I know my wife and step-son will get a SS# when they arrive.

does anyone know a circumstance when a W-7 would need to be applied for?

My wife asked me if I needed to get one for her. I told her I didn't think so, but I thought I would put the question out here.

You should have already done this when you filed for 2006 taxes. And it is required. You missed out on some extra money. There is a way to recoup this but others know more about it than I do.

File an amended return, married filing jointly. You will find the tax rate is much lower. Someone can tell you how to handle your wife's income if she had any. But remember that it's unlikely to have been reported to the US government.

And include the W-7, which is needed to get her a TIN taxpayer identification number.

I don't provide half of her support. I send money, I don't think it is half of her support. That is the only way I can claim my wife as an exemption on my taxes to my understanding

It doesn's matter about half of the support. She is your wife period.

if you file married file jointly (MFJ), you will have to furnish proof of her income. that's what i was told if i were to file that status. if you get audited you certainly will have to. additionally, she will have to sign the federal tax return, in addition to the W7. however, she can print off a W7, send her ID to you, and then you only have one way document traffic. if you file MFJ, you will have to mail her the federal tax reutrn to have her sign it, then have her mail that and the W7/IDs/proof of income.

instead i filed married filing separately (MFS), and did not have to furnish proof of her income. i called the IRS and asked since we filed MFS, if she still had to file for herself. they asked how much she made, then said no, she doesn't if she makes under X (forget the value). she also did not have to sign the federal tax return this way. i already had her IDs, so it wasn't a problem there.

the MFJ would've gotten me about 200 more bucks vs the MFS.

if you file married file jointly (MFJ), you will have to furnish proof of her income. that's what i was told if i were to file that status. if you get audited you certainly will have to. additionally, she will have to sign the federal tax return, in addition to the W7. however, she can print off a W7, send her ID to you, and then you only have one way document traffic. if you file MFJ, you will have to mail her the federal tax reutrn to have her sign it, then have her mail that and the W7/IDs/proof of income.

instead i filed married filing separately (MFS), and did not have to furnish proof of her income. i called the IRS and asked since we filed MFS, if she still had to file for herself. they asked how much she made, then said no, she doesn't if she makes under X (forget the value). she also did not have to sign the federal tax return this way. i already had her IDs, so it wasn't a problem there.

My concern was her having to sign the returns and me providing information about her income. I will file single.

More importantly, I think I have to show myself being married on the tax return she will take to the interview, for safety sake in my situation... I didn't know I should have done it before or I would have. My wife actually brought this up to me... She talks on 001 quite frequently.

My concern was her having to sign the returns and me providing information about her income. I will file single.

More importantly, I think I have to show myself being married on the tax return she will take to the interview, for safety sake in my situation... I didn't know I should have done it before or I would have. My wife actually brought this up to me... She talks on 001 quite frequently.

But you aren't single. I think you'll be ok though, but if they ask for the tax returns and see you file single, dunno what they will think. My SO didn't get asked for any financial docs at all, so maybe you will get lucky and not get asked either.

When I was in Shanghai and married and filed my taxes the first year we were married. I filed jointly and was required to get an ITIN for my wife. It took me about 8 weeks and I ended up calling the IRS in the states to get the number over the phone before I sent it in.

If you are married at the time and file as single, it would not be truthfull would it? l certainly wouldn't do that. I would think that may easily be construed as fraud. You could do the married and filing separately but according to the instructions on the 1040 your wife is definitely supposed to have either a social security number or an ITIN. Go to the bottom center column of the 1040 instructions on page 16 and you will find the paragraphs that explains it easily. You can find the 1040 instructions on the IRS web site if you don't have a copy, and it will very clearly state that fact. Also where you check the Filing status block on the 1040, if you look at the number 3 block which is for married filing separately it very clearly says the same thing next to the block. I do think that you may be able to simply apply for the ITIN and then write in applied for and get away with that but I would imagine it would depend on the person who looks at your return as to if they would accept it.

Gale

When I was in Shanghai and married and filed my taxes the first year we were married. I filed jointly and was required to get an ITIN for my wife. It took me about 8 weeks and I ended up calling the IRS in the states to get the number over the phone before I sent it in.

If you are married at the time and file as single, it would not be truthfull would it? l certainly wouldn't do that. I would think that may easily be construed as fraud. You could do the married and filing separately but according to the instructions on the 1040 your wife is definitely supposed to have either a social security number or an ITIN. Go to the bottom center column of the 1040 instructions on page 16 and you will find the paragraphs that explains it easily. You can find the 1040 instructions on the IRS web site if you don't have a copy, and it will very clearly state that fact. Also where you check the Filing status block on the 1040, if you look at the number 3 block which is for married filing separately it very clearly says the same thing next to the block. I do think that you may be able to simply apply for the ITIN and then write in applied for and get away with that but I would imagine it would depend on the person who looks at your return as to if they would accept it.

Gale

who, me?

i already got my taxes processed and returned in about 6 weeks, including her ITIN. when you file in the states you submit the W7 with the federal tax return to the Pen. state address, not the Austin address like normal. They process your W7, produce an ITIN and attach that to the federal taxes for processing as either MFJ/MFS. You don't need to submit for a W7 first, wait for it, then submit the federal forms.

If it were not for CFL then I would have not known also. It is good evidence of a relationship added to what you already have. Getting an ITIN for her is much easier than getting a visa for her. I won't say any more. :)

If it were not for CFL then I would have not known also. It is good evidence of a relationship added to what you already have. Getting an ITIN for her is much easier than getting a visa for her. I won't say any more. :rolleyes:

You are right buddy... here is a link to more discussion on VJ

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry683726

I actually meant I would file married fililing separately. this probably won't make much of a difference in my taxes as it might if I was filing married filing joint.

I'm not sure if I will go back and do an amendment to last years taxes though.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

I don't provide half of her support. I send money, I don't think it is half of her support. That is the only way I can claim my wife as an exemption on my taxes to my understanding

It doesn's matter about half of the support. She is your wife period.

You were right my friend... I just filled out the Amendment.... "we" are due some extra money.... But I guess I will have to hold onto the check until she comes here? IT will be in both our names... anyway around that?

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

In the case of my K2 daughter, she was not eligible for an SSN until her AOS was approved. We filed for an ITIN using the W7, but it took more than four months to get it. Her AOS was approved before it arrived, after which it was easy to get the SSN. I then filed the ammended return, which produced a handsome and welcome sum of cash.