Processing time for Re-entry Permit (I-131)

Hi, Guys,

I am planning to apply the Re-entry Permit for my wife. I am going to China because of my new job assignment between October and November this year.

The processing date for I-131 for NSC right now is Feb. 12, 2007, which means the process may take more than 4 months. I am afraid that when the case is approved, my wife and I both will be already in China. So, should I ask the USCIS to forward my approval notice or document to the US consulate near where we live in China (in our case it is the US consulate in Shanghai)?

I understand that the processing date listed by USCIS sometimes is quite misleading...Does the USCIS do the security check for I-131 application too?

Any advice,comments and experience are greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day!

Take a look at the processing times for your local district office, our timeline was based on their processing times and not the NSC.

What you might want to do is apply for this and be sure to list your travel plans in Part 3.

If you do not have anything 6-8 weeks prior to departure make an Infopass appointment and see if they can issue you the document. They will more than likely tell you to return 30 days prior to departure, but who knows.