security clearance

Hi.

I'm not sure if this is a little too off topic, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar type situation.

My fiance and I are going through the K-1, in fact she just recently arrived in the US(not married yet).

At the same time I just suddenly was offered a conditional employment offer with the FBI, dependant on background check etc.

My question is, my background is clean but I'm assuming this k-1 will come up, how much of a problem is it? It doesn't say anywhere that it's an auto-disqualify type situation, but I can't help but worry it could be.

We didn't have any problems with the k-1 process, and we're both recently out of college, if it matters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I have never gone from so excited to worried so quickly.

Depending on level of clearance it may cause an issue, having a wife from a "communist" country.

I have a friend who works in a "top-secret" level job, and I have never seen someone so paranoid about even knowingly coming in to contact with a person from a communist country, so something about the clearance level makes him that way.

I would expect it to cut both ways....

Jeopardize your chance of getting the FBI job....

And jeopardize your chance of getting a visa if you do get the job.

A Chinese woman represents a major risk when her husband has the sort of access you will acquire.

I could write a spy novel based on your vulnerability.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Not to worry. I continue to maintain the highest level security clearance despite being married to an evil communist woman from China. :lol:

Thankfully, in America, we can marry whoever we want. If your wife to be was a security risk, they wouldn't let her in the country. She's already been checked out.

Good luck....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Remember Wen Ho Lee?

If you want your wife to have a happy life here, find another job.

many chinese still work at government labs, since most americans do not want to take time and work to get Ph.D. Plus, many americans have sold information to others for money. They do not need to get nationals into those positions.

My brother-inlaw in the past worked on some sensitive projects and he said that my girlfriend from china was not allowed to come to his home. We could eat out ect. that was fine. If they pushed it they would require a FBI check for her to go to his home if she passed check she could. One thing that was a concern was she has an engineering degree. Every situation would be different. As FBI is domestic and CIA is international I wonder if it would matter so much. Maybe how much clearance you would be get in the future.The inner workings of the FBI is so far beyond the scope of what us layman know it really is hard to give a reasonable answer. Good luck.

I currently hold the highest clearance level for DOE, and have continuously since 1970.

Disclosure is the key here. I reported all my trips to china and my personal association with a chinese woman to the office of counter-intelligence. I was briefed and de-briefed before and after each trip. I was called in to be interviewed after I reported my marriage and during my 5 year re-investigation. I've had no problem keeping the clearance because I played it by the book. I've known people who have lost their clearances, because they failed to report things like DUI, bankruptcy etc.

I think you'll be fine, if you report your situation.

I am really surprised jim_julian and hankster.

I've been doing network security for almost 15 years and would immediately flag such a connection as a vulnerability. But then the security implemented since 9/11 doesn't follow the best practices I was taught...so I guess I should not be surprised. :blink:

Guest Rob & Jin

I am really surprised jim_julian and hankster.

I've been doing network security for almost 15 years and would immediately flag such a connection as a vulnerability. But then the security implemented since 9/11 doesn't follow the best practices I was taught...so I guess I should not be surprised. :P

Is this thread a episode from the " X-files" :blink: :rolleyes: :ph34r:

I think most FBI clearances are confidential or secret level clearances, not top secret.

Getting a secret level clearance usually involves a criminal background check and disclosure of any financial or other complications. There is a lot of information about this available on the internet.

It shouldn't be a hindrance to you getting married to a non-US citizen, as long as she doesn't have some sort of special background (such as a CCP member or a dad that is some big-wig official in the Chinese government). However, asking this question up front is probably a good idea.