My husband is coming in two days! Yeah!!

In our applications for the CR1 visa, we listed my mom's address as the address where he would be residing. However, I'm getting settled in Evanston, IL quicker than expected, and I've just signed a lease to an apartment. When Tyler goes through immigration, can he put the new address? Do we have to fill out a form to change the address?

I'm thinking as a sponsor, I need to fill out form I-865 to show my change in address. But what about him? Is it enough for him to just give the new address when he enters the country?

Thanks a bundle!

Congratulations, you've waited a long time.

I looked this up, read your post again, and then realized you are only asking about him. What I found, and chose to focus on, was this: "The law requires nearly all non-U.S. Citizens to report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a Form AR-11." Note there is no mention of 'well, tell us at POE and it's OK'. You already know what's required for you.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

Nothing to do at the POE.

Once you settle in your apartment do 2 things.

File AR-11 to change your husband's address, this can be done online.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

File I-865 to update your address as immigrant sponsor.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Yeah, go. But as has been cautioned elsewhere, do it at the risk of lost mail and canceled appointments, or worse- canceled cases. Read what happened when woailin moved, for example.

This is not the case for the OP, husband is entering the country on a CR-1 visa, the thing that may be a problem is that USCIS may and probably will mail the Green-Card to her parents' home, fortunately there will be someone there to receive the green-card.

I would not put any forwarding orders in with the post office until after getting the green-card. The Post office usually returns USCIS mail as undeliverable instead of forwarding.

What about K1 SO's entering the US............

The address we filled in on the original I-129F will be different from the AOS forms we will be filling out next month. Do we just fill in the AOS forms with the new address and everything is taken care of, or do we ALSO have to fill out the AR-11 in addition to the AOS forms???

The address we filled in on the original I-129F will be different from the AOS forms we will be filling out next month. Do we just fill in the AOS forms with the new address and everything is taken care of, or do we ALSO have to fill out the AR-11 in addition to the AOS forms???

Read the instructions of the I-485. It specifically answers your question.

My husband is coming in two days! Yeah!!

In our applications for the CR1 visa, we listed my mom's address as the address where he would be residing. However, I'm getting settled in Evanston, IL quicker than expected, and I've just signed a lease to an apartment. When Tyler goes through immigration, can he put the new address? Do we have to fill out a form to change the address?

I'm thinking as a sponsor, I need to fill out form I-865 to show my change in address. But what about him? Is it enough for him to just give the new address when he enters the country?

Thanks a bundle!

Heather, this is only my opinion, so take it as opinion. If I were in your situation, I would not have my SO enter a new address. It will just cause potential problems. The fact that the address on file is of your parent will be fine, as all mail/contact can be forwarded or notified to you. If the previous address was not of your parent, then indeed you should note the change of address for your SO as well, but all mailings to your parent's residence can be forwarded to you guys--by express mail if needed--so you should be fine.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

Of course these things are really only my opinion. But, how could the Gov't spell it out any plainer than has been done in the hyper-links above? "The law requires nearly all non-U.S. Citizens to report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a Form AR-11." Note: Neither is there any mention of a hard working, underpaid staffer having the authority to say 'well, gee, golly shuchks, I see the address on this form is different from the address on that form, I guess I'll just figure out, all by myself, that you moved.....

There are specific legal requirements to be met. AOS filers and I-485 signers must report and do it in specific ways, a change of address.

To be on the safe side do an AR-11 online, but yes you will be fine with using new address on the AOS forms.

In the future after AOS approval, you will need to file an AR-11, as well as I-865 any time you move, until your SO naturalizes.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)