Chinese Driver's License

Even if he is legal to drive for 90 days, he still need to pass the written test prior to getting the license. Driving in USA is different than driving in China. In China, they don't follow the same rules as here. It is best he studies the written test and passes the permit before driving the roads here.

Haha. They DO drive differently! However, as far as I can tell, the rules in the big city are fairly similar. They just break them all the time.

I agree that going over the traffic rules, looking over the different signs, explaining that they *must* follow them... it's definitely important!! I was once driving around two Chinese friends in the States, and they said "wow, you drive really safe". No.. I drive normal. :rolleyes:

I've been prepping my husband for this for a while, telling him how driving is different. One thing I can't remember is "yield" signs over there ... I think they'd be pretty futile if there were some.

Thanks again all. :angry:

......and many of the rules......

:surprise: Rules on the road in China? Hummmm...... like the pic I used as my avatar? I took that photo on a one-way street some where in GUZ a couple of years ago!

Too funny !!! :P

The concept of vehicle ¡®right-of-way¡¯ and ¡®unsafe lane change¡¯ to name a couple, are non-existent in the PRC.

Moreover, I think the biggest shock to Chinese who come to America, must be the notion that a ¡®pedestrian¡¯ has the right-of-way, in most instances. :lol:

Dave & Ed ... please check again and make it clear that you're talking about a license from Mainland China or the People's Republic of China .... NOT Taiwan.

You may get a different answer ...

Jim, I would have agreed with you prior to reading this thread but having read this thread, and then doing some of my own research, it seems relatively clear that with a valid Chinese DL, one could drive in CA.

International Driving Permits

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person's foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

Of course you could argue that your wife, or any of our wifes/SOs aren't residents of China anymore but are residents of the US, and thus the Chinese license isn't valid anymore. I can see that argument. But I think on a more practical level, it seems a Chinese DL will suffice in CA.

Roger, but what about the issue of auto insurance in CA?

What do LEOs generally do when they encounter drivers from another country with a valid foreign DL, with regards to their auto insurance?

What do LEOs generally do when they encounter drivers from another country with a valid foreign DL, with regards to their auto insurance?

Lance,

In California, the LEO will just ask for ¡®proof of insurance¡¯ along with the DL and the vehicle registration.

The law, (16028 a VC) only speaks to providing documented evidence of proof of financial responsibility ¡°for the vehicle¡± which is in effect, at ¡°the time the demand is made¡±¡­¡­¡­.

The proof of insurance in this state, is in reality on the vehicle, not the person operating the vehicle. The proof of insurance ID card, which we all carry in the glove box along with the registration card, has the vehicle VIN # on it, that is what the officer will cross reference with the registration, not the individual who is operating the vehicle. If it is a rental car, separate insurance can be purchased and noted on the contract, as the required proof.

Also, with respect to the definition of ¡®residency¡¯ within this state, it is quite liberal in interpretation and application. It is the act of gainful employment and/or being employed for compensation by another for the purpose of driving a motor vehicle on a highway, which will most trigger the presumption of residency in the officer¡¯s mind.

If Lao Po, is stopped by an officer here, and provides the Chinese (PRC) DL, and has the vehicle registration card and proof of insurance card available to present to the officer; and she then tells him, with a big warm smile, that she arrived here in Los Angeles, in the past week, and that either she is just visiting friends/relatives or that she is going to soon establish residency (after marriage to an American) that most likely will be the end of it.

He will most likely remind her of the ten day grace period, issue the warning or citation for the original reason for the traffic stop and then be on his way.

Most officers I have worked with will not really care about the actual 10 day limit, they will go with whatever reasonable explanation the driver offers and that will be the end of it.

The only exception to this is when the driver¡¯s demeanor, appearance, behavior, etc. presents to him a certain intuitive/learned ¡®profile¡¯ with several ¡®indicators¡®, that something is amiss¡­¡­then there will most likely be further investigation of the situation.

Last point to make: Most traffic violations are now classified as Infractions. These do not go on any permanent criminal record and are not reported to NCIC etc. Only for an offense in which a booking took place, misdemeanors and felonies, is there a permanent criminal record created. Traffic Infractions are only stored (usually three years) in the state DMV computer, which would not be accessed by agencies such as USCIS or the DOS for the purposes of a background check. DUI is a misdemeanor (most often) and this is one of the traffic offenses that would be entered into NCIC, thus available to USCIS etc.

Roger, thanks for your detailed post. It'll prove most useful in the future. :)

Actually, I do find it interesting that the insurance is for the car and not the driver. The insurance companies certainly don't make it sound that way.

Lance,

In California, the LEO will just ask for ¡®proof of insurance¡¯ along with the DL and the vehicle registration.

The law, (16028 a VC) only speaks to providing documented evidence of proof of financial responsibility ¡°for the vehicle¡± which is in effect, at ¡°the time the demand is made¡±¡­¡­¡­.

The proof of insurance in this state, is in reality on the vehicle, not the person operating the vehicle. The proof of insurance ID card, which we all carry in the glove box along with the registration card, has the vehicle VIN # on it, that is what the officer will cross reference with the registration, not the individual who is operating the vehicle. If it is a rental car, separate insurance can be purchased and noted on the contract, as the required proof.

Also, with respect to the definition of ¡®residency¡¯ within this state, it is quite liberal in interpretation and application. It is the act of gainful employment and/or being employed for compensation by another for the purpose of driving a motor vehicle on a highway, which will most trigger the presumption of residency in the officer¡¯s mind.

If Lao Po, is stopped by an officer here, and provides the Chinese (PRC) DL, and has the vehicle registration card and proof of insurance card available to present to the officer; and she then tells him, with a big warm smile, that she arrived here in Los Angeles, in the past week, and that either she is just visiting friends/relatives or that she is going to soon establish residency (after marriage to an American) that most likely will be the end of it.

He will most likely remind her of the ten day grace period, issue the warning or citation for the original reason for the traffic stop and then be on his way.

Most officers I have worked with will not really care about the actual 10 day limit, they will go with whatever reasonable explanation the driver offers and that will be the end of it.

The only exception to this is when the driver¡¯s demeanor, appearance, behavior, etc. presents to him a certain intuitive/learned ¡®profile¡¯ with several ¡®indicators¡®, that something is amiss¡­¡­then there will most likely be further investigation of the situation.

Last point to make: Most traffic violations are now classified as Infractions. These do not go on any permanent criminal record and are not reported to NCIC etc. Only for an offense in which a booking took place, misdemeanors and felonies, is there a permanent criminal record created. Traffic Infractions are only stored (usually three years) in the state DMV computer, which would not be accessed by agencies such as USCIS or the DOS for the purposes of a background check. DUI is a misdemeanor (most often) and this is one of the traffic offenses that would be entered into NCIC, thus available to USCIS etc.