Where did your SO live? Where do you live now?

After reading many posts I am curious as to the environment that you all live. In my case I live on a 60 acre hobby farm in the middle of Amish country. We are on a dirt road that sees more horses and buggies in a day than vehicles. Limei grew up in Shangdong district in the country but has lived in Guangzhou for the past 4 years. I was curious to see if she would like the country style living and was prepared to move if she did not. She has been here for a month and absolutely loves our home and privacy. She has insisted that we buy more steers, which we have and the vegetable garden is her little paradise. Amazingly she is already driving the john deere tractor and brush hogging the fields and mowing the yard with the rider, and the whole time she is wearing the biggest smile. Her new excitement is fishing, which she had never done before. I have so much enjoyed watching her settle into her new home. She is like a child with every new thing that is shown to her, full of eagerness and interest. I have yet to see her express a moment of sadness or doubt about her move here. It is a wonderful joy for me to share this new life with her and we both greet each new day with enthusiasm.

So how many of you have brought your loved one from a totally different environment and how have they adjusted?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in a very quiet suburb outside Chicago. My SO grew up in Shanghai and now lives in Shenzhen so the difference will be pretty huge for her.

But she keeps telling me that she wants to live somewhere quiet and out of the city so we'll see.

If she adjusts half as well as Limei, I'll be very happy. :lol:

My wife came from Nanning to Portland. A city about half the size. I think the thing she likes most is how quiet our neighborhood is. Another thing she loves is how green and beautiful of a city Portland is. She says Nanning is known as the "green city but Portland more green" Since it is a known Chinese fact that looking at green is good for your eyes she likes it here.

Robert, will you adopt me?

My wife loves city life, has informed me that we HAVE to live downtown in a high rise, always.

She wants to know which American city we can live in that is at least as big as Nanjing (11 million people). I told her NONE OF THEM.

I am almost positive we will actually always LIVE here and VISIT America. If it turns out that way, I'll rent our apartment out in Nanjing and move our butts to Hong Kong so I don't go crazy.

Jim

Robert,

I'm packing my bags and moving to your place! It sounds like paradise to me. :blink: I can understand why Limei is so happy there.

Wendy is from a rural village in Jilin Province, but lived in Beijing for the past seven years. Now, we are both in Jackson, MS. Jackson is a small city by most standards. We own 50 acres out in the country and have access to another 500 acres of family land out in the country an hour away from our home, so we go there pretty often and enjoy fishing, hunting and ATV riding, etc. Wendy has also really adapted well to her new environment.

I'm glad to read about your good times.

Juette

My wife is from downtown Chengdu and loves the city... Now, we are living in Marietta, a suburb of Atlanta. She doesn't like it because it's too country. But, she keeps wanting to get chickens, goats, and rabbits. She wants to have a huge garden and plant lots of fruit trees. So, I am not sure what to do... Even in China, she tried to have a small garden in her kitchen.

So glad to hear that things are going so well for you, Robert and Limei!! Put my name on the wait list too :) Sounds like Limei couldn't be happier, and life must be going good for you guys.

I spent my whole life (all 23 years of it) in Milwaukee, WI. The only time I haven't lived there is the 18 months I've spent in China. Half in Beijing and half in Guangzhou, with a month also in Chendu.

Allie was born in Liaoning Province in northern China. That's where her mom's hukou was, her dad's is in Shanghai. Allie's mom passed away when she was 7, and thereafter, when she was 15 went to live in Shanghai with her dad. She also spent 5 years attending Beijing University, 2 years back in Shanghai working, 6 months in Chengdu, and now close to a year in Guangzhou. Pretty nomadic!

I originally didn't limit my job search to anywhere in the US, all 50 states (even applied for a position in Alaska). But, in considering all our options, being that I've got to experience and see what has made Allie Allie and the environment she's been living in for the past 20+ years, we decided to go to the Milwaukee area. That way, she'll get to see and experience everything that's made me me.

I can't wait to take Allie camping for the first time. When we were living in the Chengdu suburbs, she was frightened to walk around outside at night because it was too dark. I wonder what she'll think when it's just me, her, the stars, and all the critters of the forest :)

Catch a fish for me! Take care.....

My wife is from downtown Chengdu and loves the city... Now, we are living in Marietta, a suburb of Atlanta. She doesn't like it because it's too country. But, she keeps wanting to get chickens, goats, and rabbits. She wants to have a huge garden and plant lots of fruit trees. So, I am not sure what to do... Even in China, she tried to have a small garden in her kitchen.

Marietta is too country?? :) What does she say about all the cars and crazy drivers?? :)

My Yu lived at her work place most of the time at a foreign language school in Yangshuo, but home was Guilin in Guangxi province. Yangshuo is considered to be small town, and Guilin is a small City, so she is quite comfortable living here in the suburb of Rochester. Her only problem is that Rochester NY is much cooler than Yangshuo.

Lao Po was raised on a Chongqing farm but moved to the city as a young girl. When she last lived in China it was in a new, gated community, high rise condo.

For the first year in SoCal we lived in a crappy little one bedroom rental apartment ... hot and noisy, with the train tracks about 200 feet away and a crossing that required every train to blow their whistle. She was a trooper and said she'd be happy anywhere, as long as we were together.

In May we bought a duplex home in Anaheim Hills, a nice upscale suburban community. The home is two stories, 2100 sq ft, two master bedroom suites, a very small yard, and a very beautiful view of a park and hills. The community is beautifully landscaped and very well maintained. Our daughter joined us from China after we were in the new home for two weeks.

Lao Po is very very happy in the new home. She loves sitting in the yard and looking out over the hills. We have planted a few tomatoes and overhauled the overgrown small ornamental garden. Just yesterday she planted 4 hanging planters with multi colored vinca.

She, and our daughter, seem to have made the transition very well. I am a lucky guy!

Nearest neighbour - three miles away

Nearest paved road - a mile away

Nearest small town (2000 friendly folks) - eight miles away

Nearest Cities -Austin, Houston, San Antonio - one hour to one and a half hours away

Hiking, fishing, hunting, horseback riding, watching sunsets, gardening, clothes optional activities... oh, and for Don...lot's of pecan trees.

Will she like it? Dunno. She was born are raised in Yichang, Hubei, a fairly large city (population 3.69 million) and been there all 45 years of her life.

http://i14.tinypic.com/2iaxvs9.jpg

As aye,

Jim

Edited by SinoTexas (see edit history)

Nearest Cities -Austin, Houston, San Antonio - one hour to one and a half hours away

Hiking, fishing, hunting, horseback riding, watching sunsets, gardening, clothes optional activities... oh, and for Don...lot's of pecan trees.

Will she like it? Dunno

As aye,

Jim

Hey, those cows are still in the same spot! :ph34r:

Jim, where is your SO from again?

Will she like it? Dunno. She was born are raised in Yichang, Hubei, a fairly large city (population 3.69 million) and been there all 45 years of her life.

As aye,

Jim

Now that is a picture that I can relate to...Very impressive description of your lifestyle. Hope she likes it. Country living for me is like living in your own private world within this bigger world. When do you bring her home?

So glad to hear that things are going so well for you, Robert and Limei!! Put my name on the wait list too :P Sounds like Limei couldn't be happier, and life must be going good for you guys.

I spent my whole life (all 23 years of it) in Milwaukee, WI. The only time I haven't lived there is the 18 months I've spent in China. Half in Beijing and half in Guangzhou, with a month also in Chendu.

Allie was born in Liaoning Province in northern China. That's where her mom's hukou was, her dad's is in Shanghai. Allie's mom passed away when she was 7, and thereafter, when she was 15 went to live in Shanghai with her dad. She also spent 5 years attending Beijing University, 2 years back in Shanghai working, 6 months in Chengdu, and now close to a year in Guangzhou. Pretty nomadic!

I originally didn't limit my job search to anywhere in the US, all 50 states (even applied for a position in Alaska). But, in considering all our options, being that I've got to experience and see what has made Allie Allie and the environment she's been living in for the past 20+ years, we decided to go to the Milwaukee area. That way, she'll get to see and experience everything that's made me me.

I can't wait to take Allie camping for the first time. When we were living in the Chengdu suburbs, she was frightened to walk around outside at night because it was too dark. I wonder what she'll think when it's just me, her, the stars, and all the critters of the forest :)

Catch a fish for me! Take care.....

Hey Dan and Allie: Good to hear from you. Seems like a lot longer than a month since we saw you guys. I will send you a post. Yes..Limei could not be happier!!!