America is boring

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most interesting,, i have talked with my girl on this several times,,

she is from guangzhou..

i live in rural alabama,some shock awaits her,,,she says all she be happy if i take her to birmingham to shop fairly often,,and she wants to make friends with other chinese women...

hope all will be good for her,,

will report back later tell if she adapts to simple life .not paris and nicole...also hope to teach her to drive,what fun as my 15 year old daughter is learning now,,,pray for tim

Life can be very exciting or very boring. It is up to you to choose. If you think you are living in an area that is a lemon turn it into lemonade. My SO is very familar with my area I live in. I have gave her all kinds of information on my Metro area. She wishes to see so many things when she finally arrives here that I never thought of seeing or doing.

Wasn't that done by Ernest Tubb?

I thought it was Ernest T. Bass. :D

Ernest Tubb probably died before you were born. He was a country music biggie back in the 40's & 50's.

Actually, when I was a kid, my parents listened to alot of Country music and we always watched Hee Haw and anything having to do with The Grand Ole Opry. So I remember him from that plus just about any C/W awards show in the last 40 years mentions him at some point.

He was very well thought of among his peers.

I did see more of Ernest T. Bass though. :D

Wasn't that done by Ernest Tubb?

I thought it was Ernest T. Bass. ;)

Ernest Tubb probably died before you were born. He was a country music biggie back in the 40's & 50's.

Actually, when I was a kid, my parents listened to alot of Country music and we always watched Hee Haw and anything having to do with The Grand Ole Opry. So I remember him from that plus just about any C/W awards show in the last 40 years mentions him at some point.

He was very well thought of among his peers.

I did see more of Ernest T. Bass though. :)

i thought it was that geroge straight...all my ex's live in texas :)

In China when I was there

• everybody got up at 7 or earlier
  • Walk to work
  • Took a 1 hour nap after lunch.
  • Dinner after work
  • shopping/window shopping in malls with A/C
  • Most days they stay up to 11pm
  • occasionally go out to KTV/bar/social event

In America:

• I get up about 6
  • Drive to work
  • Eat lunch. No nap
  • Dinner at home after work in my nice house with A/C
  • Most days I stay up to 10pm
  • occasionally go out to bar/movie/social event on the weekend

My SO will arrive in a month.

My wife worked in a government hospital's accounting department in Shenzhen for 15 years...now living in an Indiana suburb of Chicago she is busy most of the time. She is studying American style accounting practices and also trying to figure out a way to make millions using e-Bay! hehehe

Thank goodness for the internet and a DSL line. We recently bought a VOIP service so Rong can talk with anyone in China as much as she wants for no additional cost than the monthly VOIP fee. The BAD part of this is that the service supplies a Chinese phone number so that her friends/family/former work colleagues can call her toll-free any time, night or day! Egads! I think I've created a monster!

Rong loves nature and is not bored with life here. She says there is much to do here and many sites to see. In fact, this weekend we are going to drive to Lafayette, IN to visit a man and his Chinese wife. This woman located Rong through one of the Chinese BB sites Rong frequents. So far, we have met four couples this way.

It was suggested to me before my Rong came to the US that it is ill advised for her to have only Chinese friends/workplace, etc as she will never become comfortable with the US this way. I believe we have achieved a nice balance between China and US friends.

It was suggested to me before my Rong came to the US that it is ill advised for her to have only Chinese friends/workplace, etc as she will never become comfortable with the US this way. I believe we have achieved a nice balance between China and US friends.

I think I've heard both extremes: ladies come here and don't learn english even after 3-5 years as they get comfortable with a 'chinese network', and ladies forsake "all things chinese" only to find themselves burnt out on a cultural change they underestimated.

One has to figure out what works best for their SO... If she knows little to no english, one will probably build up the chinese network a little earlier; if her english is good, she can probably even job hunt for an american job.

My wife came here with little to no english.. I took a balanced approach and made sure both sides were brought to her (or she was brought to both cultures): I started the chinese network for her, but then I got the US exposure going by getting her a first job at an american company but which made calls to chinese (workers needed english but actual work needed chinese); Next job was at a chinese acupuncture office with mostly american clients (office interaction needed chinese but smaller interaction with clients needed english). Same now with third job and current job... Along the way, she has "figured out" what american business is like to a large degree and how it differs from the chinese way. (her major in [beiJing] college was management, so she tends to look at business issues).

My wife needs a strong chinese connection around her.. that's her personality and her "chinese to the bone" makeup... Another will be very different and what matters is they are able to meet their SOs needs to be confident inward and be courageous outward.

One thing that amuses me is the presumption that we have any control at all over what kind of adjustments they make. The best you can do is to give them what ever help you can on finding their own way. I will say that being plugged into the local CFL members has helped in that my wife has people to talk to who know exactly what she is going through. Most of the time though she is resisitant to meeting new people.

American life is boring, in a good way though. I can sit on the patio at dusk for hours, day dreaming, with a cat sleeping on my feet. Every week I spend 10 minutes speaking Chinese calling to my family, but that does not bother me. I feel frustrate sometimes due to the awaraness of my grammar mistakes in speaking English, there are no tense in Mandarine, the pronunciation of 'he' and 'she' are same in Mandarine, that is the two major mistakes I often make in spoken English, maybe I have to live with it, there is no solution, they say the parts of brain that control native language and foreign language are different.

I like the boring midwest life, I can live that way for ever.

American life is boring, in a good way though. I can sit on the patio at dusk for hours, day dreaming, with a cat sleeping on my feet. Every week I spend 10 minutes speaking Chinese calling to my family, but that does not bother me. I feel frustrate sometimes due to the awaraness of my grammar mistakes in speaking English, there are no tense in Mandarine, the pronunciation of 'he' and 'she' are same in Mandarine, that is the two major mistakes I often make in spoken English, maybe I have to live with it, there is no solution, they say the parts of brain that control native language and foreign language are different.

Good for you. I may need you to speak to my fiancee when she arrives in "boring" Central Texas. Enjoy iy all.

As aye,

Jim

Yes one of my biggest mistakes when learning Chinese was the "wo ni ta" way of talking. Americans are so used to saying "he, she, you" during conversations it took a little to learn how to use "wo ni ta"

Example if A is talking to B they are usually looking at each other and if C walks up a common thing to say is "how are you doing?" The person "you" changed from B to C and can change back to person B. Now in Chinese that doesn't happen.

A embarrassing thing is when you mean to say "this is my girlfriend" to someone, the man would actually say "ta shi wo de nu peng you" or I guess what would be even better is "zhe shi wo de nu peng you"

I am still learning Chinese words and grammar. I am also much better at typing Chinese with WinXP's (PRC Pinyin) IME than speaking it.

Useful Chinese translation software and webpages are a blessing.