Does bank check expires?

My wife mailed her N-400 in early August but still haven't receive any receipt. It probably due to large volume prior to increased fees. She used a bank check. Below the USCIS mentioned that it is in the mailroom and not processed. Furthermore the fee has not been deposited. Doesn't the check expire after 3 months?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Q : How does a receipt delay affect my case?

If your case is subject to a receipt delay, this means that USCIS has received your case in its mailroom, but has not yet processed your case. This means that your case information has not been entered into the USCIS case management system and the fee you sent with your application has not yet been deposited. These delays affect USCIS¡¯ ability to issue a receipt notice to you. It may also affect the overall time it will take us to make a decision on your application.

Yes, technically the check expires after 90 days, but, the USCIS doesn't necessarily understand that.

Don't do anything toward the check because once they get around to cashing it you want the application to not get bounced because of a "Bad Check", even though their delay caused it to be considered bad.

Guest ShaQuaNew

The expiration date on checks is rarely used, and in nearly every case it's simply ignored. It's only added to checks in the event that the person who wrote it dies, or in some rare case is no longer able to handle their own funds. No worries.

The expiration date on checks is rarely used, and in nearly every case it's simply ignored. It's only added to checks in the event that the person who wrote it dies, or in some rare case is no longer able to handle their own funds. No worries.

I hope so. I don't want to dish another $675 if the bank check bounces.

I don't even use checks anymore. Using my checkcard is so much better than writing a check. Just like those commercials on TV where everything is going smoothly until someone stops to write a check and hold everything up. I can understand that thoroughly!

Checks are so 20th century!!!......... :threeques:

we mailed off forms for lings AOS in early August and have not received

anything back yet this morning I called USCIS they told me I should not call until 90 have passed even though their recording says 4 weeks

I'll call again next week

Why wait a week? Call again tomorrow. Maybe you'll get a different answer from them. 90 days doesn't sound right anyways. That's too long. It's always been 30 days to me.

Yep, give'm a buzz tomorrow. You might be surprised. :rolleyes:

-good luck

Tony, call your bank and ask. Most checks are valid for 6 months, but it's all explicitly spelled out in your terms of agreement. After six months, a bank has the right to not honor a check, but if it's made out to a US government agency, I think the bank will probably honor the check.

But again, best advice is to call your bank and ask specifically.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Tony, call your bank and ask. Most checks are valid for 6 months, but it's all explicitly spelled out in your terms of agreement. After six months, a bank has the right to not honor a check, but if it's made out to a US government agency, I think the bank will probably honor the check.

But again, best advice is to call your bank and ask specifically.

Banks routinely recieve checks not months, but years old. The banks simply pass them through the system and if the funds clear, it's done. There is no-one reading the front of the check stating that it's good for only so long. However, the person writing the check has the right to argue the cashing of an expired check. That's not the case here. Again, no worries.

we mailed off forms for lings AOS in early August and have not received

anything back yet this morning I called USCIS they told me I should not call until 90 have passed even though their recording says 4 weeks

I'll call again next week

Why wait a week? Call again tomorrow. Maybe you'll get a different answer from them. 90 days doesn't sound right anyways. That's too long. It's always been 30 days to me.

Yep, give'm a buzz tomorrow. You might be surprised. :whistling:

-good luck

tried again different person same answer will try again Tuesday @90 days

For those who are curious about expired checks, USCIS understands this might happen. Here is how they are addressing the issue.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Good info. Thanks.

All the more reason to send a USPS money order. They never expire. And I don't want my case "suspended" and no telling how long it will take for the CIS to contact you to let you know not only that your check expired but your case has been suspended until payment is received and/or further notice

No thank you. I much rather play it safe. use USPS money orders :ph34r:

All the more reason to send a USPS money order. They never expire. And I don't want my case "suspended" and no telling how long it will take for the CIS to contact you to let you know not only that your check expired but your case has been suspended until payment is received and/or further notice

They only do this if the bank bounces the check - in other words, this is VERY unlikely to happen.

They only do this if the bank bounces the check - in other words, this is VERY unlikely to happen.

There's a BIG difference between an expired check and a check that bounced!

If it bounces, then they should file your case; in the circular file cabinet! :angry: