Re-entry to USA

My wife re-entered the USA on 7/24 with an I-551 stamp in her passport. She tried to explain to the IO that she had her GC but he made her fill out an I-94 form and stapled it into her passport. This is not correct because she now has a 2 year time frame because of the I-94. I called USCIS and explained the situation to them and they told me to just remove the I-94 and put with my records it was their mistake. Should I agree with this and not worry or maybe set up infopass and get this corrected in computer? My wife has her actual GC in her possession now and the stamp is no longer valid.

Sorry haven't been on lately but haven't had computer access until now because of a move and finally got my internet access hooked up.

Mike

Don't worry about the I-94 card, you can even discard it, LPR's don't need entry/departure card, the officer at POE may have not understood.

Did your wife use the visitors or returning resident's line at the POE?

The A#'s are not the same they are different. Where they got the new A# I don't know. But not from her original visa or the I-551 stamp.

Sounds like a case of confusion, the K-4 gets the I-94 card. I would not worry about the I-94 in wife's passport, you can wait and turn it in if and when the K-4 adjusts status.

The A#'s are not the same they are different. Where they got the new A# I don't know. But not from her original visa or the I-551 stamp.

Sounds like a case of confusion, the K-4 gets the I-94 card. I would not worry about the I-94 in wife's passport, you can wait and turn it in if and when the K-4 adjusts status.

I think that you have an infopass and it will be clear.

Check the A#'s on the I-94 and the green card. They should be the same.

Randy, did your Master Calendar hearing go well? Is it positive? you are confident in the attorney?

The hearing is scheduled for Nov 15. It looks like no matter who loses, they would appeal. So it would be a year or longer before any kind of a settlement. In the meantime, his family - father, grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. are all back in China with no hope of him going back for a visit.

So we'll have to wait and see what the lawyer (yes she's a good one) comes up with between now and Nov.

Thanks

My wife has her actual GC in her possession now and the stamp is no longer valid.

Mike, what stamp are you referring to above? The I-551 stamp? This is the first time I've heard of the I-551 stamp being "no longer valid" after receipt of the GC card. What makes you say that? :roller:

I am under the impression that the I-551 stamp will be valid so long as the passport is valid. Or put another way, there's no expiration date on the stamp itself, but only expires in conjunction with the expiry of the NON-US passport.

My wife has her actual GC in her possession now and the stamp is no longer valid.

Mike, what stamp are you referring to above? The I-551 stamp? This is the first time I've heard of the I-551 stamp being "no longer valid" after receipt of the GC card. What makes you say that? :unsure:

I am under the impression that the I-551 stamp will be valid so long as the passport is valid. Or put another way, there's no expiration date on the stamp itself, but only expires in conjunction with the expiry of the NON-US passport.

http://www.state.nd.us/humanservices/policymanuals/foodstamps-508/image/i-551_-_stamp_in_foreign_passport.gif

he I-551 stamp in your passport has the same legal meaning as the actual I-551 permanent residence card. The only difference is that the stamp must be renewed after a year and the card must be renewed after two years if it is conditional or ten years if it is not conditional. You do not lose your permanent residency if the card or stamp expires. But you will lack any legal proof of your permanent residency if this happens so it is in your best interest to make sure you file in a timely manner for an extension. Note also that either the I-551 stamp or the green card is acceptable proof of employment authorization when you complete an I-9 for a new employer.
Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

he I-551 stamp in your passport has the same legal meaning as the actual I-551 permanent residence card. The only difference is that the stamp must be renewed after a year and the card must be renewed after two years if it is conditional or ten years if it is not conditional. You do not lose your permanent residency if the card or stamp expires. But you will lack any legal proof of your permanent residency if this happens so it is in your best interest to make sure you file in a timely manner for an extension. Note also that either the I-551 stamp or the green card is acceptable proof of employment authorization when you complete an I-9 for a new employer.

Interesting. I learn something new everyday. :unsure:

So an I-551 stamp is only good for a year.