Elevators in China

We went to the 70-story SEG Plaza skysraper in Shen Zhen. We took the elevator to the top. As we were going up I noticed in the mirrors that I was the tallest person in there. All I could see was my head above a sea of black little heads! It was funny! Talk about "fish in a barrel!" :)

http://i14.tinypic.com/642mrev.jpg

The thing that left an impression on me about Chinese elevators was in department stores. A herd stood in front of the door waiting for it to open. As soon as it did, there was a mad rush to get in as others were trying to get out. After the crowd got in and the door was trying to close, there were still people in running back mode trying to force their way in. Talk about sardines in a can.

:lol: :o :lol:

I remember that! It was the same thing for buses and the subway lines in Shanghai. One camp trying to disembark and the other camp trying to embark all at the same time. It's entertaining to watch, but NOT if you're the one trying to get off. This has happened to me numerous times in Shanghai. It was NOT fun or funny while I was experiencing it in real time.

Incidentally, a very different thing happened in San Francisco. One day my wife and I went on a public transportation spree. We were on a public bus in SF and this very rotund older lady needed to disembark. This particular line we were on was completely packed to the max. Instead of getting ready to disembark a stop or two ahead, this lady waited until we were already at the stop before trying to get up from her seat to start disembarking. As she was quite portly, it took her significant effort and time just trying to rise from her seat. It took another 5 minutes for her to squeeze through the packed bus to get to the exit door and disembark. The bus driver even came back to help her disembark. Admittedly, she was a senior citizen and it was appropriate that this extra courtesy was offered to the lady, but my wife was just blown away at this treatment. She said in Shanghai there's no way in hell the other people on the bus would have tolerated this long delay for one lady to disembark. :lol: And I know from personal experience that there's no way this treatment would have been offered in SH as well.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

The thing that left an impression on me about Chinese elevators was in department stores. A herd stood in front of the door waiting for it to open. As soon as it did, there was a mad rush to get in as others were trying to get out. After the crowd got in and the door was trying to close, there were still people in running back mode trying to force their way in. Talk about sardines in a can.

:o :lol: :lol:

I remember that! It was the same thing for buses and the subway lines in Shanghai. One camp trying to disembark and the other camp trying to embark all at the same time. It's entertaining to watch, but NOT if you're the one trying to get off. This has happened to me numerous times in Shanghai. It was NOT fun or funny while I was experiencing it in real time.

:D

This drove me CRAZY in SH as well. And not just the first time. Every time it happened it would piss me off. :lol: Finally I just started grabbing my SO's hand and barrelling through the people getting on the subway or bus as we were trying to get off. When in Rome...

She would just laugh and say "This is normal." :)

At least one advantage we Americans have in this mayhem is that most of us are much bigger than the average Chinese, so once we learn to push like the natives--we always win.

:P

This would be the "might makes right" doctrine. I'm a little surprised to see this from you Brother Curt. :o

At least one advantage we Americans have in this mayhem is that most of us are much bigger than the average Chinese, so once we learn to push like the natives--we always win.

This would be the "might makes right" doctrine. I'm a little surprised to see this from you Brother Curt. :P

:P When in China I try to do what the locals do and do what Lao Po tells me. She tells me to push, I push....I can't help it if I'm big enough to be really good at it..... :P :o

This would be the "might makes right" doctrine. I'm a little surprised to see this from you Brother Curt. :P

:P When in China I try to do what the locals do and do what Lao Po tells me. She tells me to push, I push....I can't help it if I'm big enough to be really good at it..... :P :o

Ok, if it's sanctioned by your wife, I suppose it's ok. :P

Now, as for the topic of elevators, one time I was in Wuxi, Jiangsu province. This was a ways back (1993). I was in one restaurant--multiple stories--and took the elevator up a couple stories. Upon reaching the 3rd floor and exiting, the doors immediately began to shut, before I had barely enough time to start existing the elevator. So it was basically closing in on me while I was just walking over the threshold. I was a little pissed and brashly extended by hands/arms out to strongly protest this closure with some force. Well, wouldn't you know it, the construction of the elevator was just terrible. By my mild use of force, I broke the doors. It wouldn't close then. :P I had broken their elevator.

Ok, if it's sanctioned by your wife, I suppose it's ok. :P

Now, as for the topic of elevators, one time I was in Wuxi, Jiangsu province. This was a ways back (1993). I was in one restaurant--multiple stories--and took the elevator up a couple stories. Upon reaching the 3rd floor and exiting, the doors immediately began to shut, before I had barely enough time to start existing the elevator. So it was basically closing in on me while I was just walking over the threshold. I was a little pissed and brashly extended by hands/arms out to strongly protest this closure with some force. Well, wouldn't you know it, the construction of the elevator was just terrible. By my mild use of force, I broke the doors. It wouldn't close then. :o I had broken their elevator.

A similar case in Houston, with more dramatic results.

:lol:

:P When in China I try to do what the locals do and do what Lao Po tells me. She tells me to push, I push....I can't help it if I'm big enough to be really good at it..... :P :lol:

Ok, if it's sanctioned by your wife, I suppose it's ok. :ok:

Now, as for the topic of elevators, one time I was in Wuxi, Jiangsu province. This was a ways back (1993). I was in one restaurant--multiple stories--and took the elevator up a couple stories. Upon reaching the 3rd floor and exiting, the doors immediately began to shut, before I had barely enough time to start existing the elevator. So it was basically closing in on me while I was just walking over the threshold. I was a little pissed and brashly extended by hands/arms out to strongly protest this closure with some force. Well, wouldn't you know it, the construction of the elevator was just terrible. By my mild use of force, I broke the doors. It wouldn't close then. :( I had broken their elevator.

Remind me to never get you really mad at me.... :)

Speaking of Wuxi, that was one of the few places I've been where I was told bluntly, "Do not go out after dark alone." Of course I did but not too far from my hotel. Did you go out to see that huge Buddha on Tai Lake? That is freakin' awesome!

Ok, if it's sanctioned by your wife, I suppose it's ok. :)

Now, as for the topic of elevators, one time I was in Wuxi, Jiangsu province. This was a ways back (1993). I was in one restaurant--multiple stories--and took the elevator up a couple stories. Upon reaching the 3rd floor and exiting, the doors immediately began to shut, before I had barely enough time to start existing the elevator. So it was basically closing in on me while I was just walking over the threshold. I was a little pissed and brashly extended by hands/arms out to strongly protest this closure with some force. Well, wouldn't you know it, the construction of the elevator was just terrible. By my mild use of force, I broke the doors. It wouldn't close then. :lol: I had broken their elevator.

That's terrible. What a horrible way to go. And it sounds like the woman was stuck alone in the elevator with the guy's head.

Ok, if it's sanctioned by your wife, I suppose it's ok. :lol:

Now, as for the topic of elevators, one time I was in Wuxi, Jiangsu province. This was a ways back (1993). I was in one restaurant--multiple stories--and took the elevator up a couple stories. Upon reaching the 3rd floor and exiting, the doors immediately began to shut, before I had barely enough time to start existing the elevator. So it was basically closing in on me while I was just walking over the threshold. I was a little pissed and brashly extended by hands/arms out to strongly protest this closure with some force. Well, wouldn't you know it, the construction of the elevator was just terrible. By my mild use of force, I broke the doors. It wouldn't close then. :( I had broken their elevator.

Oh my god! :ok: That is absolutely insane! And in a hospital elevator. Irony beyond belief. :) I guess I should be extremely thankful the Chinese elevator then were of very cheap construction. Otherwise I might have been sliced in half too as I tried to exit it. :lol:

Kurt, as for the Buddha, I'm not sure--as it was a while ago--but I suspect I probably saw it.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

Ok, if it's sanctioned by your wife, I suppose it's ok. :lol:

Oh my god! :ok: That is absolutely insane! And in a hospital elevator. Irony beyond belief. :) I guess I should be extremely thankful the Chinese elevator then were of very cheap construction. Otherwise I might have been sliced in half too as I tried to exit it. :lol:

Kurt, as for the Buddha, I'm not sure--as it was a while ago--but I suspect I probably saw it.

http://www.userfriendlyonline.com/wuxi10704/