Visa getting easier or harder?

From a statistical point of view.. and a very small one at that (CFL is a small community), the K1 and CR1 are having more denials than last year.

This coincides with newer forms and consulate requests on those forms.. particularly, if the USC or chinese national has been previously married, this is scrutinized more; If the USC, they are requesting the "ex" residence, phone, and SSN; if the chinese national, one member reports GUZ showing up at their door unannounced and going through the trash ;)

I guess this is the consulate version of the "untouchables" at work...

Guest ShaQuaNew

From a statistical point of view.. and a very small one at that (CFL is a small community), the K1 and CR1 are having more denials than last year.

This coincides with newer forms and consulate requests on those forms.. particularly, if the USC or chinese national has been previously married, this is scrutinized more; If the USC, they are requesting the "ex" residence, phone, and SSN; if the chinese national, one member reports GUZ showing up at their door unannounced and going through the trash ;)

The details of US immigration have always been a matter of controversy. The Chinese Exclusion Act is a case in point.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was the first significant restriction on free immigration in U.S. history. The Act excluded Chinese "skilled and unskilled laborers and Chinese employed in mining" from the country for ten years under penalty of imprisonment and deportation.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed by the 1943 Magnuson Act, allowing a national quota of 105 Chinese immigrants per year, although large scale Chinese immigration did not occur until the passage of the Immigration Act of 1965.

There are a lot of people in the US today who want to either ban or sanction trade with China. Further, there is an undercurrent that wishes to greatly limit the number of visas granted to China; AGAIN!

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

This coincides with newer forms and consulate requests on those forms.. particularly, if the USC or chinese national has been previously married, this is scrutinized more; If the USC, they are requesting the "ex" residence, phone, and SSN; if the chinese national, one member reports GUZ showing up at their door unannounced and going through the trash :lol:

The details of US immigration have always been a matter of controversy. The Chinese Exclusion Act is a case in point.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was the first significant restriction on free immigration in U.S. history. The Act excluded Chinese "skilled and unskilled laborers and Chinese employed in mining" from the country for ten years under penalty of imprisonment and deportation.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed by the 1943 Magnuson Act, allowing a national quota of 105 Chinese immigrants per year, although large scale Chinese immigration did not occur until the passage of the Immigration Act of 1965.

There are a lot of people in the US today who want to either ban or sanction trade with China. Further, there is an undercurrent that wishes to greatly limit the number of visas granted to China; AGAIN!

Just to amplify this post a little, not that it needs it, but if you read the "Chopstick" article check out the responses underneath it. Most, if not all, are accusing China of something akin to a clandestine war on the US. Pathetic really. And as much as I want/need to come home this mentality scares me.

I agree. There seems to be a concerted anti-China effort gaining momentum lately. One recent news article was focusing on a family trying to live without buying anything imported from China. Yes, pathetic. China is now manufacturing thousands of quality products being exported to the US. Life as we know it today would not survive without them; and quite frankly I find it repugnant all the negative press China is receiving lately about lead paint etc. China is doing much more each and every day to improve itself in the global market and the focus should be on that, not on a bunch of old whiney Chinese haters who get their panties in a bunch when another country does something better than the US.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Not to go too far off topic, but this needs to be said.

Let me tell you a short story.

We own six chain stores in Fuzhou. We do some export and recently we had the opportunity to conduct a transaction with a businessman from the US.

I insist on the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price. We found the merchandise the businessman wanted, quality at a very reasonable price, but he decided that he could find it cheaper, and consequently the merchandise was also garbage IMO. But it didn't matter the $$$$ did. So when people go berserk about low quality merchandise coming from China, maybe they should consider the source, and the source ain't China.

Great story. My wife always says you get what you pay for; it's true in China as it's true in the US.

Apologies to the OP :lol:

This coincides with newer forms and consulate requests on those forms.. particularly, if the USC or chinese national has been previously married, this is scrutinized more; If the USC, they are requesting the "ex" residence, phone, and SSN; if the chinese national, one member reports GUZ showing up at their door unannounced and going through the trash :lol:

Just to amplify this post a little, not that it needs it, but if you read the "Chopstick" article check out the responses underneath it. Most, if not all, are accusing China of something akin to a clandestine war on the US. Pathetic really. And as much as I want/need to come home this mentality scares me.

I agree. There seems to be a concerted anti-China effort gaining momentum lately. One recent news article was focusing on a family trying to live without buying anything imported from China. Yes, pathetic. China is now manufacturing thousands of quality products being exported to the US. Life as we know it today would not survive without them; and quite frankly I find it repugnant all the negative press China is receiving lately about lead paint etc. China is doing much more each and every day to improve itself in the global market and the focus should be on that, not on a bunch of old whiney Chinese haters who get their panties in a bunch when another country does something better than the US.

We own six chain stores in Fuzhou. We do some export and recently we had the opportunity to conduct a transaction with a businessman from the US.

I insist on the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price. We found the merchandise the businessman wanted, quality at a very reasonable price, but he decided that he could find it cheaper, and consequently the merchandise was also garbage IMO. But it didn't matter the $$$$ did. So when people go berserk about low quality merchandise coming from China, maybe they should consider the source, and the source ain't China.

Many stories are written to sell newspapers.

This coincides with newer forms and consulate requests on those forms.. particularly, if the USC or chinese national has been previously married, this is scrutinized more; If the USC, they are requesting the "ex" residence, phone, and SSN; if the chinese national, one member reports GUZ showing up at their door unannounced and going through the trash :D

Many stories are written to sell newspapers.

Yes, it seems as though the media has has forgotten about all the crap we have been producing. Hmmm let see, the spinach last year killing people, the Firestone Tire/Ford rollovers, countless meat packing plants recalls, the Crown Vic's with w/the gas tank explosions along w/ this same problem dating back to the Pinto's and Corvairs.

As for Mattel and other toy companys, man! we can't find somebody here build and buy them from. Oh, I forgot it's all about max profit and bonus money for the CEO. Whew! I gotta stop ranting :D

Yes, it seems as though the media has has forgotten about all the crap we have been producing. Hmmm let see, the spinach last year killing people, the Firestone Tire/Ford rollovers, countless meat packing plants recalls, the Crown Vic's with w/the gas tank explosions along w/ this same problem dating back to the Pinto's and Corvairs.

As for Mattel and other toy companys, man! we can't find somebody here build and buy them from. Oh, I forgot it's all about max profit and bonus money for the CEO. Whew! I gotta stop ranting :P

Right-on Ktm !!!!

I was trying to think of all that was on this list, myself, the other night. In addition to the spinach last year, there was green onions (scallions) that killed and sickened people the year before; not to mention all the recalls on American produced medications in the past few years.

When you look at the total level of exports from China, my guess is that as a percentage, the product recall issue is no greater than most other countries, including the USA, or at least very close. Many times, in the US, a recall may be buried on page 12 of the local rag; however, when it involves China, it is always page one, and News at 6:00 !!! Lately there has been no balance, be it CNN or Fox News, and all things are blown out of proportion.

It becomes sort of a feeding-frenzy with the mass media. It then becomes sensationalized and loses perspective, such was the case of the tooth paste, which did not cause any illness, and of course, not one death.

The problem is, that for most Americans, who are very uneducated about modern China, it is so easy to create and leave a wrong stereotype and create long-term misimpressions.

Clearly the worst of the worst in this regard, is Mr. Lou Dobbs at CNN.

He is a China basher of the highest level. His dislike of China (or as he refers to it as "Communist China") and his personal bias, borders on being hateful. He does not just report the news in this regard, he spews forth his own personal agenda of dislike/disgust for everything Chinese. He even made a recent sarcastic comment about the upcoming Olympic Games in China¡­¡­.¡±wow, that should be a real hoot !!¡± When, of course talking about air pollution and the effects on Olympic runners. For such an obviously educated man, he sure comes across as a xenophobe.

This bias has no political bounds within our country. Those on the right see China as evil and a national security threat and those on the left, see China as a threat to labor, jobs, and human rights. There is no middle ground with many of these people. Much of their information is second, third, or fourth hand. Many of the China bashers have never once visited the country, nor have come to know the culture or people, as most here have.

So, just for some time filler..and perspective for those who are waiting and have already waited...

Is it easier to get a visa today than it was last year or three years ago...and what are the major changes?

In line with the OP question

I think there are delays and more possible roadblocks than in the past. When we started the process the interviews were at the Island and you picked up the the visa next day. I think there was a quicker process to submit overcome info. At the time of our interview the location moved to the office building and you waited a few days to pick up the real result at the post office. I think shortly after that the process changed to scheduling a overcome appointment via phone

IMHO it has changed for the worse, especially if you are not a easy pass

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)

Well, thank you all for an interesting discussion. Upon reading the posts, two additional questions popped up..

1) What are the projected changes in the visa process post Beijing 2008?

2) What are the major differences in how American and Chinese students are taught to think? (for example, I have often felt that for a bulk of the last 30-40 years, chinese are taught math, science, engineering, accounting and how to apply them whereas american students are tought the same, but the emphasis is on how to think and solve the unseen problems--indepent thought and action not being encouraged in the previously communist china)

Well...I will one day get around to posting these threads..today I am taking my chinese born and raised and very pregnant wife with my chinese born american 15 month old daughter to the California State Fair and see if I can get my wife to eat a corn dog..

As usual, you all have been great!

ÎÒÆÚÍûÄãÈ«²¿Óа²È«¡¢½¡¿µ¡¢¿ìÀÖ¡¢°®ºÍÐí¶àÇ®

Rob

This hits the nail right on the head Steve. Perhaps the USA businessmen will wake up one day?????????

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

Well, thank you all for an interesting discussion. Upon reading the posts, two additional questions popped up..

2) What are the major differences in how American and Chinese students are taught to think? (for example, I have often felt that for a bulk of the last 30-40 years, chinese are taught math, science, engineering, accounting and how to apply them whereas american students are tought the same, but the emphasis is on how to think and solve the unseen problems--indepent thought and action not being encouraged in the previously communist china)

Well...I will one day get around to posting these threads..today I am taking my chinese born and raised and very pregnant wife with my chinese born american 15 month old daughter to the California State Fair and see if I can get my wife to eat a corn dog..

Rob

Was there last weekend with the kids !! Why does the State Fair always have to be in the hottest month of the year in Sacramento !!?? It was 104F last weekend. :( And yes, those are very interesting topics !!!

Rob

I'll pass on your first question. My crystal ball got broke when tai tai swung the mop and I ducked.....she knocked it off my desk and it shattered on the tile floor.

There was a good deal of discussion about the differences in education between the US and China some time back. We had a couple of guys who had taught there for years and shared their views.

The concensus was Chinese tend to be taught by rote. One reason they excel in math, science and so forth. They learn the 'right' answer. They are not taught critical/abstract thinking so they tend to struggle when they is more than one 'right' answer. They also struggle to think outside the box.

US education tends to teach rote in elementary school and then changes emphasis in high school towards problem solving. College/university goes another step up that ladder.

These are, of course, very coarse generalizations.

Very astute Don, go to the head of the class. Those are pretty much my observations having taught university classes in both the US and China. A test question that has more than one correct answer, I have found, has been difficult for many (not all) of my Chinese students and not as hard for students in the US. For example a test question may read, "Should the Chinese government require local businesses that will cater to the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, to undergo mandatory training in western etiquette?" This is ONLY an example of one of my test questions, and I will NOT debate the question here on CFL. You haven't paid your tuition and fees to the State of Texas, so I will not discuss the test question.

The example given was harder for my Chinese students because they were looking for the "right" answer when in fact, a yes or no, substantiated with good data and sound reasoning, would have gotten you an A. Some of my Chinese students did think out of the box and wrote opposing views with good justifications. Where there are absolutes and non-critical thinking, I find Chinese students do very well...that is why my fiancee will handle the budget...I can add 3+7+9 four times and come up with four different answers because my math skills are terrible.

These are MY observations in light of what Don commented on.

As aye,

Jim

Guest Mike and Lily

As for Mattel and other toy companys, man! we can't find somebody here build and buy them from. Oh, I forgot it's all about max profit and bonus money for the CEO. Whew! I gotta stop ranting :(

China is having fits and starts just like Japan did in the 60's and early 70's. For those of you that are old enough to remember, the quality of Japanese products was a joke in the 60's and early 70's. No one is laughing now, especially not th US auto industry.

China is at that point now with their products and economy. In a few years, they will get their quality control issues straightened out and will be even more formidable competitors then the Japanese are, and on a much higher volume basis too. There is bound to be more anti-Chinese sentiment as more and more good US jobs go away because of this. The good news is, the Chinese will come in with their appreciated Yuan values and take vacations and buy real estate here. That will help our economy too, but not the anti-chinese sentiment. I really think China will remain a more difficult country to immigrate from (unless you are very rich there ) and may even become more so.