Sharing my friend's talent

This is my very good friend Qi Chengxiang 'Raymond' 's artwork:

http://www.contemporarychinesefineart.com/QI-SHOW/Qi.htm

Raymond works from his studio in his home in Monrovia, CA. His portraits are usually large, wall-size oils that can take up to a couple of months to complete. Many of his clients are wealthy Chinese who commission Raymond to paint their wives, but most often their daughters.

This is my new friend Chen Pei Zhon 'PJ' 's artwork:

http://www.rizvanart.com/finearts/zhong/index.shtml

PJ recently arrived via Alberta, Canada. He states that his color pallet has dramatically changed from drab muted colors in China to colors that pop, after living in Alberta.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

...He states that his color pallet has dramatically changed from drab muted colors in China to colors that pop, after living in Alberta.

I can certainly see that. I prefer the old drab muted colors.

I always enjoyed the ink painting of landscape, black and white with different shades of gray in between.

...He states that his color pallet has dramatically changed from drab muted colors in China to colors that pop, after living in Alberta.

I can certainly see that. I prefer the old drab muted colors.

I always enjoyed the ink painting of landscape, black and white with different shades of gray in between.

Interesting comment, Jo. As PJ states, that if he were to paint those Chinese 'scapes' again, he would paint them with lively colors today and that he'd never go back to that style again.

Yes, very interesting comment. In that that subdued coloring seems to be very traditional Chinese style and no doubt pleasing and comforting for native born Chinese.

I asked PJ if his change in attitude toward color was influenced by the colorful native Canadian dress (AKA Indians in the US). He said no. His change came about from the clean, fresh Canadian air that made all of the colors stand out vs. the dirty air of China.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Dennis,

I¡¯m really taken by the beauty of Mr. Qi¡¯s pictures. Very, Very surreal and heart spoken material.

I noticed that these artists graduated from school a little later in life than what we would have here in the states. I also remember reading that during Mao¡¯s time, the artists were suppressed and not allowed to paint just anything.

Ask you friend if that was the case or was he just a late bloomer.

Dennis,

I¡¯m really taken by the beauty of Mr. Qi¡¯s pictures. Very, Very surreal and heart spoken material.

I noticed that these artists graduated from school a little later in life than what we would have here in the states. I also remember reading that during Mao¡¯s time, the artists were suppressed and not allowed to paint just anything.

Both men are in the 50s. Actually, Mr. Qi, Raymond, painted propaganda posters during the CR, as I recall him saying. He is one of my ESL student regulars. Such a quiet, unassuming man. Typical of the people around me and I learn that they are a concert violinist, portrait painter, Wushu master...

http://www.contemporarychinesefineart.com/...iang/index.html

Dennis,

Both men are in the 50s. Actually, Mr. Qi, Raymond, painted propaganda posters during the CR, as I recall him saying. He is one of my ESL student regulars. Such a quiet, unassuming man. Typical of the people around me and I learn that they are a concert violinist, portrait painter, Wushu master...

http://www.contemporarychinesefineart.com/...iang/index.html

Any idea on where he gets his models?