I-130 Cover letter question

I'm thinking about how to write my I-130 cover letter. I have looked at some examples and they all look cut and dry, i.e. "I am a US citizen and I wish to bring my spouse with me..." However, we are a young couple with no assets (house, accounts, children, etc.) to help "prove" our marriage is legit. The reason we are going to go back to the US (we are living in China now and will be until July 2008)is because I plan on getting a Master's degree and while I am doing that we are going to stay with my parents. I already know the school I will be going to and my parents agreed to sponsor us on the I-864.

Here is my question: When writing the cover letter, is it better to keep it short and sweet, or add the details? On one hand, the details will explain why we don't have assets (we are recent college grads..poor..etc) and gives a detailed account of what we plan to do when we get to the US. On the other hand, everyone knows that when you deal with the immigration people, the less you tell them, the better. Supplying detail is not always the best way to go. What do you all think? Or am I just over analyzing...?

Edited by mandarinstudent (see edit history)

Here is my question: When writing the cover letter, is it better to keep it short and sweet, or add the details? On one hand, the details will explain why we don't have assets (we are recent college grads..poor..etc) and gives a detailed account of what we plan to do when we get to the US. On the other hand, everyone knows that when you deal with the immigration people, the less you tell them, the better. Supplying detail is not always the best way to go. What do you all think? Or am I just over analyzing...?

This is a very good question !! You are not over analyzing. :P

I am heading out the door with my two young kids right now for late dinner.....I will try and give you my two cents worth on this and how I approached this on both my I-130 and I-129F, a little later.

As in all things in life, everone has their own opinion. I listened to all, then I did what I thought I needed to do !! Simple.

Again, I will try and post some thoughts later tonight or in the morning.

Understand, I love to write and I have been in the 'business' for many years, so this may be a clue to you as to my approach !!?? B)

Say what you need to get the point across. Detail is fine but try and keep emotion out of it. A good level head gets the point across.

Like Charels said.

Keep it short and simple and to the point.

Do not give them something they are not asking for.

Do not give them something to hold you to.

It sould like you already know what to say!!

But keep it simple and sweet.

Your cover letter should only be a basic index of what is included in the packet of papers you are filing. Offer no explanations or evidence in your cover letter.

You will gain no sympathy or understanding by the USCIS/DOS if you volunteer information that is not required. Most often it has the opposite affect and can result in a laundry list of additional evidence requirements when you get to the interview, usually on a blue slip.

One member had his fianc¨¦e present a letter at the interview stating he did not have enough vacation time available to attend the interview and the VO demanded they provide an affidavit from his employer stating how much vacation time he had available. This had absolutely nothing to do with the qualifications for receiving a visa.

The point is that if you make a statement in any part of the visa process they can and many times require you to prove it.

Keep it short, sweet and simple. Make no statements that are not supported by the evidence you are providing. If they want more information they will ask.

Your situation is not unlike many others living in China. You're married and returning to the US with arrangements on for place to live and a co-sponsor for the visa holder. This is pretty much all that is needed.

Your cover letter should only be a basic index of what is included in the packet of papers you are filing. Offer no explanations or evidence in your cover letter.

You will gain no sympathy or understanding by the USCIS/DOS if you volunteer information that is not required. Most often it has the opposite affect and can result in a laundry list of additional evidence requirements when you get to the interview, usually on a blue slip.

One member had his fiancée present a letter at the interview stating he did not have enough vacation time available to attend the interview and the VO demanded they provide an affidavit from his employer stating how much vacation time he had available. This had absolutely nothing to do with the qualifications for receiving a visa.

The point is that if you make a statement in any part of the visa process they can and many times require you to prove it.

Keep it short, sweet and simple. Make no statements that are not supported by the evidence you are providing. If they want more information they will ask.

Your situation is not unlike many others living in China. You're married and returning to the US with arrangements on for place to live and a co-sponsor for the visa holder. This is pretty much all that is needed.

So, I should include with my I-130 a letter from my parents stating that they intend to let us stay with them when we go to the US? I thought that sort of thing was needed in the next step after the I-130 was approved.

Edited by mandarinstudent (see edit history)

Bro, maybe I'm wrong, but I never heard of anyone using the cover letter to explain their case to USCIS. The cover letter, as I know it, is used only to explain/list the contents of what you submitted in an orderly fashion so as to cheer up the USCIS agent and maybe get your papers processed efficiently and accurately.

You get to explain yourself at the interview in Guz, after they invite you, 9 months later. :rotfl:

One member had his fiancée present a letter at the interview stating he did not have enough vacation time available to attend the interview and the VO demanded they provide an affidavit from his employer stating how much vacation time he had available. This had absolutely nothing to do with the qualifications for receiving a visa.

So, I should include with my I-130 a letter from my parents stating that they intend to let us stay with them when we go to the US? I thought that sort of thing was needed in the next step after the I-130 was approved.

For the I-130 you need

Proof of Citizenship

Proof of marriage

Proof of prior divorces

Passport pictures(2)

G-325a
for each of you

Evidence of Relationship(pictures work here if you have nothing else)

The I-130 doesn't ask for a letter or proof of where you will live in the

US, so why volunteer any information that is not required as it can potentially cause you grief and slow down the process.

The purpose of filing the I-130 is to get it approved with the least amount of effort. Supplying more than they request is not a good thing.

The purpose of the interview is to review any evidence needed for the visa issuance, such as a letter from your parents and I-864.

This is the point I was going to make in my response. All ¡®cover letters¡¯ are not alike; in the case of the I-130 file, the cover letter is only a transmittal document which serves the purpose of documenting (1) the purpose/type of file. (2) who it is from and who it is addressed to. (3) a detailed table of contents of each item within the file, and your signature.

I know many here, have for a long time, subscribed to the philosophy that less is best, with respect to information supplied in the case file to the powers to be. However, there was a [change] to the process a few months ago, wherein they now want additional documentation under the heading of ¡°Evidence of a Bona Fide Marriage¡±. This is where I supplied additional information and expanded with a couple of memos to the file, and each included on the table of contents. As this is so new, I and maybe only a few others will first have interviews, over the next several months, within the scope of this change. Therefore, the jury is still out, with regard to how to approach this request for enhanced information and any success/failure in this regard. IMO, there is one reason that they are requesting this additional and expanded information: To more easily detect cases which are fraudulent within the CR-1 and/or K-3 process.

Ultimately, I approached this in the way I felt most comfortable and this was my decision, based on my background and specific work experience/training within an investigative system which is based on profiles and indicators. While items #1 through #4 within the guide were not applicable to me, I did supply items #5 and #6. I included three affidavits from close friends and family members. I downloaded an official affidavit form which was recognized in my state of residence and used it as the format. Moreover, I included the other requested relevant documentation ¡°to establish there is an ongoing marital union.¡±

Again, each item I supplied was relevant and fully supportable and which would be strong ¡®indicators¡¯ within an investigative ¡®profile¡¯ of a bona fide relationship. These included an ¡®Evolution of Relationship¡¯ memorandum to the file and in this regard, I told it like it was, with respect to the depth of our relationship. Next, our joint tax return (Form 1040) for 2006, and the approved IRS form W-7 and application for her ITIN. Also, I included the official notice form from my employer (govt. agency) which documented the inclusion of both wife and daughter on my medical/dental insurance plan. The actual hard copies of the Blue Cross cards arrived just prior to submission, so I also included copies of them. Further, as we do talk on the telephone multiple times, each and every day (avg. 100 to 125 hours per month) I included a composite (random sample) of my phone logs for several days of each month, since we first met in 2005. Last, I included notarized photo copies of my passport with PRC travel visas and each of the entry/exit stamps for my three trips to visit her. I also included a notarized color copy of my valid CDL. I ensured in my file, that every potential red-flag was addressed in a logical and intelligent manner; why wait to discuss/answer issues during the interview stage ?? Remember, this file is dynamic along the entire path from the SC to NBC to NVC (including FBI/NCIC and IRS review) and then on to GUZ. It is reviewed systematically and it is notated accordingly at each step of the process. When the IVO at GUZ receives it, he/she has a clear map of the road traveled, for them to deal with accordingly¡­..IMO.

With respect to photos, I did include a representative group of five photos for each of my three visits to her in Guangzhou. One of the groupings was of our wedding, including photos of her, me, and daughter, with her immediate family. All photos were easy to view, high quality color 8x10¡¯s, with a descriptive label attached to each. I just two-hole top punched them and separated them by trip, with tabs so they would be easy to view.

Final note: In the VJ I-130 Guide, under Evidence of a Bona Fide marriage, the words bona fide are spelled incorrectly in the heading, and then spelled correctly within the body of the information. To avoid confusion, it is ¡®bona fide¡¯ not boni fide.

I hope this is of some help. I have great comfort with how I approached my filing, because my marriage and relationship with my Lao Po, is what it is. Maybe some will disagree with my approach and premise; however, ultimately we must each do what we have comfort with, after assessing all the (latest) available information and coupling that with our own unique instincts, training, common sense, and other anecdotal information we have come across.

As for the bona fides of the marriage most on CFL can only meet item 6, due to the short length of time they have been married. Wedding pictures and pictures of the couple with family is about all they expect.

Be cautious about supplying affidavits, because the person signing must explain how they know the couple and how they gained personal knowledge of the bona fides. This is impossible to do if they only know one party in the marriage. It is also not reasonable for someone who has only met the couple once, such as at their wedding to speak to the bona fides as well.

The USCIS knows that a marriage of 1-3 months will have little or no evidence available to them that speaks to the bona fides of a marriage other than a marriage license and pictures. If they receive a ton of evidence something is extremely wrong or someone is lying to them.

As for the bona fides of the marriage most on CFL can only meet item 6, due to the short length of time they have been married. Wedding pictures and pictures of the couple with family is about all they expect.

Be cautious about supplying affidavits, because the person signing must explain how they know the couple and how they gained personal knowledge of the bona fides. This is impossible to do if they only know one party in the marriage. It is also not reasonable for someone who has only met the couple once, such as at their wedding to speak to the bona fides as well.

The USCIS knows that a marriage of 1-3 months will have little or no evidence available to them that speaks to the bona fides of a marriage other than a marriage license and pictures. If they receive a ton of evidence something is extremely wrong or someone is lying to them.

YIKES !! :P

Lee, you are a very kind knowledgeable man, a senior member here at CFL, and I respect your opinions very much.

I have read you latest post several times and I am trying to understand all that you convey as this is such an important issue for so many of us here at CFL.

With respect to the affidavits, when I had mine prepared for submission, I could find [no] guidelines and/or comprehensive support information, other than the I-130 instruction pages and of course, the guide at V-J. Moreover, I do not recall any detailed information here at CFL in regard to the preparation and ¡®rules¡¯ for content of the affidavits.

In my instant case, I used my two older brothers, both University level educators, who have known of my relationship since its inception, and who each have conversed with Lao Po on the phone and have heard me converse with her and speak of her dozens of times. They both know and understand me intimately and being responsible members of the community, were prepared to testify to the truthfulness/validity of the relationship. This, vs. someone perpetrating fraud and not being able to find a legitimate individual to affirm/support and be able to articulate that affirmation.

Next, I utilized a close personal friend, older than me and a successful business owner and respected member of my community. He actually traveled to China with me and spent two weeks in the company of my wife, daughter, and the entire Chinese family. He testified to not only the evolution of the relationship in July of 2005, which he was aware of; he also spoke to the actual marriage seven months ago in Guangzhou, and also the depth of the relationship which he observed on a first-hand daily basis. He, too, would without hesitation come forward and testify to any USCIS officer of his observations.

In your opinion, will these affidavits be dismissed outright by USCIS as not reaching a certain level of validity ?? If so, then they (USCIS) should have posted the standards and guidelines for their expectations in this regard, to save everyone a lot of wasted time and energy.

Also, it would seem to me that the inclusion of the spouse on the most current year of Federal 1040 Tax filing, and receipt of a W-7, would be a very legitimate indication of bona fides ?? It would appear to me, that the perpetrator of fraud will not achieve this level of action.

Last, while many petitioners may not have the ability to immediately provide medical/dental coverage for the spouse and child, I am blessed with 33 years of seniority with an agency which provides a very high level of medical and dental coverage for its uniformed members, as part of the total pay and benefits package. All of my US children are covered until age 22 and my new wife and our daughter are covered effective tomorrow, even before they arrived in the US. Again, it seemed logical to me to include this as evidence of bona fides, as the fraud perpetrator would again, not rise to this level of action.

You must understand, with certain exceptions, these investigators who look at these files day in and day out, at USCIS and at the DOS/NVC, can generally spot the suspect files very easily and very quickly. Likewise, the really bona fide case files stand out too. I am neither a liar, nor do I have anything extremely wrong in my filing. ;) I just submitted a lot of material with my file which I felt was real and legitimate.

Am I missing something here, or should I just expect a Blue-Slip and go ahead and proactively schedule my overcome appointment, in advance, on Monday morning ?? :lol: :P