"Official" Living in China DCF thread/subsection?

Maybe we could start an official DCF thread. I have found that most of the people here on this forum are living in the US while the wife is in China (K-1, K-3, etc). Their main obstacle is proving the relationship. We DCF'ers living in China have the opposite set of difficulties such as proving domicile in the US and income (due to the fact we are earning RMB and the exchange rate is low). I think all the DCF people should consolidate their posts/concerns in one place to see how the process went for the other DCF members. I have yet to file my I-130, but when I do I will be sure to report my progress (for my particular situation look here: http://candleforlove...howtopic=25693) or any problems I encounter in this thread. What do you all think? Start a Living in China DCF thread/subsection, or are there too few of us to even bother?

There is a CFL DCF FAQ which has collected their experiences, comments, links to threads and timelines as examples.

DCFers made up 10% of our visa interviews last year, although it is running about 7% so far this year...

They also tend to come and go quickly; showing up when they have a question, but rarely "hanging out" here.

Personally, I don't see a need for a subsection for them since the FAQ attempted to do that for DCFers. I'm happy to put more information in the FAQ as needed for this sub-group of filers... so please give me any comments you want on your experience or review of the DCF FAQ..

I'm a DCF-er, and hang out, but I don't often read this particular thread... I wish we DCF-er's would be better at helping those that came after us...

When I read this thread and see a question about DCF-ing, I do post, but I end up having so skim over all the k1/k3 questions to find them.

what is DCF?

It is when you file your I-130 directly at the American Embassy in China. This is for people living in China.

DCF is an acronym that the end user community created. There is no official recognition of DCF, which stands for Direct Consular Filing. Yes, many Consulates and Embassies do allow this direct form of filing through them, but you won't find DCF or (Direct Consular Filing) talked about on any official government websites.

It seems since the last forum shuffle, we've let DCF filing questions stay here... since this is for USCIS filing... although DCF files to USCIS overseas at the consulate... and they never go through NVC...

I would be game to pin this in the Consulate Process forum instead of here (too many pinned here already), but it might not be obvious to other DCFers...

or Don makes a sub forum under Consulate Process...

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I filed an I-130 in Beijing (DCF). It was rather painless. I simply handed the man our documents, he looked them over and said that he had all he needed. After that we had to take a short taxi ride to American Citizen Services and pay the fee. We took the receipt back to USCIS and we were finished. The whole thing took less than an hour.

:D Let the journey begin!

Everything went fine for us until hubby lost his passport! You might want to do a search for my posts. The replies I got to my questions really helped a lot!! I went from clueless to informed through Candle.

In terms of domicile, we just had a copy of my drivers license and a few bank statements with my US address. My mom was a co-sponsor, and I was even unemployed when we went for the interview. It wasn't a problem.

Has been tougher for some who don't have current drivers licenses (make a note to make sure yours is up to date before the interview) or any connections to the US.

Also note that, if you are working in China with a good job and decent pay, you can use that to help get your SO a tourist visa to the States. Even though my husband wasn't in a great position to get a tourist visa, letters from my employer stating my contract and salary along with notarized invite letters from my family, enabled us to get him that visa, which i think subsequently helped us get Pink!

Just don't lose the passport after you get the visa!

PM me if you have more questions.

Heather

xiaoheather,

Sorry to hear about the lost passport, my wife and I just mailed the I-130 application to Beijing about a week ago now, paid the $190 here in Shanghai. Now it's time to wait wait wait. I expect to at least hear that they received the package in a week or so (besides the DHL delivery receipt).

mandarinstudent,

Since we filed so close together I'll keep you informed of who our application is going.