I had to do so far to accommodate Ping's wishes was to move the framed poster that shows how to do the various exercises properly.

http://i10.tinypic.com/6cyvz3c.jpg

Beautiful home!

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Interesting thread, and I wonder how most of us see our SO in that light?? <_<

My Dear SO will fix herself up before we go out, but nothing compared to a western women. She does a little to her face, has clean but new clothes, and not a lot of jewelry.

A couple of threads asked about your first visit and what surprises you noticed? My first vist she dressed up every day and I waited a little longer for her to go somewhere. The next trips, jeans and a Calvin Klein shirt. The funny part was that I asked her if she knew what was on the shirt? She said no, just know it is American!! :D :P ;)

• 1 month later...

http://i10.tinypic.com/6cyvz3c.jpg

When will she send you pictures of her using the exercise machine that you can paste over those generic photo examples on the wall of your gym? :)

That will get your juices flowing to start that workout routine you have always been thinking about!

Edited by I love Sunshine (see edit history)

ILS, I read your post and I can't help feeling that you are 'talking' to the wind...

For some strange reason, Toplaw bailed.

I read this thread with nostalgia. I see how Lee posted those pictures of his preparation...sigh...

I guess all that I can say is that it's too bad the man could not hang here and continue to share. He was a rare one...

I for one will say that I miss his truer than life posts. The man was real. He didn't hide behind some thing that he wanted all to believe was him. He hung it all out like raw meat...yet, for some reason he could not or chose not to hang...don't know why, probably never will.

I give you my salute Mr. Toplaw Lee. It was an interesting and fun ride while you chose...I hope all the best for you and yours nontheless.

This is a good post Dennis¡­too bad Mr. T is gone but I will add my two cents here.

My 1st wife was a typical Italian/American who bought and bought and bought ¨C knickknacks. Hundreds of them.

Knickknack here a knickknack there, here a knickknack, there a knickknack, everywhere a knickknack¡­

Unfortunately¡­now¡­

I HATE KINCKKNACKS

I can remember asking her if she was opening up a curio shop or another Wally store.

Forget dust bunnies, they ran rampant among the knickknacks. Having to dust the shelves with knickknacks on them was liking asking the dentist for morphine.

Thank God for my current wife who never thinks of knickknacks unless I tell her that it looks good. She is into a very clean and dust free environment. To her, knickknacks get in the way.

I love my wife! :roller:

ILS, I read your post and I can't help feeling that you are 'talking' to the wind...

I read this thread with nostalgia. I see how Lee posted those pictures of his preparation...sigh...

I guess all that I can say is that it's too bad the man could not hang here and continue to share. He was a rare one...

I for one will say that I miss his truer than life posts. The man was real. He didn't hide behind some thing that he wanted all to believe was him. He hung it all out like raw meat...yet, for some reason he could not or chose not to hang...don't know why, probably never will.

I give you my salute Mr. Toplaw Lee. It was an interesting and fun ride while you chose...I hope all the best for you and yours nontheless.

Yes I noticed he has been absent lately, that last thread about asking Ping questions was brutal at times on him!! :roller:

Oh, sorry that I missed the fact that he bailed. I feel bad about putting humor at his sake if he and Ping had some issues. Bad timing on my part.

Yes, he was rather thought-provoking and reminded me of Dr Phil. He seemed so proud of Ping. Let's hope his absence is only temporary.

Oh, sorry that I missed the fact that he bailed. I feel bad about putting humor at his sake if he and Ping had some issues. Bad timing on my part.

Yes, he was rather thought-provoking and reminded me of Dr Phil. He seemed so proud of Ping. Let's hope his absence is only temporary.

Mr. Lee (Toplaw) is doing well and still loving his Ping more than ever. Never was any real issues between themselves. It seems that when he put his heart and soul out on the line, people here at CFL jumped on him and made him feel bad.

He was at our last Texas Round-up and he is anticipating the day when Ping and Cici will get here. Somewhere around March time frame.

He may come back. I am hoping he will because like you said, ¡°he was rather thought-provoking and reminded me of Dr Phil¡± too!

Mr. Lee (Toplaw) is doing well and still loving his Ping more than ever. Never was any real issues between themselves. It seems that when he put his heart and soul out on the line, people here at CFL jumped on him and made him feel bad.

He was at our last Texas Round-up and he is anticipating the day when Ping and Cici will get here. Somewhere around March time frame.

He may come back. I am hoping he will because like you said, ¡°he was rather thought-provoking and reminded me of Dr Phil¡± too!

Wait a minute. Are you saying there is life outside of the Candle and that it's safe for us to leave? :lol:

Wait a minute. Are you saying there is life outside of the Candle and that it's safe for us to leave? :cheering:

No! :cheering: not on my watch!