They did not take her CR-2 packet at the Airport

We are in Newark where we picked up our 7 year old.

Immigration processed her in on her B2 not the CR2.

I will go to the airport in the AM and see if I can get them to fix it directly there. Otherwise what do I do? Sned this in to an address myself?

I will go to the airport in the AM and see if I can get them to fix it directly there. Otherwise what do I do? Sned this in to an address myself?

I don't know, but I'll reply anyway since we're both here - I think you MUST go back and get them to correct the mistake.

I suppose she could always leave the country, and come back in, even just in the airport, but it's probably best to get them to do it right.

and welcome them back for us!

Call USCIS, they can process her at your local CIS office, no need to visit the airport, besides you cannot get back into the immigrations section of the airport. Perhaps schedule and INFO-PASS at your local office.

This happens sometimes to Canadians immigrating to USA by air, Canadians need to first visit immigrations before getting on the plane to the USA because flights from Canada are treated as domestic.

There was one on VJ that came from Canada, and they did not take immigrations packet, essentially they entered as a B2 (Visa waiver) into Dallas and ended up just visiting the local office and they took the packet and stamped passport.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to let Y'all know I went back to the airport the next day. None of the phone numbers worked for Immigration at Newark airport and the local office played a loop game of office recordings, no real person.

Went to terminal C where she came in. They sent me to B, nice enough folks.

At B they actually have an office and work issues and mistakes from 8-11AM. I was there after 11. I met the lady at the security booth who took our little girl's sealed packet back to an office just to return and say I had to come back in the morning. I said I drove all the way from Texas to get her, so she went back and came out without the packet and said it must have been Texas. So I meet this guy in the office with a heavy NJ accent. He throws her passport at me and said what do you mean she came in yesterday. The passport is stamped Jul 22. I looked and my eyes popped out and started thinking how do I get out of this? SO I threw her boarding stub back at him and said the immigration officer made a mistake. He didn't look at the stub, it was just a test. Anyway he called upstairs to an officer and said a red blooded American from Texas was down here and explained it all and asked several times if they would see me. Several times he told the guy I was 100% USC. SO I got to go up and another officer took care of the whole deal and made a copy of the mistake for the entering officer to see what he did wrong.

Anyway, she is now entered on her CR-2 and he dated the visa properly and noted all in the computer. He took the package and welcomed her in.

We spent the afternoon touring NYC and took a boat trip around the statue of liberty, as it seemed appropriate. All in all we had a heartwarming time, though if those officers had not been so nice, I was ready to post to you guys what I thought of NJ, their people, and their barely labeled highways.

Oh, and you are missing nothing if you never go to NYC. Wife was surprised at how old it was with narrow streets and poor people living there too. Beijing was better in her view. I was glad to see this as she hasn't seen Dallas or some of our other more Western cities. I had never been to NYC either and found the traffic not so bad and one can easily drive around all day. Parking high, but oh well it was once. Time square is not lit up as much as Japan or China. So a lot of myths were busted for me about NYC. LA traffic is Hell and this was not so bad at all. Sunday evening traffic back into the city was bad the night before, but a work day was a breeze. If I could afford it I could live there if I had a reason.

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)