AOS medical exam

Limei and I filed for AOS the end of July. We have received receipt notice and biometrics appointment in Buffalo for next week. We did not apply for AP or EAD. I am now pursuing her vaccinations and I-693. I contacted a civil surgeon yesterday and they will do the exam, vaccinations and the I-693 form for $460.00. The question that I have is Limei had a physical exam as required in Guangzhou prior to her interview (k-1). Is this examination valid for the I-693 as it was just completed in May of this year? Anything else we have to prepare for prior to the AOS or is it now a waiting game? Thanks for the help! Rob & Limei

AOS only requires a full medical if the medical for the K-Visa interview was more than a year ago.

If less than a year all you need is a vaccination supplement done by a civil surgeon.

From I-485 instructions page 4, this applies to all K-Visas, the directions have not been updated to include K-3/4.

If you are a K-1 fiance(e) or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the non immigrant fiance(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report.You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

I was very firm with the civil surgeon and took the I-485 instructions and pointed at the direction that just a supplement is needed, he did the supplement for $35 treated the case as a refugee case.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Limei and I filed for AOS the end of July. We have received receipt notice and biometrics appointment in Buffalo for next week. We did not apply for AP or EAD. I am now pursuing her vaccinations and I-693. I contacted a civil surgeon yesterday and they will do the exam, vaccinations and the I-693 form for $460.00. The question that I have is Limei had a physical exam as required in Guangzhou prior to her interview (k-1). Is this examination valid for the I-693 as it was just completed in May of this year? Anything else we have to prepare for prior to the AOS or is it now a waiting game? Thanks for the help! Rob & Limei

Medical examinations are valid for more than one year after the date performed. Seems like it was an odd number like 14 or 15 months. In any event, it's at least one year. Additionally, you do NOT need the i-693, as it was already done in China. You need only the I-693 supplement for vaccination. The trick is finding a civil surgeon willing to do that. Most will, when you bring that to their attention.

Medical examinations are valid for more than one year after the date performed. Seems like it was an odd number like 14 or 15 months. In any event, it's at least one year. Additionally, you do NOT need the i-693, as it was already done in China. You need only the I-693 supplement for vaccination. The trick is finding a civil surgeon willing to do that. Most will, when you bring that to their attention.

Thanks for the response. Today the local health dept. scheduled us for Limei's vaccinations for next Thursday. They informed us that a second round of vaccinations will be conducted in a month. No charge for these. Question now is if the I-693 was already completed in China at the time of her exam where is this form or where can it be located? Do I have to provide it or just the supplement? Once the civil surgeon completes these forms should I forward them to AOS?

AOS only requires a full medical if the medical for the K-Visa interview was more than a year ago.

If less than a year all you need is a vaccination supplement done by a civil surgeon.

From I-485 instructions page 4, this applies to all K-Visas, the directions have not been updated to include K-3/4.

If you are a K-1 fiance(e) or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the non immigrant fiance(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report.You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application.

I was very firm with the civil surgeon and took the I-485 instructions and pointed at the direction that just a supplement is needed, he did the supplement for $35 treated the case as a refugee case.

The civil surgeon that I contacted stated that if I bring him documentation showing that another exam is not required he will sign the I-693 supplement. Where can I find this? I downloaded the I-485 but can not locate this wording.

Robert ... look at paragraph 8, page 4 of the 485 instructions. This is what Dan quoted and you download the instructions at the URL he gave you.

The I-693 was in the sealed package they took when she entered the US. You need to have the 693 supplement which just deals with immunizations. The Civil Surgeon will fill it out, give you a copy, seal the original in an envelope and give you the sealed envelope. You submit the sealed envelope with the 485 package.

Guest ShaQuaNew

The civil surgeon that I contacted stated that if I bring him documentation showing that another exam is not required he will sign the I-693 supplement. Where can I find this? I downloaded the I-485 but can not locate this wording.

Robert, the Civil Surgeon has the document on hand. They will complete it and sign it. Make sure the doctor also gives you a signed original for your files. Send it in with the AOS.

Robert ... look at paragraph 8, page 4 of the 485 instructions. This is what Dan quoted and you download the instructions at the URL he gave you.

The I-693 was in the sealed package they took when she entered the US. You need to have the 693 supplement which just deals with immunizations. The Civil Surgeon will fill it out, give you a copy, seal the original in an envelope and give you the sealed envelope. You submit the sealed envelope with the 485 package.

O.K. I'm catching on! I just found and copied the instructions to prove that another exam is not neccessary. However....I filed for AOS in July and we are now doing the vaccinations and biometrics next week. Do I mail the I-693 supplement as a follow up to the AOS application? Our AOS application was received but the supplement was not requested.

O.K. I'm catching on! I just found and copied the instructions to prove that another exam is not neccessary. However....I filed for AOS in July and we are now doing the vaccinations and biometrics next week. Do I mail the I-693 supplement as a follow up to the AOS application? Our AOS application was received but the supplement was not requested.

The biometrics (photo and fingerprints) are not at all related to the vaccinations.

I would get the I-693 supplement in the sealed envelope and just hang on to it.

You may get an RFE notice asking for it ... in that case submit it.

You may go to the interview without the lack of vaccinations ever being mentioned. In that case have it with you in case it is asked for.

If no one ever asks for it I'd be tempted just to leave it sealed and keep it in your files.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Your vaccination supplement should have accompanied the original paperwork. But not to worry if you didn't send it. I've heard of many petitions being approved without it, simply because it was missed and improperly approved. If they catch it, and see that it's not there, they will send an RFE. NO need to send anything until you receive an RFE.

The biometrics (photo and fingerprints) are not at all related to the vaccinations.

I would get the I-693 supplement in the sealed envelope and just hang on to it.

You may get an RFE notice asking for it ... in that case submit it.

You may go to the interview without the lack of vaccinations ever being mentioned. In that case have it with you in case it is asked for.

If no one ever asks for it I'd be tempted just to leave it sealed and keep it in your files.

Sounds like a good game plan....Thanks

Fianc¨¦(e)s.

If you are a K-1 fianc¨¦(e) or K-2 dependent who had amedical examination within the past year as required forthe nonimmigrant fianc¨¦(e) visa, you only need to submita vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report.You may include the vaccination supplement with youradjustment of status application.

The instructions from I-485 seem to indicate it's a year.

Fianc¨¦(e)s.

If you are a K-1 fianc¨¦(e) or K-2 dependent who had amedical examination within the past year as required forthe nonimmigrant fianc¨¦(e) visa, you only need to submita vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report.You may include the vaccination supplement with youradjustment of status application.

The instructions from I-485 seem to indicate it's a year.

All this came up two and a half years ago as I was preparing to go to the AOS Interview. From the time of her med exam, March, 2004 to the time of the interview, May 2005, nearly 14 months had elapsed. In my normal panic mode, I called USCIS. After sending 3 underlings packing, I talked to a supervisor about the issue. She told me that as long as you have applied for AOS before one year from the date of the physical then the med exam is valid.

At that time we had a few members who had sent in AOS and were RFE'd to get a new physical even if the old one was only a few months old. I asked the USCIS supervisor about this and she explained to me that the IO has discretion to either wave any or all requirements and/or to add additional requirements. "If they choose to have the person adjusting status have 10 med exams, then they need ten"--her words.

Also, as the I-693 vac supplement is NOT required to be sent in with the AOS paperwork but rather to be brought to the Interview, I queried her on this as members had been getting RFE'd for this also. she told me that I was correct, it only need be brought to the interview BUT THE IO HAS blah bkah blah.

Sooooo, whatever you think the rule book says is just that-what you think it says as the IO doesn't go by the same rules as we do!!