Chinese Civility?

Just Remember:

When District Attorney Hamilton Burger lost a case to

Perry Mason, he would tell Perry it's his job to see justice served.

In China, you need to balance out the bribes (or connection) paid by the other side to get justice.

The best trial lawyers in China never argue in court. They resolve cases in their favor at dinner tables, ex parte!

Even for criminal cases, there is a semi-public price list. X amount from death penalty reduced to life in prison and so forth. You can put Perry Mason in a Chinese court and he will end up in prison before the close of his third case.

TIC=this is China!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No lessons needed. They are survivalists protecting self interest and cautious of people they don't know. Of course there are always the opposites to any generalization.

I was told to ignore an old man who hurt himself running into the car door as I got out. I was in China so I restrained myself and followed my Chinese host. Later they were curious of what I intended to do when I appeared to want to rush towards him. It was an interesting comparison for both of us.

Had I gone to his aid they assured me it could have gotten bad for us. By turning away he yelled then turned away also. Done - no problems.

As China changes and people can afford the luxury of being nice to each other it will probably change. As an example funds collected by charities are rising rapidly in China. But an article I saw last year indicated it is easier to collect for foreign aid than Chinese aid in China. A factor may be that Chinese believe in fate. If a person is unlucky or poor it is fate why interfere.

Hello, This is an interesting topic. Jbray mentioned the golden rule( a western idea) and that Confucianism also teaches that. I was told recently that actually Confucianism teaches the silver rule( an Asian idea). This says do not do unto other that which you do not want done to you. I know that it seems to sound the same but it was explained to me that the Golden rule suggests that we extend ourselves to do a good deed whereas the Silver rule suggest that we do not extend ourselves to do something bad to someone else. One is an action and the other is an no action. Perhaps this explains why the Chinese do not extend themselves in helping strangers( especially Chinese). It was also explained to me that the silver rule is for strangers... not for one's family. With family... fial piety rules!!! DannyB

Hello, This is an interesting topic. Jbray mentioned the golden rule( a western idea) and that Confucianism also teaches that. I was told recently that actually Confucianism teaches the silver rule( an Asian idea). This says do not do unto other that which you do not want done to you. I know that it seems to sound the same but it was explained to me that the Golden rule suggests that we extend ourselves to do a good deed whereas the Silver rule suggest that we do not extend ourselves to do something bad to someone else. One is an action and the other is an no action. Perhaps this explains why the Chinese do not extend themselves in helping strangers( especially Chinese). It was also explained to me that the silver rule is for strangers... not for one's family. With family... fial piety rules!!! DannyB

Makes sense.

I decided not to correct his quoting of confucius.. but since you did, I agree with your interpretation and application.