Happy Mid Autumn Festival

Today is the Lunar Mid Autumn Festival.

Hubby decided that we should make some moon cakes. They turned out to be the best I ever tasted.

Here is a rough recipe:

Crust: use apply pie crust recipe. Make half an apply pie crust batch (1 and 1/2 cups of floor + 1/2 cups of 0 transfat shortings + 1/4 teaspoons salt + about 1/4 cups of water).

Fillings:

1 cup of steamed acorn squarsh

1/2 cups of finely chopped pitted dates

2 table spoons of soy flour

2 tea spoons of room temperature butter

some pine nuts

some finely chopped walnuts

some pumpkin seeds

a small handful of currants

1/2 teaspoon of salt

Mix the filling ingredients listed above together. (Hubby made the fillings, so it was his invention with my input :ph34r: )

Cut the crust dough to Ping Pang size balls and roll them out. Add slightly larger amount of fillings and wrap up. Then press the wrapped ball in a flat bowl with sesame seeds at the bottom, so to have the moon cake coated with sesame seeds.

Then lay them on a flat cookie sheet. Bake at around 375F (Just a guess because our oven temperature control does not work. Bake for about 20 minutes (also a guess because I didn't check the clock). Turn them around at about 2/3 of the way, till both sides turn to a light golden color.

We all like the result very much.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

And a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you Joanne. :ph34r:

You have a happy festival, too! Next year, make some moon cakes with your wife. They are easy and fun, and they taste good.

Since you have a young child, I am sure that you have heard of the cookie monster... well we have a moon cake monster at our house and he ate all of the moon cakes by himself... :hump:

:)

And a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you Joanne. :)

You have a happy festival, too! Next year, make some moon cakes with your wife. They are easy and fun, and they taste good.

Since you have a young child, I am sure that you have heard of the cookie monster... well we have a moon cake monster at our house and he ate all of the moon cakes by himself... :D

I very much look forward to doing that. :)

Can I make chocolate ones? :D

No harm in trying. :D

Ying and I had the most wonderful Moon Cake Day :angry:

First, we had lunch for and with our staff, over 30 people and everyone was very happy and it was One Big Family!

Next, I had to get my Z visa validated. There was a mistake on my resident card and the Chinese VO said doesn't matter, we can fix it. We are glad you are here! I will leave out the obvious cynicism here and just say :)

Lastly, that evening Ying and I stood under the full moon at our little country garden home and promised each other at least another 27 years together.

God bless China!

Did you know that the same moon that shines in China is also the one that shines in America? ;)

Ying and I had the most wonderful Moon Cake Day :angry:

First, we had lunch for and with our staff, over 30 people and everyone was very happy and it was One Big Family!

Next, I had to get my Z visa validated. There was a mistake on my resident card and the Chinese VO said doesn't matter, we can fix it. We are glad you are here! I will leave out the obvious cynicism here and just say :)

Lastly, that evening Ying and I stood under the full moon at our little country garden home and promised each other at least another 27 years together.

God bless China!

Did you know that the same moon that shines in China is also the one that shines in America? ;)

Really?! :cheering:

Ying and I had the most wonderful Moon Cake Day :)

Next, I had to get my Z visa validated. There was a mistake on my resident card and the Chinese VO said doesn't matter, we can fix it. We are glad you are here! I will leave out the obvious cynicism here and just say :huh:

God bless China!

Did you know that the same moon that shines in China is also the one that shines in America? :)

Really?! :P

Yes, but I don't think the moon that shines in China is the same as the Moonshine in America.

Happy Moon Day, Jo. We just returned from our festival. An evening of Chinese poems, folk songs, karioki...good friends, good food. I of course didn't know the songs, but clapped along with everyone else and pretended that I did. :P What fun!!

Oh, and everyone got a good hoot from listening to me recite my Chinese poem in Chinese. :angry:

Hahah.. Happy Moon Cake Day to everyone. (I call today Moon Cake Day, as I call Thanksgiving: Turkey Day. :) )

We purchased some red bean with egg yolk moon cake from SF Chinatown last Thursday. We made sure to save one for tonight. In fact, I think it's time to cut the cake and eat it under the moonlight now. :huh:

Hope everyone had a great Moon Cake Day! :angry:

• 11 months later...

Dennis - ya ya... don't you remember the Dennis, Trigg and Roger Hour? We could dig in the archives, but hei... Relax you - moon cakes are COOL !!! I think will try to find some indonesian chinese bakers this year in houston, see what kind of trouble i can get into.

Guest WenDylan

I found this link. Enjoy it, my friends. :(

Do you bake the same moon cake recipe every year?

I sure am looking forward to having as much fun as I did last year. B)

Thanks for posting during the Wen, Dylan, Darnell hour on the Candle, Jo. :rolleyes:

I didn't even see that, you sly dog. Quit making some text small than others... otherwise I might skip it because it isn't as important as the other words. B)