SSN: Need to wait for green card?

Do you need to wait until you get your green card before applying for a social security number? I was reading in the AOS FAQ, but I couldn't find anything about this. Also, the AOS FAQ has an overview of what you do after arriving in the US for K1 and K3, but I didn't see anything of the sort for CR1. Is something like that available somewhere?

Thanks a lot.

On a CR-1 visa you may get SSN automatically if you checked the box on the DS-230 that indicated SSN, if you don't see one in the mail a few weeks after arrival, then visit the SSA office and apply for one.

The green-card usually shows up a few weeks after entry into the country.

Good question. There is a box you can check on the CR-1 forms that give you the option of having the SS card sent to you after entering the US. What I would do is take her passport visa and everything you have down to the SS office and see what they say. If they say no then just come back when the green card arrives.

Good question. There is a box you can check on the CR-1 forms that give you the option of having the SS card sent to you after entering the US. What I would do is take her passport visa and everything you have down to the SS office and see what they say. If they say no then just come back when the green card arrives.

I would wait 2 weeks after entry before going to SSA office, it takes at least that long for DHS to update their SAVE system, and SSA uses that system to confirm a person's entry into the USA, and wont do anything until that record is updated on that system. It is a wasted trip to that office until DHS updates that system.

No, you do not. We just applied for a SS card for my SO (K1) and she will receive it in about two weeks.

The receipt states: "You can use your Social Security card for work only if you have authorization from the Department of Homeland Security."

:P

I would wait 2 weeks after entry before going to SSA office, it takes at least that long for DHS to update their SAVE system, and SSA uses that system to confirm a person's entry into the USA, and wont do anything until that record is updated on that system. It is a wasted trip to that office until DHS updates that system.

She must have been in the system because they did not question it. She has been here since 6/15.

Edited by RLS (see edit history)

No, you do not. We just applied for a SS card for my SO (K1) and she will receive it in about two weeks.

The receipt states: "You can use your Social Security card for work only if you have authorization from the Department of Homeland Security."

She must have been in the system because they did not question it. She has been here since 6/15.

K-1 is different than all other family based visas in that they can get a SSN without a green card or EAD. A CR-1 or IR-1 has the status automatically adjusted upon entry to the US. Dan is correct that it generally takes about 2 weeks for the computer systems to be updated and show the case in their system.

One Note: You can get that notation "Valid with DHS authorization only" removed by visiting SSA office with the green-card in hand, green-card holders (LPR status) are entitled to an un-restricted SSA card.

SEE: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

But that "restriction" doesn't actually restrict anything. The "restricted" card is good for everything that the unrestricted card is.

Having the un-restricted one helps deal with some agencies that seem have a problem with that notation, also helps in employment situations, no need to show EAD or Green to an employer, they will just employ the person without needing to prove DHS authorization.

Examples:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=74151&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=993474

The Disclaimer in these 2 cases caused some headaches.

Any time immigration status changes, report it to SSA, that is Non-immigrant --> AOS (LPR), LPR --> Citizen.

Employers must fill out an I-9 to verify green card or EAD - Social Security does not authorize employment.

But yes, it may be desirable to remove that notation. Considering the lines at the Houston area offices, though, we probably won't bother.

In our area, employers are happy just to see that you're legal.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yeah - when you first enter the country, there's a period of time before you show up in the DHS database. The SSA will not give you a number during this time. Then, when you get the number, there's a period of time before it shows up as a valid number. This can be exacerbated by someone looking in an old database. This is most likely what happened in the first link.

The "restriction" means simply that it was given to someone who did not have a green card - nothing more.

If I'm not mistaken, SSA wants or requires you to get the restriction removed once a green card is issued. That would only apply for K-1 & K-3.

About obtaining a replacement they say

How To Replace Your Card

To get a duplicate card because yours was lost or

stolen, or a corrected card because you have

changed your name, call or visit your local Social

Security office to use this FREE service.

I didn't find anything about removing the "legend", as they refer to it.

They're going to have to try harder than that to get us to wait in line again.

Found this:

U.S. citizens and individuals who are permanent residents receive SSN cards without a restrictive legend. For the purpose of determining a change in restrictive legend, the individual must have a change in immigration status or citizenship which results in a change to or the removal of a restrictive legend when compared to the prior SSN card data. An SSN card request based upon a change in immigration status or citizenship which does not affect the restrictive legend will count toward the yearly and lifetime limits, as in the case of Permanent Resident Aliens who attain U.S. citizenship.
I think they're simply required by law (20CFR 422.103) to put that legend there. Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

But my wife is already work authorized (and her card reads "Valid for employment only with DHS authorization", and NOT "Not valid for Emplyment" - her work eligibility will not change. They're not getting us in line again, for what is apparently cosmetic reasons.

There are always jerks who might give you trouble over the notation - if you can have it removed easily, go for it. Here in Houston, it's a 1/2 day process. No, thanks.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

If I'm not mistaken, SSA wants or requires you to get the restriction removed once a green card is issued. That would only apply for K-1 & K-3.

Correct, it is the case with all visas.

SSA asks that anytime immigration status changes that you inform them of the change. Non-immigrant (K-1) --> LPR (Green-Card) --> US Citizen (Naturalized)

You must report any of the changes listed below to us, because they may affect your eligibility for SSI and your benefit amount:
  • change in citizenship or immigration status;

http://www.ssa.gov/notices/supplemental-se...report-ussi.htm