How long does it take to go through customs with CR-1?

We're trying to plan our trip to the States, and we were thinking of taking a long layover in San Francisco or LA to make a quick trip into town. When I travel by myself, I usually plan on about 45 minutes to 1.5 hours for customs. Will it take longer since my wife will be entering for the first time on her CR-1 visa? Does she need to go through the visa holders line the first time?

Thanks a lot!

Takes longer because the POE officer has to inspect the contents of the sealed brown envelope, and may ask a few questions. Give an extra 30 min or so for the added processing.

We're trying to plan our trip to the States, and we were thinking of taking a long layover in San Francisco or LA to make a quick trip into town. When I travel by myself, I usually plan on about 45 minutes to 1.5 hours for customs. Will it take longer since my wife will be entering for the first time on her CR-1 visa? Does she need to go through the visa holders line the first time?

Thanks a lot!

For the first time entering into US, your wife has to be in the New Immigrant line (separate line holding the brown envelope). Sometimes there are several flights come in together, the line may be pretty long (20 to 50 people easily ), and everyone has to make the finger prints, the officer will ask you a couple questions at least. I personal wasn't taken to another room for more check, but I heard people were talking about they were taken to a separate room for more check and wait.

Thanks a lot, you two. Good to know it won't take too long. Wish I could be in line with her though :roller:

O but you can go thru that line with her

or should I say it wasn't a problem when we went

thru San Fran back in Dec.

"Just walk up there like you own the place

had them both passports and the big brown

sealed envelope and smile real pretty"

but really most of these folks or very nice and

helpful.... if they make you go back to the other

side/line so be it

Congrats and welcome to the USA!!!

Bobby....

side/line so be it

Bobby....

Awesome!

side/line so be it

Bobby....

Awesome!

Yes I traveled back to the states with my Yu, and went through the POE line with Yu, this is allowed and expected, the POE officer can ask the US Citizen a few questions too.