Translation of Chinese Driver License and Driving Record

My fiancee asked me this morning if she needs to have her Chinese drivers license and driving record translated and notarized for use in the US. She read on 001 that if she has this, it would help her with obtaining a driver license here and her clean driving record would help her with a discount on our car insurance here.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety Drivers License Division, she will be required to take a vision test, the written test and driving test, even with her Chinese drivers license. I told her this and she said I am mistaken, because she read it on the "all knowing" 001 site. Oh well.

As to her driving record, my insurance agent is out this week, so no answer on that, yet.

I honestly don't seed the need for her to go through the time and expense (my expense) of translating and notarizing these two Chinese documents as they are probably not of any use here in the US. I asked her how much for the translation and notarization and she said around 800 RMB each, which seems like a huge rip off to me. I don't remember her birth certificate, etc. costing that much to translate and notarize. Anyone here have any experience with either or both documents?

As aye,

Jim

Just beware that there is so much false information, rumor and gossiping going on in "001" it's not even funny. Trust me, I read the posts there all the time.

I don't know if a Chinese driver's license would help any as far as getting her insured here in the states. I will let others who had experiences in this area to fill in.

As for our SOs getting their new driver's license, I don't think the Chinese one helps at all. They still have to start from the written test and the driving permit just like any teenagers here. The only foreign driver's license that I know would help any is a Canadian Driver's license. It would allow you to skip the written test and go straight for the driving test. At least that was the case for me back in 1984 in California. All I had to show DMV was my British passport (issued in HK) and my Canadian driver's license. I got my temp license after the road test and the regular one was in the mail a couple weeks later. Every states is different and the law might have been changed but I highly doubt that.

I have progressive insurance... They said that she is basically like a new driver. They can't verify her driving history in China.

Also, if she does show her Chinese license when she tries to get her American one, they will probably demand that she hand over her Chinese license. That's what they tried to do to my wife. When she went for her permit, they asked her if she had a Chinese drivers license. She said yes. She was hoping that they would give her an American license. They wouldn't. She had to get a permit, then take all the tests. They also demanded she hand over her Chinese License. They said, "You must turn over all pervious licenses and id's." I tried to explain that She can't drive in China with an american license, that she would lose her ability to drive in China if she did this... They wouldn't give in... We had to go to another DMV and lie...

Jim,

Lily passed the TN Driver's license written test last week and received her "TN Certificate for Driving" learner's permit. She had her Chinese driver's license certified translated document, but they didn't want to see it. She was never on 001, but her chinese friends who are all knowing about all USA things had told her before she left china to have this done and she would be able to get her TN license with no trouble. Of course this wasn't the case, but nevertheless, she is very proud of having passed the written portion. I'm very proud of her too, as she had studied hard and only missed 6 out of 60 questions.

TN will issue a "Certificate for Driving" without a green card or SS number. It states on the front "For Driving Purposes only..Not for Identification"

We've been on a few driving runs already, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to "unteach" her chinese driving techniques

Hank

Thanks for all the information. From my conversation with the Texas Department of Public Safety, I knew she would have to start from scratch with obtaining a driver license. I wasn't sure about the insurance part.

Hank, I'm afraid I'm gonna be in the same boat as you and try and untrain some of her Chinese driving techniques like no passing on the right side by driving on the shoulder or through a ditch. Luckily, we are in a rural area, so it might be a little easier. However, I do worry about her driving if she comes upon a cow that is loose on the road. She might get that smile on her face and be thinking about that TV commercial, "Beef, it's what's for dinner tonight".

As aye,

Jim

My fiancee asked me this morning if she needs to have her Chinese drivers license and driving record translated and notarized for use in the US. She read on 001 that if she has this, it would help her with obtaining a driver license here and her clean driving record would help her with a discount on our car insurance here.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety Drivers License Division, she will be required to take a vision test, the written test and driving test, even with her Chinese drivers license. I told her this and she said I am mistaken, because she read it on the "all knowing" 001 site. Oh well.

As to her driving record, my insurance agent is out this week, so no answer on that, yet.

I honestly don't seed the need for her to go through the time and expense (my expense) of translating and notarizing these two Chinese documents as they are probably not of any use here in the US. I asked her how much for the translation and notarization and she said around 800 RMB each, which seems like a huge rip off to me. I don't remember her birth certificate, etc. costing that much to translate and notarize. Anyone here have any experience with either or both documents?

As aye,

Jim

My wife asked me the same thing, and because she read the same site.

We don't have the time, but I wouldn't make her do it anyways. she can drive fine, so i'm confident she can the easy 20-30 question test, and the driving test with no problem.